• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    You cannot sell a weapon to a resident of another state unless you have an FFL.

Most Indiana FFLs will not sell to an Illinois resident because if they do not precisely follow Illinois state and local laws their license and freedom is at jeopardy.

IF you are going to effect a transfer mail it to an Illinois FFL.

If for some reason your friend cannot take delivery of the weapon, the FFL make keep and sell it without any compensation back to you.

If it were me I would explain to my friend that I can't do the deal. Too many bad things happen mixing guns, Illinois, and Chicago in the same drink.

I have someone who is interested in buying a handgun from me who lives in Illinois. From what I've read in this thread is that the handgun needs to be delivered to a FFL dealer who resides in IL. and that person pass NICS and whatever other IL laws that are in place before that person can take possesion of that handgun. But I could still sell it to him. The handgun just has to transfer through a IL FFL dealer. Right?

Would my selling this handgun and taking delivery of payment before the handgun is legally transferred illegal?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have someone who is interested in buying a handgun from me who lives in Illinois. From what I've read in this thread is that the handgun needs to be delivered to a FFL dealer who resides in IL. and that person pass NICS and whatever other IL laws that are in place before that person can take possesion of that handgun. But I could still sell it to him. The handgun just has to transfer through a IL FFL dealer. Right?

Would my selling this handgun and taking delivery of payment before the handgun is legally transferred illegal?

You may take payment but he may NOT take possession until the ILLINOIS FFL dealer give it to him.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    You don't even have to mail it. If you are in IL, you can meet him at an FFL to do a legal transfer. He, of course, must have a FOID.

Alternatively, just mail it to a predetermined FFL who will expect the transfer, and have him pick it up there and do the 4473/NICS.

I can absolutely vouch that you can send standard longarms through the U.S. Postal Service. They must completely packaged before bringing one to a postal facility, though.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I've done it, just met my friend at the ffl in IL with an unloaded, boxed up gun. FFL took our money, held the gun until the next day and he went back and picked it up.

No need to spend any money shipping it if you're both close enough.

ETA: Call ahead to the FFL and make sure they'll do it. The first one we went to insisted it had to be shipped from an FFL in IN in order to transfer.

Top Bottom