• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I'm sorry if this offends some, but I've grown tired of all the "listing for a friend" and "selling for my brother" ads in the INGO classifieds. I have no desire to do any business with a non-ingo member and I don't think most of the other members do either. /end rant.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm sorry if this offends some, but I've grown tired of all the "listing for a friend" and "selling for my brother" ads in the INGO classifieds. I have no desire to do any business with a non-ingo member and I don't think most of the other members do either. /end rant.

Well, then don't do the business. It's your call. Judging by how quickly some of the stuff I listed last week sold, not everyone shares your aversion. Different strokes for different folks, I reckon.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've got a pistol I'm selling for one of my best friends.

He left yesterday for Basic Training for the Indiana National Guard. He's very much interested in "downsizing" from a .45 to a 9mm for ease of concealment and cost of shooting.

He's an INGO member...technically. He registered a long time ago but hasn't posted anything.

So, if that's the kind of guy you'd rather not do business with... Then you're definitely allowed.

-J-

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I've got a pistol I'm selling for one of my best friends.

He left yesterday for Basic Training for the Indiana National Guard. He's very much interested in "downsizing" from a .45 to a 9mm for ease of concealment and cost of shooting.

He's an INGO member...technically. He registered a long time ago but hasn't posted anything.

So, if that's the kind of guy you'd rather not do business with... Then you're definitely allowed.

-J-

But how can you sell it for him while he is away? If he sells it to you so that you can sell it, that is potentially viewable as straw (if a stretch). If you sell it while he is away I am not sure how that works.

Basically, doesn't the seller have to be present at the sale?

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    I have sold for my father, he is FAAAAAR from computer literate. has no interest in learning. Just did him a favor, Would be a Ingo member if he did Computer stuff, but does have a INGO sticker on his truck. Does that count?

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I think the rant in the OP was because it seems a way for people to get around the post count for the classifieds. If people don't want to be a member of this community, but want to just abuse the classifieds this is a good way around it. I agree that its up to the buyers discretion to deal with those people or not, but still is a bit of a loophole.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    But how can you sell it for him while he is away? If he sells it to you so that you can sell it, that is potentially viewable as straw (if a stretch). If you sell it while he is away I am not sure how that works.

If it's transferred ownership, it's transferred ownership.

Also, my understanding of the laws aren't perfect, but I cannot see where SELLING a gun for someone else creates a straw purchase, which is all I think is against the law. BUYING one would, but buying and selling are completely different acts, even legally.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Also, my understanding of the laws aren't perfect, but I cannot see where SELLING a gun for someone else creates a straw purchase, which is all I think is against the law. BUYING one would, but buying and selling are completely different acts, even legally.

Would this even be considered a "straw purchase" even if it were a sale? If the person could legally buy the gun (but can't do it on INGO because of the rules) then it's legal, right?

I do understand the frustration in the OP at the INGO rules being circumvented. I guess that's why we have Mods. :)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

I really don't know either.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I really don't know either.
    I was my understanding that a straw purchase would be made for someone that couldn't legally purchase a gun. Am I wrong?

I guess though the OP was about "selling" for someone else. I don't see anything wrong with it...personally. I don't find that as objectionable as the people that sell multiple guns a month and list them well over their value. Those few individuals are undoubtedly selling guns for a living...IMO, anyway.

Neither is really any of my business though. Both happen frequently enough that I think if it bothered the management...they would put a stop to it. I'd just stop reading when I get to the part I object to and move on down the list... to the next $600 Glock. :):

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I guess though the OP was about "selling" for someone else. I don't see anything wrong with it...personally. I don't find that as objectionable as the people that sell multiple guns a month and list them well over their value. Those few individuals are undoubtedly selling guns for a living...IMO, anyway.
    :):

This is the part that bothers me most. I have a solution though, when I recognize those names, I simply ignore the post. Want it or not, there are some people I just won't deal with.
    :twocents:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010

If you don't wish to do business with someone, then don't. So what?

After all, its not the Obama health care plan that the government will make you buy.

copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    I don't have a problem with this but, I closed a post because people had an issue with trying to sell an item for a widow friend. Is it good to have items for members to sell or for members to have items to buy?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

Straw purchases only pertain to sales from an FFL

Would this even be considered a "straw purchase" even if it were a sale? If the person could legally buy the gun (but can't do it on INGO because of the rules) then it's legal, right?

I do understand the frustration in the OP at the INGO rules being circumvented. I guess that's why we have Mods. :)

See above

I was my understanding that a straw purchase would be made for someone that couldn't legally purchase a gun. Am I wrong?

A straw sale can happen with people who could legally obtain the gun. It's a lie to the "actual purchaser" question. Even if you just don't want to do the 4473 but could pass it, you cannot give a person money to go buy it from an FFL. That's a straw purchase.

rocked

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Fishers
    +1 rep.... it may be something someone on here is looking for and if they want to buy it then they have the choice. Just as the OP has the choice to not make the purchase.

Well, then don't do the business. It's your call. Judging by how quickly some of the stuff I listed last week sold, not everyone shares your aversion. Different strokes for different folks, I reckon.

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I think the rant in the OP was because it seems a way for people to get around the post count for the classifieds. If people don't want to be a member of this community, but want to just abuse the classifieds this is a good way around it. I agree that its up to the buyers discretion to deal with those people or not, but still is a bit of a loophole.

I list items for friends, because I am willing to put my name on what theyre selling. If I don't think its worthy of sale, or if he wants to misrepresent the item, then I refuse to speak for them.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    For me I have no problem purchasing from someone who i trust from the board if they are selling for a friend. Someone with 50 posts however will make me question the situation more. I'll ask questions about "why are they getting rid of it" . However, I do have some issues if they do not tell me they are selling for a friend until after I agree to the deal.

Top Bottom