semi auto with 'tilt up" barrel, which ones?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    surprise for girlfriend....well, sort of a surprise. she has trouble with a slide with too strong of spring......what models and brands do you guys have? and which do you like best?

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    The Beretta Tomcat in .32 acp is your best bet in a current production gun. They used to make the Cheetah in .380 with a tip up barrel, but is no longer in production, and are selling for $1000+ on Gunbroker.

The other options are the Beretta 21 in .22lr or .25 acp, or one of the Taurus clones.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I always thought a "tip-up" would be a good choice for someone having trouble racking a slide. Then I had one in my class and saw it first hand. A lot of handguns in 380 or smaller are somewhat ammo specific and until you find what works well for that certain handgun there will be problems. The one in my class was a .22lr Taurus and wouldn't get off three shots in a row without a jam. When we tried a different ammo it did a little better but not good. I was told by a gun shop owner later that CCI is the only ammo that works well in that model. Then it gets worse when it did jam since it is designed to not need to have the slide racked the slide was difficult to grasp. All this coupled with a strong recoil spring and clearing a jam is super difficult. The video in the earlier post however is excellent and in my opinion it is much better to learn how to rack the slide. Jim.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I had a Beretta in 25 acp with tip up barrel, and it was horrendous for me. It would usually get the first couple of shots off without a jam, but I could count on it not being able to finish a magazine without a stoppage. I gave it to my uncle as a gift, and he has had zero issues with it. I think that they are very sensitive on grip, and ammo. His hands are a little smaller, and his daughters are even smaller yet, and they both have no trouble shooting it. Just something to consider if a tiny auto is something you are considering.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    roger all of that......and thanks. I wasn't aware of these issues and thought they were made in some larger calibers....oh well, time for some different surprises.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My Beretta .32 ran and ran, never a problem. The year after I bought my Tom Cat, they came out with the Alley Cat which was the same pistol but it had factory night sights. Tiny pistols with short slides are not the easiest to work the slide, mostly because there is really not much place to grab onto. The little .22 and .25 models have a weaker recoil spring, but by the time you get to .32 and .380, the spring gets pretty stiff.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    although not a tip barrel, the new Walther CCP is supposed to have the lightest racking 9mm slide on market for a common production gun

*correct me if I'm wrong*

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If she isn't carrying it, get her a beretta 92fs.

At the NRA convention I had my mother demo many many different handguns since she has a tendon injury and has trouble with most firearms. The beretta 92s were the easiest for her to rack of anything.

I recently tried the walther CCP and I did not find it any easier to rack, honestly, and I'm a huge walther fanboy.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    My p30 was really easy to rack the slide, but thats because it was a da/sa. My wife struggled with slide operation at first, but really it's all in practice. Drive forward with the right hand and back with the left over the slide. Finger off the trigger! :)

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Beretta Model 86 is the handgun you are searching for.
    It is based on the Cheetah frame.
    .380 ACP with a magazine capacity of 8 +1 in the chamber.
    They are out of production and sometimes hard to find because the owners tend to keep them because they fill a need for people who have difficulties manipulating a slide.
    My wife has one and it has been a good choice for her.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The Beretta Tomcat in .32 acp is your best bet in a current production gun. They used to make the Cheetah in .380 with a tip up barrel, but is no longer in production, and are selling for $1000+ on Gunbroker.

The other options are the Beretta 21 in .22lr or .25 acp, or one of the Taurus clones.

I think the 21a, is awesome !!!!! I have been wanting one for a while !!!!! Less than $300.00 IIRC !!!!!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have a Taurus PT22 with the tip up barrel. It won't shoot Remington Thunderbolts, but I have used CCI and American Eagle with zero problems. Many rounds through it with no issues.

That being said, I prefer to shoot my .45 Springfield and have found that when I hold the slide in my left and hand push the pistol with my right, I have NO problem at all racking the slide. If I try to hold the gun and pull the slide back, my left hand is not as strong and it can be difficult. Knowing how to do it in a way that works for me made a big difference in my enjoyment when shooting that gun.

I like my .22 for plinking, but my carry gun is always a .45.

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Beretta 86, this would be my choice. I have one just because I've always admired it, but I wouldn't part with it. It is one of the most accurate, smooth shooting pistols I have, the only one better is the Browning (also in 380 and made by Beretta).

However, I have seen some posts that discuss the cleaning issue. But if you're npt on the range pumping 100s of round through it, that's probably not an issue.

Top Bottom