• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I've done all my deer hunting with a shotgun. However, this past season a cousin of mine turned me on to pistol hunting. The challenge appeals to me. He uses a S&W (not sure of the model) revolver in .357 with a six inch barrel. Now I just need to buy the right gear. I know that conventional wisdom says a revolver is the preferred choice for hunting but I am, at least, entertaining the idea of setting up a semi-auto for this purpose.

I am looking for suggestions or advice. Or to see if I am crazy for wanting to use a semi-auto. My first thought was a Desert Eagle with a 10 inch barrel and a pistol scope, but the price is a bit of a turn off. I've also considered a 1911 in 10mm. I carry .45 for self defense, but don't feel this would be the most humane choice for dear.

Desert Eagle: Does anyone own/use this setup? Is the range and accuracy suitable for hunting? .44 or .50AE?

10mm 1911: Would you recommend a long slide (6in) or is 5 inch satisfactory? Could I adapt a factory gun (such as a Delta Elite) for hunting purposes or should I build one specifically for hunting?

Is there anything else I should consider or should I just scrap the whole idea and get a suitable revolver?

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    The plan was after purchasing my DE in .44 was to order the .50 10 inch barrel. That has never happened. I have taken my DE out before and even got to shoot it at a doe but not enough trigger time with the gun resulted in a miss.:rolleyes: I may get it back out this November and try again only if I take one during archery. I need to practice with it more too, haven't shot it in a while. If you haven't already check out the Magnum Research site for the Trophy Club. I want one of those damn shirts.:D

Magnum Research maker of the world's most powerful handguns

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    1.16" case length and .243" bullets minimum on handguns.

.50 cal minimum on muzzleloading pistols.

Oh, and .30 carbine isn't allowed, neither is .25-20... and maybe some others.

In semi-auto pistol cartridges, there are right few that meet the criteria (unless it's like an AK pistol or other non-standard pistol)... 10mm Magnum and .45 Winchester Magnum are two that come to mind.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    1.16" case length and .243" bullets minimum on handguns.

.50 cal minimum on muzzleloading pistols.

Oh, and .30 carbine isn't allowed, neither is .25-20... and maybe some others.

In semi-auto pistol cartridges, there are right few that meet the criteria (unless it's like an AK pistol or other non-standard pistol)... 10mm Magnum and .45 Winchester Magnum are two that come to mind.

I'm pretty sure that the minimum diameter is .357.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Minimum diameter for rifles shooting a pistol cartridge is .357

Minimum diameter for pistols is .243.

That way, you can shoot a contender pistol in .243 and it is legal, but you can not shoot a .243 rifle because the bullet is too small in diameter AND the case is to long.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I COULD be wrong, that's happened at least once before that I am aware of, but I was under the impression that ALL semi-auto's were a no-no to hunt with (deer anyway), mainly due to cartridge sizes, calibers or case lengths.
    I know there are one or two manufacturers that make a .357 mag in semi-auto, but for instance, .45acp is TOO SMALL! Not a long enough case.
    Do you just not like revolvers? I've taken Indiana white-tail with:
    Taurus model 607 in .357 mag 4" ported barrel
    Taurus model "Raging Bull" .454 casull 8-3/8" ported barrel
    Other Pistols I've taken white-tail with:
    Thompson Center Contender .357 mag 10" barrel
    Thompson Center Contender .44 mag 10" barrel
    Thompson Center Contender .410/.45 colt 12" barrel

Last edited:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I COULD be wrong, that's happened at least once before that I am aware of, but I was under the impression that ALL semi-auto's were a no-no to hunt with (deer anyway), mainly due to cartridge sizes, calibers or case lengths.
    I know there are one or two manufacturers that make a .357 mag in semi-auto, but for instance, .45acp is TOO SMALL! Not a long enough case.
    Do you just not like revolvers? I've taken Indiana white-tail with:
    Taurus model 607 in .357 mag 4" ported barrel
    Taurus model "Raging Bull" .454 casull 8-3/8" ported barrel
    Other Pistols I've taken white-tail with:
    Thompson Center Contender .357 mag 10" barrel
    Thompson Center Contender .44 mag 10" barrel
    Thompson Center Contender .410/.45 colt 12" barrel

No, I actually like revolvers. I just got the idea because I haven't seen a dedicated semi-auto hunting pistol. Now I know why. I guess it will have to be the Desert Eagle if I end up going for it. Can someone reference the applicable statutes for this. I believe everyone. I have just been unable to find it for myself.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    No, I actually like revolvers. I just got the idea because I haven't seen a dedicated semi-auto hunting pistol. Now I know why. I guess it will have to be the Desert Eagle if I end up going for it. Can someone reference the applicable statutes for this. I believe everyone. I have just been unable to find it for myself.

DNR: Hunting Guide

I just go with the time tested and dead deer proven, what seems to work for every one else, 44 mag. I don't figure I need any thing special to do the same thing every one else can do and if it works in their hands it should work extra better in my capable hands.;) 44 mag, Ruger Redhawk, 629 S&W and if I want to use a rifle I use an NEF 44 mag instead of trying to turn a hand gun in to a handS gun or hand rifle. 44 mag = dead deer. 12 guage = dead deer. 45 Hawken = dead deer. PSE = dead deer.

Or I guess it's not really the hunting for some people it's the reinvention of the wheel.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thank you for the link.

I do sense some annoyance in your post at going against conventional wisdom. I am just looking for a project. That's all. Sheesh.

Not annoyed at all, sorry if it came across that way. Just I've been caught up in "the project" more than once myself and realised I was making the project the goal instead of the means to achieve the goal.

Top Bottom