• edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't doubt that BHO would do this.

The only thing is, to process the MILLIONS of semi-automatic firearms in this country would take MANY years.

Even with a 100% cooperative public.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    yeah right, the President would be impeached and removed inside of a week if he pulled some stunt like this.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Seems like a "reasonable" next step. It's not infringing upon your right, it is merely adding a "tax" for revenue creating reasons. If it is their intention to do so it should pass with no problems. Well, with as much problems as the original NFA had in becoming law anyway.

I doubt any "galvanizing" will occur. People will complain then everyone who has guns will rush to get them registered under some kind of grandfather clause like they did when the NFA became law.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    yeah right, the President would be impeached and removed inside of a week if he pulled some stunt like this.

Probably impeached but not removed. It would be a party lines vote just like it was with Billy Jeff. (Before THAT debate starts, I found it a stretch, but then again the same people who defended Clinton were salivating over having Scooter Libby's hide hanging on the wall for the same offence regarding something he hadn't even done himself, unlike Clinton. Just proves that justice in politics is usually bad theater.)

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harry Reid isn't going to allow that. If this happens, he will be cheering. The leftists control the Senate. They will never speak against Obama.

They wouldn't have any choice during an impeachment proceeding, because Chief Justice Roberts would be presiding over the Senate.

You all are probably right that 2/3 would not vote to remove, but it would be political suicide, both long term and short term, for any politician to do something like this.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    They wouldn't have any choice during an impeachment proceeding, because Chief Justice Roberts would be presiding over the Senate.

You all are probably right that 2/3 would not vote to remove, but it would be political suicide, both long term and short term, for any politician to do something like this.

He doesn't care! He's done running for office. What political suicide? Better to de-fund the BATFE.
    It ought to be a daggone convenience store anyway.:dunno:

Printcraft, that video makes me ill every time I see it. I hope we're willing to put up the fight it takes to stop ANYTHING like that.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    There is NO precedent nor law you can twist to turn semi auto firearms into NFA regulated firearms, they do not meet any of the classifications already laid out in law.

To CHANGE or ADD a designation actually would require an act of congress. Examples include: the original 1934 NFA, the 1968 Gun Control act and the 1986 Hughes amendment attached to the FOPA that Reagan signed.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There is NO precedent nor law you can twist to turn semi auto firearms into NFA regulated firearms, they do not meet any of the classifications already laid out in law.

To CHANGE or ADD a designation actually would require an act of congress. Examples include: the original 1934 NFA, the 1968 Gun Control act and the 1986 Hughes amendment attached to the FOPA that Reagan signed.

Why is the NFA any different than the bankruptcy law with which Obama made up his own revised version that stood the law on its head as he went along? I am not disagreeing that you are legally correct, but I don't think Obama is going to let such a thing as an inconvenient law stand in his way. Besides, I would say that over half the population doesn't know the difference anyway between an unrestricted semi-auto and an NFA weapon, and doesn't care to know either.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Obama-messiah doesn't have to go NFA. All he has to do is follow Bush the First and demand ATF follow the sporting purpose clause of the 1968 GCA. Redefine any firearm he doesn't like as a non-sporting weapon and instant ban as violating the 1968 GCA.

Now enforcing it would be interesting.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Why is the NFA any different than the bankruptcy law with which Obama made up his own revised version that stood the law on its head as he went along? I am not disagreeing that you are legally correct, but I don't think Obama is going to let such a thing as an inconvenient law stand in his way. Besides, I would say that over half the population doesn't know the difference anyway between an unrestricted semi-auto and an NFA weapon, and doesn't care to know either.

Absolutely true! 'obeyme' and his minions have shown nothing but contempt for the rule of law. The long list of exec. orders to not enforce laws, to overeach and make regs contrary to existing law, and the deliberate failure to enforce laws fairly, are kid's play compared to the criminality of 'fast & assinine'. If he could have gotten away with it, that thug would have just had a coup instead of an election.
    Keep your powder dry:ar15:

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

Simply adding it in would suffice.

ATF Online - Firearms - National Firearms Act (NFA)

It's acknowledged that the underlying reason for the NFA were more than just Congress exercising it's power to tax.

As far as how it would be done... well that's answered in the ATF's little factoid about the NFA:

"Congress found these firearms to pose a significant crime problem because of their frequent use in crime, particularly the gangland crimes of that era such as the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. The $200 making and transfer taxes on most NFA firearms were considered quite severe and adequate to carry out Congress’ purpose to discourage or eliminate transactions in these firearms. The $200 tax has not changed since 1934."

So, because the use of semi-autos pose a significant crime problem because of their frequent use in crime (take your pick - virigina tech, columbine, batman premiere, etc. etc.) adding them to the NFA list and imposing an additional 200.00 tax and extra paperwork and registration procedures should be severe and adequate enough to carry out Congress's purpose to discourage or eliminate transactions of these firearms.

The exact same logic used to create the NFA holds true to adding semi-autos to the list.

BTW the Supreme Court finds the NFA totally Constitutional now that "the requirement for possessors of unregistered firearms to register was removed."

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Such a "ban" would be meaningless and unenforceable. You could ignore it with impunity. It'll never happen. Just a source stirring a pot for attention.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Such a "ban" would be meaningless and unenforceable. You could ignore it with impunity. It'll never happen. Just a source stirring a pot for attention.

Same cold have been said for machine guns, suppressors, SBRs, and AOWs prior to 1934--and that was in a society that valued liberty much more than contemporary America does.

Top Bottom