Semi auto shotguns... whats your favorite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Not to thread jack, but I've always said "Why?" when I see a semi-auto shotgun... school me!
    BAN MBILLS!

Do you say the same thing for semi-auto rifles? I love shooting bolt rifles, but would not choose one over a Semi-auto for defense.

Less recoil, faster rate of fire, goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I also have a Benelli M4 w/collapsible stock and love it. Eats any load from light to heavy. Installed the carrier comp titanium tube and with a ghost load it holds 9 rounds.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't understand why any range wouldn't allow shotguns? Rifle calibers, I understand. But shotguns?

If he is talking about indoor ranges, there are problems when the plastic wads bunch up in the bullet collection snails, If the range does not notice, shattered lead pieces can be spit back out by a direct hit on the debris and come back at the other shooters, not to mention the labor/time/lead hazard of having to take things apart to clear out the jams caused by the wads.

For the original question, After owning an 1100 Wingmaster, 1100 trap, H&K Red Lion, 11-87 Premier Trap, Beretta 391 Trap and Beretta 391 Parallel Target, the 391 series is my favorite.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Remington 11-87. Great for shooting clays.

Yes they are.
    We had a game that required 4 launchers (we personally had 3 at the time) and at least 6 people. Each launcher was able to throw 2 so you let the operators now how many shells you had in the gun and they loaded accordingly. When you said go the clays would come from every direction but not all at once. It was a hoot.

The 11-87 in the pic would hold 8. I built it up just for this game. It was way to much fun.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'll stick with my Beretta 391's and 400 for clays.
    Love my Beretta... my wife will no longer let me go hunting with it...

She has claimed it as HER gun when we're hunting... despite the fact that I've had the gun longer than I've had her...

Not to thread jack, but I've always said "Why?" when I see a semi-auto shotgun... school me!

Makes for a very smooth follow-through and faster follow-up. The only thing smoother/faster is a over/under with a single trigger (most have single triggers). The difference may not be evident in normal shooting but shoot sporting clays doubles and you'll start to see a very clear difference on the more difficult shots. Factor in that a faster/smooth follow-up can mean the difference between a hit & a miss on real live game and you've got a winner. I used to shoot shotgun competitively, have a few trophies from my times doing it. Most guys wouldn't dare walk up to a line to shoot doubles or sporting clays with a pump. The slight competitive edge that is lost with having to pump the action WHILE still in action typically means you lose.

As to shotguns I have several categories I put them in. Admittedly I haven't shot all of them so some of these are based upon my pre-conceived thoughts/opinions.
    Fun/Blasters: VEPR, Saiga-12, etc
    Premium: Beretta, Benelli
    Higher End: Winchester, Browning, Remington, Mossberg
    Lower end: Charles Daly and the other lesser names...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I forgot.
    I have a P.O.S. AR15 in .410.
    I bought the upper (huge mistake) and built the lower myself.

The upper was made in Turkey, by a company called Safir Arms, and imported through American Tactical Imports (A.T.I.)
    Biggest piece of crap ever produced and A.T.I. would not back the product they sold.
    I even filed a complaint against them with the BBB.
    No satisfaction from A.T.I. at all.
    Will never purchase another of their offerings.

jhelm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 4, 2015
    Washington
    I'd have to say my favorite semiautomatic shotgun is my benelli m4. Tube extension and factory collapsible stock. Runs like a beast and eats any make of 12 gauge ammo I feed it.....Benelli, there is no substitute!!!

Top Bottom