• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I've sold at Illinois gun shows and to Illinois residents through Gunbroker. Yes, ISP goes undercover at Illinois gun shows and will bust you. Obviously, in Indiana they would be out of their jurisdiction, but that doesn't stop activist news media types from hitting up Indiana shows near the border. Do you want to be the guy on the undercover video who makes their story or do you want to be the guy who sticks to the rules and sinks their story? Some of us have experience in these matters.

Please post what Indiana laws would be broken.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm speaking as a guy who doesn't know Illinois law (and therefore doesn't know if it would break a law)....but generally speaking, if you think you have to be in Illinois to break an Illinois law...

...think again.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I'm speaking as a guy who doesn't know Illinois law (and therefore doesn't know if it would break a law)....but generally speaking, if you think you have to be in Illinois to break an Illinois law...

...think again.

Do tell, please.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

...think again.

One would have to be transferring the ammo into or within Illinois to break their FOID rules.

An Illinois resident buying ammo here in Indiana need not even consider the silly rules such transactions would be subject to in his home state. Neither should it concern the Indiana store or resident who transacts with him here.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Interesting.

If I sell something to a person in another state, I don't have to follow their laws regarding such a sale?

I didn't say that. In fact, I said I did not know.

What I was getting at is that you don't have to step foot in a state to break that state's laws. It depends upon the specific law. You would have to have some contact with the state, but that contact does not have to be ever stepping foot inside the state.

For instance, (using Indiana law as an example) jurisdiction is defined broadly:

(b) A person may be convicted under Indiana law of an offense if:

(1) either the conduct that is an element of the offense, the result that is an element, or both, occur in Indiana;
    (2) conduct occurring outside Indiana is sufficient under Indiana law to constitute an attempt to commit an offense in Indiana;
    (3) conduct occurring outside Indiana is sufficient under Indiana law to constitute a conspiracy to commit an offense in Indiana, and an overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy occurs in Indiana;
    (4) conduct occurring in Indiana establishes complicity in the commission of, or an attempt or conspiracy to commit, an offense in another jurisdiction that also is an offense under Indiana law;
    (5) the offense consists of the omission to perform a duty imposed by Indiana law with respect to domicile, residence, or a relationship to a person, thing, or transaction in Indiana;
    (6) conduct that is an element of the offense or the result of conduct that is an element of the offense, or both, involve the use of the Internet or another computer network (as defined in IC 35-43-2-3) and access to the Internet or other computer network occurs in Indiana; or
    (7) conduct:
    (A) involves the use of:
    (i) the Internet or another computer network (as defined in IC 35-43-2-3); or
    (ii) another form of electronic communication;
    (B) occurs outside Indiana and the victim of the offense resides in Indiana at the time of the offense; and
    (C) is sufficient under Indiana law to constitute an offense in Indiana.
    (c) When the offense is homicide, either the death of the victim or bodily impact causing death constitutes a result under subsection (b)(1). If the body of a homicide victim is found in Indiana, it is presumed that the result occurred in Indiana.
    (d) If the offense is identity deception or synthetic identity deception, the lack of the victim's consent constitutes conduct that is an element of the offense under subsection (b)(1). If a victim of identity deception or synthetic identity deception resides in Indiana when a person knowingly or intentionally obtains, possesses, transfers, or uses the victim's identifying information, it is presumed that the conduct that is the lack of the victim's consent occurred in Indiana.

Ind. Code Ann. § 35-41-1-1.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    ^^^ I didn't mean to imply you were saying that, it was just a thought that sparked out of your comment. The OP statement seemed to suggest that since the illinois resident could not have bulk ammo shipped to his illinois home, he (OP) might try to help. I understand that the illinois resident can come here to make a purchase but the OP appeared to be saying something different.

It sounded like the Indiana resident was going to make a purchase of bulk ammo for the Illinois resident. Here, I'll give you the money and you buy the ammo and we'll get together and make things good.

Just seems "questionable" even though no laws have probably would been broken......probably.

I just wonder why the person cannot have ammo sent to his home; that should be the question.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I didn't say that. In fact, I said I did not know.

What I was getting at is that you don't have to step foot in a state to break that state's laws. It depends upon the specific law. You would have to have some contact with the state, but that contact does not have to be ever stepping foot inside the state.

For instance, (using Indiana law as an example) jurisdiction is defined broadly:

Ind. Code Ann. § 35-41-1-1.

And for even more fun, you can set foot in the state and (as a non-resident) buy ammo without a FOID and not violate those laws.

Simply "prove" you aren't an Illinois resident by showing your out-of-state DL. When I've done this (taking advantage of some great Black Friday prices when visiting family), they haven't even looked at my license long enough to read my name.

Thankfully, I no longer have any reason to visit PDRI

Top Bottom