• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Assuming the buyer and seller are residents of the state in which the transaction occurs, I'm not aware of a restriction.

But im often wrong.

And define "school zone" please.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Why would this be a good thing in the first place?

If you aren't familiar with Indiana laws on firearms in school zones, you should read them.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Why would this be a good thing in the first place?

If you aren't familiar with Indiana laws on firearms in school zones, you should read them.
    please try to understand that is merely a question. Trying to figure out if there are any restrictions to the selling of a long gun in a school zone. Like getting from said store to your vehicle with firearm in possession.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Does anyone know where to find the laws about the selling of firearms in a school zone?

Ok, I'm going to ask why. Why are you honing in on "school zone"? Can you tell me what you are worried about?

Title 35, Article 47 is everything on guns in the Indiana Code

Title 18 is the federal stuff on guns.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    IANAL, but w/o a LTCH, within 1000' of a school, is a no-no .....

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong .....

I am with Kirk, WHY would you even THINK, of selling at a school ?????

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Ok, I'm going to ask why. Why are you honing in on "school zone"? Can you tell me what you are worried about?

Title 35, Article 47 is everything on guns in the Indiana Code

Title 18 is the federal stuff on guns.
    I had a bad shopping experience and the premise of it was because it was in a school zone. Although I feel like extortion has more to do with it.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    before you "cock off" please try to understand that is merely a question. Trying to figure out if there are any restrictions to the selling of a long gun in a school zone. Like getting from said store to your vehicle with firearm in possession.

I am not being micro-aggressive. ;) If you own a firearm or recently purchased one, you are responsible for knowing the law. WTF are you doing in a school zone with a rifle? You couldn't park somewhere else? FFL dealers cannot be located within 1000 feet of a school.

You couldn't find a home depot for the transaction with a private party? How about the local cop shop?

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I put a Henry rifle on layaway at Rural King in Martinsville. I went to get it out yesterday and was told unless I had a gun case I could not have it. Even though it was in a box. I was told that the store was in a school zone and it had to be cased to leave the store. I was never made aware of this prior to yesterday. Then the manager told me I had to buy a case from them or pay $10 to get the gun out of layaway. (that is the extortion part) She told me if I didn't like it, to blame Obama. This is the store manager. They had two 6' tables that were full of $5 gun cases in the morning and empty in the evening. I just want to know if that is the actual law or no? I'm not selling in a school zone, so pump the brakes Turbo.

Last edited:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I am not being micro-aggressive. ;) If you own a firearm or recently purchased one, you are responsible for knowing the law. WTF are you doing in a school zone with a rifle? You couldn't park somewhere else? FFL dealers cannot be located within 1000 feet of a school.

You couldn't find a home depot for the transaction with a private party? How about the local cop shop?
    Calm down, would ya?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I'm calm. You asked an open-ended type question.

Poston Road Elementary is close by, so the "school zone" can apply. Except you were on private property, which is an exception. There is another exception for locked, cased firearms. (Title 18 S 922). Or you have an LTCH...another exception.

The store manager is applying "belts and suspenders" to the private property exception. Is that what the ATF told her? Probably. Is it Obama's fault? No, the law has been around since 1990 methinks.

Frankly, I'm not aware of any FFL dealer in his own store that would require you to have a locked case to transport a gun to his parking lot. Once on the road with an unloaded gun in a box in a trunk? That is a stretch. The Post Office doesn't require you to ship interstate in a locked container.

If you deal with big box stores, you get big box policy.

I'd return the case if you don't want it. Rural King is pretty good about returns and replacements, especially at this time of year.

Last edited:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Same situation in Frankfort at the Rural King. They obtained their FFL back a few years when a scare was going on and I was inside listening to the ATF agent instruct them that all firearms must go out to the owners vehicle in a locked case. Of course RK will sell you a case that you can return for a refund.

The "school zone" consists of an Admin Bldg directly across the state road and within 1000 ft.

This ATF agent went on to claim that he could "technically" arrest anyone driving on the state road in front of the school zone and any cars parked in the addition across the street from HS and Middle school..... so far no arrests made by said agent but what is this line of thinking especially after the new school laws passed in Indiana. ???

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Once a customer leaves private property located within1,000 feet of a school with a rearm, they may be inviolation of Federal Law. However, in the followingsituations an individual would not be possessing a rearmin violation of 922(q)(A):

1. The individual is licensed by the State or politicalsubdivision to possess the rearm, and the licensewas issued after law enforcement of cials veri edthat the individual is quali ed to receive the license;
    2. The rearm is unloaded and is contained within alocked container or a locked rearms rack that is ona motor vehicle;
    3. The rearm is possessed by an individual for use in aschool-approved program;
    4. The individual or his/her employer is doing so inaccordance with a contract between the individualand the school;
    5. The individual is a law enforcement of cer acting intheir of cial capacity; or
    6. The individual is crossing school grounds to reach apublic or private way. Their rearm is unloaded, andthey have permission from the school.

ATF realizes that not all persons who enter or exit anFFL’s premises in such case may fall under one of theabove-described statutory exemptions. Therefore, ATFadvises that in those States where a permit is not needed,the FFL should ensure that prior to a purchaser leavingthe business premise with a rearm that it is unloaded andplaced in a locked container.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just to throw this out, the Tipton gun show is held in a fairgrounds building almost directly across the street from the Tipton Elementary School and I never had a problem, nor saw anyone worried about not openly carrying firearms on the fairgrounds.

Top Bottom