• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duckman321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    Dyer
    Ok I'd be the friend! I'm looking At a Benelli M2 and a Remington versa max as of right now! Not sure if inertia driven system is better than gas? I still have research to do! What do you think about the M2 and versa max?

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    IMHO Inertia is easier to clean and more reliable but recoil not as soft as gas. Gas is a pain to clean and seems to fail when the chips are down...

Please do your wallet a favor and look into the Franchi Affinity. Its made in the same factory in Italy that makes the M2.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Ok I'd be the friend! I'm looking At a Benelli M2 and a Remington versa max as of right now! Not sure if inertia driven system is better than gas? I still have research to do! What do you think about the M2 and versa max?
    FYI, M2 is a 3" chamber, Versa Max is 3 1/2". Not sure how important that is to you. Both guns should work just fine, the newer gas systems are much better that they used to be as I understand it. Make sure you handle them before you buy, might make the difference between the two. Good luck with your search!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I killed many dozens of geese with my 2 3/4 inch Rem 1100 until someone finally educated me that I needed something bigger... I haven't killed nearly as many with my BPS 3 1/2 inch, but at least I am properly equipped now.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010

For a semi-auto waterfowl gun, I think there are three key questions to ask yourself:

1) what is your budget?
    2) do you need 3.5" chamber or are you OK with 3" chamber?
    3) do you care about finish / camo?

I hunt with a Remington 11-87. I would love to upgrade to a VersaMax, but do not see a major advantage over my current 11-87 to justify the cost. I'm comfortable with only shooting 3" loads.

bigjross2002

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    I would personally get the Benelli M2 or SBE I or II. Both of my guns will cycle the lightest skeet loads just fine without a hitch. I have taken my M2 on about 4 snow goose hunts and numerous duck seasons (I hunt about 3-4 times a week). These guns are extremely easy to clean, light weight and very pointable. In the unlikely event you take a spill in the water you can simply open the action and dump the water out and it is still useable for the hunt. With a gas gun you need to take it apart and make sure there is no gas in the system. Unfortunately my M2 is about to be replaced by a Supersport...

I have seen some really good Berettas out there too, I am just a bought and sold Benelli guy myself.

Gas guns shoot softer, but in heavy hunting clothing you never notice the difference in the field shooting at game.

I also tend to agree that 3.5 inch loads offer little advantage and up the cost and recoil.

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I looked at the new A5 being a fan of them. Felt good, but not any better than the Beretta Outlander. Also wanted a gas driven system to reduce the recoil. New A5 is still recoil operated.

Duckman321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    Dyer
    Limit is around 1500! I like how the A5 has the "hump" that makes it for easy sighting for quick drawls on ducks dove and pheasant

Top Bottom