• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I'm guessing by register he means pay the "tax" and this would only apply to people of older wars since we are not currently allowed to keep "trophies"

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    My guess is that if they have kept them safely out of the governments eye since 68 during the last time this was done; they will probably still keep them safely out of the governments eye for the next few decades. Nice gesture, but merely symbolic at this point.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    There are a lot of families right now sitting on illegal STG44's and other valuable and/or rare machine guns that they can't do anything with. If this passed I would imagine there would be a lot of people registering these guns and then looking for a $40K check.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The measure applies to any American veteran stationed outside the continental United States and who acquired a firearm in combat between June 26, 1934 and October 31, 1968.

Similar bills have been introduced in, at least, the last 4 or 5 Congresses. This would be a major victory if we could get it passed. Please write you Senator and Representative. The bill, if the same as previously introduced, would also allow registration of war trophies by surviving heirs of deceased veterans who execute an affidavit saying it was possessed by the deceased as a war trophy. This would be the first real penetration of the '86 freeze.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My guess is that if they have kept them safely out of the governments eye since 68 during the last time this was done; they will probably still keep them safely out of the governments eye for the next few decades. Nice gesture, but merely symbolic at this point.
    And just how many of them actually knew about the amnesty in 68? We didn't have internet, few people even had phones at that point. So most communication was news paper or letters/magazines.

That is the whole premise behind allowing them to register legitimate war trophies. They brought the war trophies back and IIRC they were considered legal at the time solely with the bring-back paperwork. The laws changed and they created an amnesty to register them. Many vets had no idea about the registry.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Similar bills have been introduced in, at least, the last 4 or 5 Congresses. This would be a major victory if we could get it passed.
    I don't think this would be a major victory, or even a slight one. This wouldn't be a penetration or even a dent in the 86 freeze. A hollow victory at best. I doubt this would see even 100 firearms be registered.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm guessing by register he means pay the "tax" and this would only apply to people of older wars since we are not currently allowed to keep "trophies"

The bill specifically lists firearms acquired in combat between 1934 and 1968.
    I don't think this would be a major victory, or even a slight one. This wouldn't be a penetration or even a dent in the 86 freeze. A hollow victory at best. I doubt this would see even 100 firearms be registered.

I disagree. I would bet a fair amount of money that even a 90 day amnesty would see guns registered numbering in the thousands. :twocents:

I have been asked the question of what to do with bringback machineguns by family members of deceased veterans more than a couple times....;)

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN

It would be a victory and a battle won if just one more made it to the Registry.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    It would be a victory and a battle won if just one more made it to the Registry.

A hollow one though. Even a few thousand isn't enough to reverse the damage to liberty that the registry took away.

Would be good for the vets familys though, so I support it!

Top Bottom