• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ndredsox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Avon
    Good Afternoon all! I have a WW1 era Luger that I am contemplating trading/selling and wondered what everyone's experience was at the Indy 1500 show. Is it normally frowned upon or allowed? Also, I have some 7.62 ammo that I don't need anymore....if you can sell/trade, can you carry in ammo as well?

Thanks in advance!

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I would not even bother with the ammo. The Luger, will be hit or miss. If you intend to show it to vendors, well then you have several in a confined space and could be good for you for final value. Depending on the price you want for it, I would wait till Saturday as to allow the vendors to acquire cash to make the purchase. Hopefully you are well aware of the value, as Lugers can go for a few hundred to a few thousand depending on many variables.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Getting a dealer to buy your 7.62 ammo will be tough, but if your price is right an individual might buy it.
    Post it for sale here when you get enough posts.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I took a couple firearms to sell at the show last weekend. Vendors were the only people really interested. I went on Sunday and even though a few of them told me, "It's been a slow show." they still had money to burn.

As others have said, make sure you know the value of your gun. They'll do internet searches, use "the book," , call their buddies, etc., to determine the value. I found most of them to be pretty honest. "That's a $700 gun so I'd need to be in it for about $500 to make my money." If you're patient and work the show you'll get a few offers and then you can take the best one. Just remember you're dealing with businesses when you deal with vendors. They're not interested in paying full price unless it's a gun for their personal collection and even then, they'll try to get the best deal possible. Negotiate with them. Negotiate hard. A man with money in his pocket that "wants" something will typically buy it. Your gun is on the "wants" list for someone.

Selling the ammo before you get there is way better. Ammo is heavy. It sucks to carry ammo around a gun show and the ammo vendors will most likely have your price beat or be close enough that your stuff doesn't really sparkle for anyone. Selling it here or on your local armslist, hoosiertopics, etc., would be better.

One thing I make sure to do before every show is have a plan. I go in knowing what my bottom dollar is, what trades would be acceptable, and what time I'm going to leave. I also make sure to walk the venue in a pattern hitting the rest room areas and seating areas at regular intervals. Wearing distinctive clothing helps too. "The guy in the white cap." Last show I wore a t-shirt that said, "INNOCENT BYSTANDER" and had about a dozen people chat me up about it. Makes it easy for folks to send their buddies your way. "Hey man, that dude with the Luger is wearing a red shirt that says INGO on it." A good thing to do when selling a gun is to have a little sign on it with the make, model, PRICE$$$, etc. That way people casually passing by or the vendors sitting down can see it from afar and beckon you over to chat. "Hey man, I see you have a Luger. Can I check it out?" Some guys even make a t-shirt or wear a sign, post one on their bag, etc.

Good luck, and have fun!

youngmanjr1970

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 6, 2016
    Franklin
    Be on the lookout for 2 stolen guns there...

Springfield XD 40 Serial #XD518502

H&K VP9 Serial #224-078170

Both guns were stolen on June 27th in Franklin. Please contact Detective Raymond Tice at 317-346-1143 if you have any info. Thanks

drylkuch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2016
    West Lafayette
    Last time I went to the show I bought a shotgun and walked around with it for about 45 minutes. During that time I had 4 people, who were not vendors, ask me if I was selling it. So there is also a market in the people just walking around.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    I'm thinking about heading down from NWI to the 1500. I'm in the market for a solid, no frills AR and basic AK. If anyone will be there with something that fits the bill, please let me know.

Top Bottom