• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If someone wanted to sell 25 guns a one time (not from Elmore's) rather than doing it one at a time.
    What would be the best way to do it?
    Auction, Gun store. table at the 1500?
    Suggestions?

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I would have an auction. Seems to bring the better prices for better stuff. If it's just common Walmart type guns, then just list them for sale.

Last edited:

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Auction ...by far the best way , If you find an auctioneer that wont try to Rape you on commision .

Most dealers will offer you around 50 -70% book
    not to bad if you want to move all of them Fast and not really worry about were they go .

With Auction your going to get 70 -90% of whatever they bring .

If your in no hurry , Get an idea of wht they are worth and offer up for sale to individuals :ingo:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Do it any way that you want!

piece-meal on a forum like this... Maybe ask for one firearm as "comission" for yourself.

Find a dealer who'll allow you consignment space...

Find an auction house and inquire about their commission; probably best avenue for rare and/or high-dollar pieces. Otherwise, probably isn't worth the cost.

-J-

Edit: Just be sure that you're not in the business of resale to make money... BATFE frowns upon that kind of thing if you're not an FFL-holder

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Good comments so far. It would have to be all or none. So I think an auction may be the best way
    Assuming this hypothetical person could not take selling one at a time.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Auctions scare me, it's like rolling the dice sometimes. If you have bad weather or it is just one of those days were the "right" people don't show, you may not get what you want or are expecting. Plus, there is always the auctioneers fees that you have. I believe the key if you go the auction route is to find a good auctioneer that will spend the money and time advertising the auction. Auctioneer's fees can be negotiated. I have been to auctions where gun prices go for fair market value and then some, but I have also seen auctions where the prices were way below fair market value.

I like the idea of getting a table at a gun show and doing the selling myself. By doing this, you can take out the risky variables that are associated with an auction. :twocents:

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    The type of auction where I see guns go for high prices are at Estate auctions. Thus the auction will have to be held at the hypothetical's place of residence. If any of these guns are Colt's or Winchesters then the collectors will come from far and wide and bid the sky. If we are talking JC Higgins, Sears brands, Marlin 60's then take them to a few gun shops and see what you can get. Pick up a blue book and check gunbroker and see what the current market values are for these mystery guns.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    the wife has convinced me to get over it and not to sell. I dunno maybe shes afraid of what hobby I would take up next or whatever.
    I had ruined a match grade barrel on one of my favorite pistols last night and was just re evaluating how I spend my time.
    I am feeling better now though. :)
    Just click "add to cart"

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've said it before, if you want to sell all at once, the best around here.... Christys of Indiana ! Jack has a gun auction just about every two months. Usually a couple different sellers. Even with a lower turnout, like the last one a couple weeks ago, there was probably around 150 or more buyers and they were getting top dollar out of everything!
    Of course, we would rather see you offer them up here first, but Christys would make it real easy on you, you get them all sold in one morning, no phone calls, private messages, meet ups, no shows, etc.!

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Consignment at a local shop or post them here. Guns here are are going for about 80% of full new retail. Better than what you will get at an auction or consignment.

Uncle Lee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tell City
    Long story so I won't go into it.
    After collecting and gathering guns and ammo and acc. all my life, I had to sell everything and move to town to a small apartment.
    I had over 200 firearms and a pickup load of ammo that had to sell in a hurry so I had an auction.
    The commision was only 10%, that was good.
    Auction sales papers went out in IL, KY, OH, and IN.
    In the end I got about 3/4 of what I had in my guns and ammo.
    Not very good.
    This was in the early fall of 2008.
    If I could have waited until obama got elected, I would have got a lot more.

If you have time, sell them one at a time.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I would suggest trying to sell them here, first! You'll have a great bunch of people, who know their stuff, who might buy most or all of them...for a great price! If you need help getting that set up...there are several who will help you! I've sold guns here, in the past, and have had great success with it!

If this doesn't work...I would suggest www.gunbroker.com/ as they hit a much larger market! Be sure to add the price of shipping and FFL transfer fees to the price...or tell them in the narrative that those fees are in addition to the price of a gun. Most FFL's transfer fees are around $20-$25...if more, find a different FFL.

Best...
    Good luck!

Top Bottom