• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We're getting ready to put my MIL's house up for sale next week. Looking forward to getting it sold, but not looking forward to the process.
    At least this house is empty, so it's always clean and ready to show.

This one is a small 1200sqft 2bdrm 1bath ranch built in the 1950s, but it has a brand new furnace, AC 8 years old, roof also 8 years old, replacement windows throughout, and new entry and storm doors. Also, I had totally re-plumbed the house with PEX, complete with manifold and valves for every service connection a couple of years ago. Inside is rock-solid thick plaster walls and ceiling, all in good shape and we'd like to leave all of the fairly new appliances, fridge, oven, washer & dryer.

I'm just waiting to see what the inspectors say is "Wrong" with this house, other than it does need more insulation in the attic. I've done almost everything that's been done to this house for the last 30 years, and I'm hoping there's nothing serious that comes up in the inspections, I need to catch up on 100 maintenance jobs on my own house for a change.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We're getting ready to put my MIL's house up for sale next week. Looking forward to getting it sold, but not looking forward to the process.

This one is a small 1200sqft 2bdrm 1bath ranch built in the 1950s, but it has a brand new furnace, AC 8 years old, roof also 8 years old, replacement windows throughout, and new entry and storm doors. Also, I had totally re-plumbed the house with PEX, complete with manifold and valves for every service connection a couple of years ago. Inside is rock-solid thick plaster walls and ceiling, all in good shape and we'd like to leave all of the fairly new appliances, fridge, oven, washer & dryer.

I'm just waiting to see what the inspectors say is "Wrong" with this house, other than it does need more insulation in the attic. I've done almost everything that's been done to this house for the last 30 years, and I'm hoping there's nothing serious that comes up in the inspections, I need to catch up on 100 maintenance jobs on my own house for a change.

Wonder what the new neighbors will be like....:):

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Recently drove by there on my way home from trap cause I wanted to see if there were any changes up around north side of Painter. Like to tell you it was the same as it ever was....but actually think the mosquitoes were bout twice as thick as I remembered.

There’s still some nice, sparsely populated areas up there, not as sparse as it used to be, but still not bad. This is the time of year I miss it most.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    If you are stressed out from selling your house why dont you just rent it out and became a landlord that way you wont be stressed by the buyers!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    So here’s what I don’t get 200ish to 185k buys a lot of house down here IMO just gonna grow out a few listings and see if I am right or off?

Up here where I'm at, $230k will get you a 3 bedroom house built in the 1990's with a few issues that will need addressed, but not many. My house is about a mile and a half from Lake Michigan.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

Make sure you leave something obvious for the inspector to find so he doesn't make something more problematic up.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    This is the first time I have ever heard the term "Michigan" basement, what does that mean? I tried googling it, but got nothing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is the first time I have ever heard the term "Michigan" basement, what does that mean? I tried googling it, but got nothing.

Same here. And I grew up in Michigan. Our basement in Flint didn't seem any different than my basement in Virginia.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Those style basements are very common in the older farm houses on the east side of the state around the Richmond area.

I've lived in two houses with those. One, a small house on the south side of Muncie in the old Ball Corp neighborhood and the other, a really old farm house near the Delaware-Randolph county line.

In both cases they added onto the original square or rectangular house, digging the basement under the new addition, and extending it under part of the original house. The farm house was done well with good concrete work and it even had a water cistern built into one corner (long abandoned by the time we lived there). The one in Muncie was poorly done, and I had to do a lot of work making new footers to support the badly sagging floor.

Top Bottom