• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wow, this got a little out of hand. Go back and read the OP!! I still have/like/use a polymer gun AND I'm getting a revolver. While everyone else debates this, I'm gonna have a blast shooting BOTH.

I'm with you (except on the polymer thing).

Do you know how much difference there is at the 7 yard line to go from holster to 3 in the "A" box for me between my ultra-modern(ish) P220 and my ultra-amish GP100? 0.15 seconds on average, advantage Sig. Prior to the Trijicon HD's, the advantage was to the GP100.

Its fun to watch the debates and misinformation, though. Anyone who owns a H&K can't say anything about the price of a revolver, there are revolvers with light rails and semi-autos without them, etc. etc.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I think my next 2 guns will be a 1911 and a single action revolver.

You better watch out. You may like that SA and start shooting cowboy action. This is my 17th year shooting SASS. Lots of fun. I shoot gunfighter style. A SA revolver in each hand. Yeehaw!

Also, you can't go wrong with a good 1911. Or a few. Anything designed by JMB is worth getting.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I am learning and starting to feel this way myself. The plastic guns just have an impersonal and cold feel to them. Metal guns have much more character.

Personification of a tool. "Steel is real", ...the feeling I get, the character..

Also, one shooter's accuracy with one platform vs. another seems, to me, very plagued by variables. Since I have said nothing about accuracy yet in this thread, and all you steel-is-real-the-feeling-I-get Saturday morning mall walkers keep talking about it, is there proof that the mechanical accuracy of a wheelgun is better, for some reason? Seems like another big bag of variables. Hope your Roadmaster is big enough to carry that around.

Box magazine. 2014. Capacity. Plastic is, last time I checked, very tangible.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Personification of a tool. "Steel is real", ...the feeling I get, the character..

Also, one shooter's accuracy with one platform vs. another seems, to me, very plagued by variables. Since I have said nothing about accuracy yet in this thread, and all you steel-is-real-the-feeling-I-get Saturday morning mall walkers keep talking about it, is there proof that the mechanical accuracy of a wheelgun is better, for some reason? Seems like another big bag of variables. Hope your Roadmaster is big enough to carry that around.

Box magazine. 2014. Capacity. Plastic is, last time I checked, very tangible.
    I have owned polymer and shot it just as well as steel. Just shoot what you like. The preference for one over another is just that, a preference! If you like Lego guns then shoot Lego guns. What difference does it make to me?

kalrez

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    NW Indianapolis, IN
    And lets not forget the aesthetics! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure...but who can deny the beauty of a deeply blued wheel gun with dark walnut or burl grips! My very furst gun I bought some 26 years ago was a blued Ruger Security Six in .357 that I immediately swaped factory grips for a set of those dark brown walnut Hogue mono-grips...man did I love that gun! Sadly I traded it a number of years later for a "wonder-nine"...and I can't even remember which one it was? A decision I regret to this day!

And don't even get me started on the beauty of a good Colt SAA with that beautifully dark colt blue and deep rich case colors accented with a set of ivory or stag grips! Now that my friends is a BEAUTIFUL revolver!

I bought a Ruger Security Six about 26 years ago too. It was my first Big Boy gun. Had the black Houge grips with the Ruger medallion. I liked the contrast of the bright stainless hammer and trigger next to the blue. I am glad to report I still own it and I still love it. I've always appreciated the heft and feel of an all steel revolver. With the right loads, that 4-inch 357 throws an impressive fireball when shooting at twilight. Solid, reliable, versatile, Fun! Everyone should own at least one good revolver... actually a few.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    is there proof that the mechanical accuracy of a wheelgun is better, for some reason?

More accurate period or more accurate enough to matter? When's the last time you saw someone hunting with a scoped semi-auto?

I'll tell you the big reason I like revolvers. They fit my hand. Narrower near the thumb, fatter near the little finger, the curvature, it all equates to a more natural hold than the straight stick of a semi auto. A revolver's grip is almost infinitely adjustable in terms of shape and size. A semi-auto is limited by the necessity of the box magazine (with a few stripper clip fed exceptions). The curvature results in more roll and less push when it comes to heavy recoiling rounds, like the .44 mag and hotter .357 rounds.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    There are times when I want to buy a small .380. But most of the time, I think about buying a .38 revolver.

Everytime I go to my parents house, I always hold their old .38 revolvers. They have a Taurus and a Colt, had them for at least 15 years.

I like the size, and they are fun to shoot. It's taken me a while to get used to the sights. I don't know if I'd ever carry one, since I have found it quite easy to carry my Glock 26.

.380 vs .38. I'll buy one of them someday...

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    There are times when I want to buy a small .380. But most of the time, I think about buying a .38 revolver.

Everytime I go to my parents house, I always hold their old .38 revolvers. They have a Taurus and a Colt, had them for at least 15 years.

I like the size, and they are fun to shoot. It's taken me a while to get used to the sights. I don't know if I'd ever carry one, since I have found it quite easy to carry my Glock 26.

.380 vs .38. I'll buy one of them someday...
    I don't shoot a snub nose as well as a pocket .380, so I'm gonna get a .380 for that purpose. But I do think a 4-6 inch barrel .357 is in order at some point.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    More accurate period or more accurate enough to matter? When's the last time you saw someone hunting with a scoped semi-auto?

I'll tell you the big reason I like revolvers. They fit my hand. Narrower near the thumb, fatter near the little finger, the curvature, it all equates to a more natural hold than the straight stick of a semi auto. A revolver's grip is almost infinitely adjustable in terms of shape and size. A semi-auto is limited by the necessity of the box magazine (with a few stripper clip fed exceptions). The curvature results in more roll and less push when it comes to heavy recoiling rounds, like the .44 mag and hotter .357 rounds.

Hunting with an auto isn't the measure one should use for the accuracy argument...

Folks don't hunt with semi-autos not for lack of accuracy - but for lack of "hunting cartridges".

Lots of folks hunt with .22 pistols... Lots of folks hunt with the Desert Eagle platform, too.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Why does it always have to be either or?

Money! I can only afford to buy one gun at a time.

I don't shoot a snub nose as well as a pocket .380, so I'm gonna get a .380 for that purpose. But I do think a 4-6 inch barrel .357 is in order at some point.

I've never shot a .380 before, but have only held them at Bradis. Would be nice to change that....

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I guess I don't have a plastic gun anymore at all. I shot Glock last year and went all Revolvers this year. I could never fall in love with the plastic guns. Not that they are bad I just like the feel of a good revolver. I reload also and it sucks chasing brass all the time. It seems at Indoor ranges it is like you are committing a federal offense picking up your brass and if you shoot IPDA and some of the other gun games it seems to be a big deal to get your brass also. Auto's have a place and a place that will stay but there is nothing wrong with a good wheel gun. And if you think you can't shoot fast with a revolver come watch a match with a few revolvers guys and learn. Jim

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I guess I don't have a plastic gun anymore at all. I shot Glock last year and went all Revolvers this year. I could never fall in love with the plastic guns. Not that they are bad I just like the feel of a good revolver. I reload also and it sucks chasing brass all the time. It seems at Indoor ranges it is like you are committing a federal offense picking up your brass and if you shoot IPDA and some of the other gun games it seems to be a big deal to get your brass also. Auto's have a place and a place that will stay but there is nothing wrong with a good wheel gun. And if you think you can't shoot fast with a revolver come watch a match with a few revolvers guys and learn. Jim

Glad to see more guys appreciating the revolver. You are right about the brass and speed. Brass is even easier to get when in a moonclip.

I do not agree with the premise out there that semi-autos are more accurate than wheel guns. There are no plastic guns that will outshoot even a decent revolver. They certainly won't outshoot a good K14 at 50 yards. Some good 1911s could and the S&W 52 w/ wadcutters could. I just got a 52-2 and while reading about it, saw the author's 50 yard target. From a ransom rest, 1.03" at 50 yards. That's a great shooting semi. No plastic gun is doing that at 25 yards, let alone 50. The P210 and S&W 952 might also outshoot a good revolver, but I don't think many other semis can and no plastic gun can. Just my observations.

n9znd, if you shoot down at Brookston, I may see you down there. I try to make the action pistol matches. With my Frank Glenn revolver, of course.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I've had two new name brand revolver fail on me. One had a defective firing pin that gave weak strikes, the other locked up when defective ammunition jumped the bullet crimp and bound against the forcing cone.

Never had a reputable modern pistol have a mechanical failure, just one or two ammunition related issues.

My point is that ALL handgun types have the same Achilies heel - crappy or defective ammo can take a revolver out of the fight just as fast as a Glock or any other pistol... Except you cant tap-rack drill on the revolver.

IMO the "6 fer' sure" crowd has just not fired their revolver enough to have had a primer back out, or a bullet jump a crimp. Either one of those malfuctions will turn your wheel gun into a paper weight, and have you banging on the cylinder like a chud.

The P210 and S&W 952 might also outshoot a good revolver, but I don't think many other semis can and no plastic gun can. Just my observations.

Get your hands on a GP6. Rotating barrel stays on the same plane at all times, factory sights are quite good, and the single action trigger is every bit as good as a tuned 1911 (better than the SA trigger on a factory S&W), frame made of plastic.

Last edited:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I've had two new name brand revolver fail on me. One had a defective firing pin that gave weak strikes, the other locked up when defective ammunition jumped the bullet crimp and bound against the forcing cone.

Never had a reputable modern pistol have a mechanical failure, just one or two ammunition related issues.

My point is that ALL handgun types have the same Achilies heel - crappy or defective ammo can take a revolver out of the fight just as fast as a Glock or any other pistol... Except you cant tap-rack drill on the revolver.

IMO the "6 fer' sure" crowd has just not fired their revolver enough to have had a primer back out, or a bullet jump a crimp. Either one of those malfuctions will turn your wheel gun into a paper weight, and have you banging on the cylinder like a chud.

Get your hands on a GP6. Rotating barrel stays on the same plane at all times, factory sights are quite good, and the single action trigger is every bit as good as a tuned 1911 (better than the SA trigger on a factory S&W), frame made of plastic.

I have fired a lot of revolvers scores of thousands of times. Over 100, 000 rounds in revolvers. I checked my loading records. (I am a computer guy and very anal about that kind of thing.) I have had the occasional high primer early on, but not for decades. My bullets never back out in the cylinder, either, because I know what I am doing.

You cannot blame any gun for ammo failures. If you were driving in your Ford, Chevy, or whatever, and get a blowout, it's not the car's fault. It's the fault of the tire. I guess if your hand gets cut off, you can't shoot the revolver, therefore revolvers are not reliable. That's another minus for the wheel gun. :):

The only firing pin I've had to replace because of breakage was on a Marlin lever action rifle, twice. The wife and I shoot it a lot in CAS.

Not familiar w/ the GP6, but I haven't gotten any new telegraphs lately.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Glad to see more guys appreciating the revolver. You are right about the brass and speed. Brass is even easier to get when in a moonclip.

I do not agree with the premise out there that semi-autos are more accurate than wheel guns. There are no plastic guns that will outshoot even a decent revolver. They certainly won't outshoot a good K14 at 50 yards. Some good 1911s could and the S&W 52 w/ wadcutters could. I just got a 52-2 and while reading about it, saw the author's 50 yard target. From a ransom rest, 1.03" at 50 yards. That's a great shooting semi. No plastic gun is doing that at 25 yards, let alone 50. The P210 and S&W 952 might also outshoot a good revolver, but I don't think many other semis can and no plastic gun can. Just my observations.

n9znd, if you shoot down at Brookston, I may see you down there. I try to make the action pistol matches. With my Frank Glenn revolver, of course.

I do shoot at Brookston and always shoot the Action Pistol matches. If that is you in the picture I have shot with before. I was always the one that shot a Baby Glock and have shot a Ruger SR22 also. I would always shoot the "little" guns. I think you and your buddy always shot revolvers. Hopefully my scores will improve this year. lol Jim

Top Bottom