• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I'm planning on putting my house up for sale. My question to you guys and gals is what should I do to help sale it? It's been totaly updated and remodeled. It is a manufacture home and will probably be listed around 80-85k. I only owe 40k. So what little things would be turn off or ons to potential buyers? Should I do some light landscaping?thanks it's my first time selling a house.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    We sold our house of 15 years last summer. It was on the market for 13 days.

Get as much of your stuff out of the house as possible. We rented a storage unit. Pare down to the bare minimum you need to live there. The more stuff that is gone, the bigger it looks and the easier it is for the potential buyer to imagine themselves there. You don't want your house looking like you need a bigger house...even if you do. Get rid of highly personal things including pictures if there are a lot. Clean everything...twice, including carpets. Make sure everything looks like you are meticulous with maintenance. If you have rooms painted in bold, bright primary colors, paint them in a more muted tone. Don't care if you just painted.

MAKE SURE THE PICTURES THAT ARE TAKEN ARE IN FOCUS AND OF A SPOTLESS, UNCLUTTERED HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! You would not believe what we saw for pictures on the MLS websites when we were looking for a house. Dirty laundry on the floor. Unmade beds. Dishes in the sink. Treat this like a bid deal photo shoot and consider each shot. Insist on seeing the pictures to make sure they are clear. Yes, I have seen blurry pictures in MLS listings. Take a lot of pictures, 20 to 30.

Good luck!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Are you using a realtor to list the house? If so let them tell you what you should do to sell it.

When I sold mine last year I had a list of items I thought I should do to help it sell. She told me only to do one of those tasks. In my case we had already moved out so the house was empty. She recommended we have it staged. That really helped. Plus with us gone, prospective buyers could come over whenever it was convenient. We didn't have to check schedules or vacate multiple times per week.

You never know what a potential buyer will want to do to the house, so it's pointless to put a lot of time, money and effort into fixes you think they might want.

Obviously you'll want to trim any unkempt bushes and trees, sweep sidewalks, cut grass, etc. But the best thing you can do is find a good realtor and listen to their advice.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...We didn't have to check schedules or vacate multiple times per week....

Tru Dat

...but if you are living there and want to sell it, there should never be a time when you are unwilling to get gone so they can look at it. We had 6 showings in the first 5 days and 10 showings in 13 days....with 4 kids who are home schooled. At the same time, a friend of ours was trying to sell her house and she kept telling her realtor that showings were inconvenient. Again, our house sold in 13 days and we have been in our new house since September and her house is still for sale.

Make sure the house is painfully clean (including closets, which should be about 1/2 empty) during each showing.

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Yes already packing up and moving out non essential items, all picture already down. Yes we will be listing with a realtor and I figure she would tell us stuff also.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    This is why we have the Classified Section in INGO! :rockwoot:

Make sure to have a picture in your add.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The house needs to be spotless. Make it at least "appear" move in ready, fresh coat of paint in the various rooms, touch up the woodwork, clean stained concrete all those sniggling little things that you don't want to do to make it sell easier are the same things potential buyers are going to look at and not want to do either.

My girlfriend put in a lot of effort on our last house actually getting it up to date for US when we decided to move out of town. The one comment that every realtor that showed the house made was how ready it was to live in and that we had done a good job preparing it for sale.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS will make or break your sale. Unless you're pricing it as a fixer upper people aren't going to be interested in a house that needs a lot of work even if it is only nickel and dime stuff unless it's priced that way. On a positive note, depending on your price range, I was reading the other day that houses in the 120k to 185k price range are selling almost as fast as they can be listed, at least in the Indy area.

Good Luck!!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Curb appeal (landscaping well kept, exterior paint in good condition, etc) helps for sure. It gives buyers the mentality that "you care for the outside so the inside must be cared for also" before they even enter the home.

The pictures will get the most people in the door. Good pics sell homes. Bad pics scare people away. Use a wide angle lens to make rooms seem larger. If using a realtor, if the pictures stink, insist they hire a pro. A professional photographer and a virtual tour costs about $125. That's cheap considering your the commission the realtor gets. It will get them paid faster if you sell faster so if they hesitate, use that line.

I agree with the minimal stuff in the home-That' lets buyers see how their stuff is going to fit instead of trying to imagine the room without your stuff in the way.
    No dishes in the sink or anywhere visible
    No laundry visible-even closets
    Beds made
    Vaccum your way out and put the vac in your coat closet.
    Crate any pets-even better, get them out completely during showings
    Get your self out when the buyers want in. Plain and simple. If they have to reschedule, they may find another home to buy instead before they ever come back to yours. This leads back to ALWAYS keep it clean. They may be calling you from the driveway wanting to see it NOW (happens when realtors are showing another one on the same street and for whatever reason, didn't schedule yours into the mix)
    A lot of the time, your first offer is the best one. Not ALWAYS true, but more often than not, it is.
    Be realistic in your asking price. There is a shortage of listings in many places currently, and if your home isn't sold before mid april, you WILL have LOTS more competition.

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I love the wealth of knowledge from ingo, it is
    vinyl siding so it will be washed, gravel driveway so there will b a fresh load of stone down. I'm also taking away that it needs to
    be clean and empty. I got 6 acres, with 4.5 being woods, huge wrap around deck and totaly redone on the inside so I think80-85k might be an ok price will have to wait and see what my realtor says. Oh did I mention I can step outside and shoot off my back deck all day long. That should be a good selling point!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here's are some "Don'ts" from the picture department....and yes, this is from the house we ended up buying, but not based on these pics:

View attachment 36405 View attachment 36406 View attachment 36407

In addition to the bad pics, it had enough furniture for 3 houses in it.

We got a very good price on the house and I believe that the bad pics and some other items prevented more people from being interested. Works for me, I got a screaming deal.

Last edited:

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    My plan is to sell my house and take the equity and a little cash and by another foreclosed home
    in cash or small loan and be 28 and have no mortage. Because all I do at work is rehash for closed homes so the work part is no problem.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    A lot of the time, your first offer is the best one. Not ALWAYS true, but more often than not, it is.

Just to clarify, I assume you mean don't pass an offer up because you think a better one will come (as in a different buyer).

Not to be mistaken with a buyer is providing you their best number on their first offer, most buyers will negotiate.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Just to clarify, I assume you mean don't pass an offer up because you think a better one will come (as in a different buyer).

Not to be mistaken with a buyer is providing you their best number on their first offer, most buyers will negotiate.

You are correct. What I should have said is "Days on market has an inverse relationship with final sales price most of the time"

More days on market=lower sales price most of the time.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I agree with Houge Made... Basically make it look as much like a show home as possible (you don't live there), and ready for the buyer to move in!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I love the wealth of knowledge from ingo, it is
    vinyl siding so it will be washed, gravel driveway so there will b a fresh load of stone down. I'm also taking away that it needs to
    be clean and empty. I got 6 acres, with 4.5 being woods, huge wrap around deck and totaly redone on the inside so I think80-85k might be an ok price will have to wait and see what my realtor says. Oh did I mention I can step outside and shoot off my back deck all day long. That should be a good selling point!

Maybe you should list it here. I bet a lot of INGOers would be interested in a setup like that. BTW, with that much land your price sounds way too low.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Our house has been on the market for 20 days.... at 15 days in we accepted the first seller (third counter offer from them) at a price less than what we wanted, but still making a bit of money.... We don't want to be stuck with two mortgages though so we are extremely happy to get it sold this fast. Not much competition right now.

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    As far as my guesstimate price. That's about the average of the comparable homes sold in the last year, I've yet to have the realtor come out and figure the market price.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Your guestimate pretty much means nothing.... Once the realtor is involved they will have a list of recently sold comparable, with the list price, selling price, how much went towards buyers closing costs, and days on the market. THAT will be what you base your asking price off of.

We are a good example... we expected we could get 105, but shot for a bit higher. listed it for 109,900.... we ended up accepting at 105, but with 2500 towards sellers closing. so we are only receiving 102,500..... but that's right in line with the other houses in the area.

Top Bottom