• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingpin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Grant County
    Bad people are smart people they know how to case a place they think might contain things they want to steal. always error on the side of caution, things like gun safes and jewelry cases and big tool boxes full of tools are a great temptation.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I know of a guy who found a hidden room behind a bookshelf in master closet of a house they considered buying. Hanging on the wall were several AKs and piles of ammo on a table in the center. All windows had keyed locks.

I saw several long gun gases when we toured homes two years ago. One was mounted above a fireplace but was clearly an heirloom piece.

My brother left audio recording devices in a home he was selling to listen to comments. Could always do that in your safe room. Video would be better obviously. Or mount a big fake camera with a blinking red LED on the front.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have an opposite opinion. I have always felt and still do, that the knowledge that I own, collect and shoot firearms is much more of a deterrent than a draw to rob my car or home.

Most everything I have learned about criminal activity in my 72 years is that almost all (insane persons exempted) robberies and burglaries are committed as a crime of opportunity. In other words they seek "soft targets" with easy to sell items or cash. They avoid like the plague any properties where they know the people are armed. They also avoid "hardened" sites with no outside cover and/or alarm systems.

As the old saying goes, you don't have to outrun a bear, you just have to be faster than the person you are with! Guns are not hard for any criminal to obtain, they certainly wouldn't rob a house unless the guns are easy to take (in a display case or on the wall) and 1) They are sure no one is home and 2) there are no easier targets in the neighborhood IE: you are in a home with poor outside lighting, easy cover (bushes to hide behind), and isolated with little LEO patrols/protection.

I certainly can't see a BG breaking into a home with a Gun Safe just for the firearms. Takes too long to open, could get shot, no idea of the value of the firearms etc.

This question begs for some information - has ANYONE here EVER had personal knowledge of ANY firearm safe (not a gun cabinet) being broken into in either a robbery or burglary?

Last edited:

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    My wife and I looked at buying a little rental property about a year ago and we were chatting with the agent. I don't remember how we got on the subject, but she told us that she's caught a lot of people over the years going through the homeowners personal belongings during open houses. With that being said I wouldn't leave anything laying around. As it relates to the safe, if you can remove it in advance that might be a good idea. I also like the camera idea.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I looked at 2 homes recently and both houses had liberty safes , one in the garage and one in the master bedroom , owner had advised realtor had to be present in either room while prospective buyer looked in those rooms . My realtor was with me at each house .

indymeh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I sold my house spring of last year. Kept all valuable or gun related items in locked Liberty safe. No issues but the camera doesn't sound like a bad idea in hindsight....

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Ironically I was just thinking about this. I'm not worried about people messing with my safe, but would be slightly concerned with someone casing my house with no intention of buying.

I guess the solution I came up with is: I have two large storage lockers on casters, when the time comes I will probably move those to block the view of my safe. Interesting topic none the less.

theundeadelvis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    I'm in this boat right now (hope it doesn't sink with my precious guns!). I have a safe, and it's out where it will be seen. Not what I consider ideal, but I had no other choice.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I am selling my house right now and nobody has tried to mess with my safe or came back after the showing.

Keep in mind that ppl that are actually buying a house are usually more reputable ppl. They work a good job, in order to be able to afford the house, the bank has approved them. The exception to this rule is scammers but not everyone is a scammer.

forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    sold the house

covered the safe with moving blanket and taped it. During move bought a Klein tool/job box with wheels and loaded it up rolled onto PU truck then into inside storage facility. Note they only insure for a minimal amount. Veteran bought home from Vet so it was cool. Never had an issue but I thought about using trail camera to lower worry but never did.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My basement holds my reloading table and my gun safe, it's very out in the open and there's not a lot I can do to hide it without just packing everything up for the move ahead of time. When I sell my house in a couple of years, I plan on putting up a couple of wireless cameras hooked to a DVR system. That way I can ID the people in my house and make sure they haven't messed with anything.

JC PAINT WORKZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Isnt that why we use safes? What are they going to do start torching it while the relator is distracted?
    I think what he's asking is people using the realtor and the showing to "Scope" out the place and then come back when no one is home. I have heard a lof of stories about people scoping out houses during showings and then the house gets robbed little while later. Same goes with those people who come around at 10pm on a holiday weekend asking to show you their carpet cleaning systems.

JC PAINT WORKZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You would be suprised if the safe is bolted ot the floor tell them it comes with the place for a extra fee. Heck that would be a selling point for me, the wife not so much lol

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Grunt (et alia),

I wouldn't worry too much about a professional burglar using a real estate agent to "scope" your house. Most burglars (95%+) are smash and grab folks who want to get in, grab easy money, and leave.

The really smart ones aren't going to come after you at random. They will do the real work of a professional and your only worry will be if you have some seriously high profile stuff.

That said, you will need to take basic precautions against little fingers that might be curious. My folks took me with them house hunting when I was five (5) and I am sure some buyers need to bring their kids along today. Gun cabinets should be locked to keep the rug rats out.

If you are really worried go get a home security system installed until the house is sold. Then change the code every two (2) weeks. The real estate agent will be ticked about needing new codes all the time but oh well...

I wouldn't want to move my almost 1,000# safe until I was certain where it was going. I do not move it myself and paying to have it moved more than once is not something I want to experience.

Do not forget about jewelry too. Anything of value that could be picked up and walk out is something that needs protecting.

Good luck on the sale and the move!

Regards,

Doug

trgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    South West Indy
    I would be more worried about tv's electronics jewelry etc in the house then guns in a safe. Most people looking at a house are not casing the place. the relator has their name and all info on this person and has already been approved for a mortgage. Are you going to hide everything in the garage? like 4 wheelers motorcycles tools

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I left my safe where it was for normal showings. Realtor is supposed to be with them.

However, I was planning on emptying/moving my guns for the open house that was scheduled. Too many people moseying about on their own for my liking.

Luckily the house sold before the open house.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I would probably move everything you can out. Keep your EDC with you, and if you have a bedside gun or something of the sort, move it when there is a showing. I wouldnt leave ANY guns in the house that you could avoid, even in a safe. As others have said, someone may see a nice big safe and be interested in coming back later to see if you left anything out. I wouldnt try to cover it up or anything, as that will be frustrating for people looking around, and a showing agent may uncover it anyways.

Top Bottom