Sending a pistol back to the manufacturer.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Last month I got myself my first polymer pistol. The thing shot great but after it's first 110~ rounds it was getting dark so I took it home and noticed what I thought to be abnormal wear of the polymer. After sharing photos, I was told it needed to be sent back. Well, I finally got word back from the manufacturer and they're paying to have it sent back to them (as they should) ... however they've given me digital FedEx labels. The thing is, there is no FedEx store around me. I was under the impression they'd be sending something to my LGS where I bought the pistol so they could send it back without charging me for the transfer. What am I supposed to do? The closest FedEx store to me is 40 miles away in Florence, KY.

I thought it was illegal to mail a firearm across state lines. What am I supposed to do? Is this normal? I've never had to return a firearm back to the manufacturer before so this is all new to me.

As always, appreciative of the help. Hit me with some knowledge, INGO!

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    FedEx should have pick-up service in your area. Otherwise the local businesses (gun stores) couldn't function. Call FedEx and ask for assistance. The other option is UPS.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    US Postal Service is okay for FFL to FFL shipments.

How about asking for FedEx to do a pick-up?

Directions from them were unclear. This is what they emailed me:

Good morning. I am sorry you are having an issue with your firearm. I
    have obtained an RMA number so that you may send it in for service. Your
    RMA number is: <snipped>. Please send the firearm, your magazines, and a brief
    note detailing your issues to us at your convenience. I will email you a
    prepaid FedEx label by the end of the business day to this email account.
    If you have any other questions please feel free to email or call us at
    any time.

Then the following email from them was from FedEx.

I could have emailed them back or called but didn't really look into it until just now. They didn't say 'Go to your local gun shop with this prepaid label and have them mail your firearm back to us' nor did they really give any instruction, hence this thread.

So to be clear, I can put it in a box and have FedEx pick it up at my house?.. Or I must go to a FFL to have them send it back?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Directions from them were unclear. This is what they emailed me:

Then the following email from them was from FedEx.

I could have emailed them back or called but didn't really look into it until just now. They didn't say 'Go to your local gun shop with this prepaid label and have them mail your firearm back to us' nor did they really give any instruction, hence this thread.

So to be clear, I can put it in a box and have FedEx pick it up at my house?.. Or I must go to a FFL to have them send it back?

you can put it in a box and have fed ex pick it up at your house. It is going to a manufacturer, they have an FFL. You are good to go.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Having recently experienced this with Springfield and my XDs, the answer is YES, you can LEGALLY ship a firearm across state lines to the manufacturer, who is an FFL holder, and receive it back from them directly. Springfield also used FedEx and provided pre-printed labels. The instructions said call for a pickup or take to a FedEx location, NOT to a "FedEx Store" or other non-FedEx dropoff facility. The FedEx guy comes to the building where I work almost every day, and I just flagged him down and gave it to the driver directly. He scanned it in and it showed delivered the next day.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's all kosher because no transfer is occurring. You, the owner, will ship to the manufacturer or business to repair it, and then back to you. It remains your gun the whole time.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Last month I got myself my first polymer pistol. The thing shot great but after it's first 110~ rounds it was getting dark so I took it home and noticed what I thought to be abnormal wear of the polymer. After sharing photos, I was told it needed to be sent back. Well, I finally got word back from the manufacturer and they're paying to have it sent back to them (as they should) ... however they've given me digital FedEx labels. The thing is, there is no FedEx store around me. I was under the impression they'd be sending something to my LGS where I bought the pistol so they could send it back without charging me for the transfer. What am I supposed to do? The closest FedEx store to me is 40 miles away in Florence, KY.

I thought it was illegal to mail a firearm across state lines. What am I supposed to do? Is this normal? I've never had to return a firearm back to the manufacturer before so this is all new to me.

As always, appreciative of the help. Hit me with some knowledge, INGO!

Perfectly legal, FedEx should pick it up at your house. The Manufacturer can repair or replace the firearm (with the same type per BATF rules) and send it back to your home. As I recall (may be wrong), I do think an adult signature is required when they deliver the repair or replacement to your home, other than that no issues.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Interesting. It's beginning to sound like this won't be as much of a hassle as I was beginning to think it would be.
    ee
    Can anyone confirm this?

The others are correct. Shipping a firearm back for repair is a special case where the normal transfer stuff does not apply. A gun shop will often do it for you as customer service, but it's not necessary. You still have to have a carrier willing to carry guns.

One little-known method is that FFL holders can send guns to each other using the U.S. Postal Service, believe it or not. You would have to pay a fee to your FFL, but then you could use a Priority Flat Rate box, which could possibly save enough money to beat FedEx, even with the transfer fees included. Check it out.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    This works for Long guns returning to the manufacturer for repairs as well. Shipped using UPS to Ruger. Returned the same UPS to my door. No muss no Fuss

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    One little-known method is that FFL holders can send guns to each other using the U.S. Postal Service, believe it or not. You would have to pay a fee to your FFL, but then you could use a Priority Flat Rate box, which could possibly save enough money to beat FedEx, even with the transfer fees included. Check it out.

If the manufacturer repairs the gun they can ship it to your door.
    If they replace it, it must go to, and through an FFL.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    If the manufacturer repairs the gun they can ship it to your door.
    If they replace it, it must go to, and through an FFL.

Not true. I sent in a Remington 700 Police with a rough chamber and the gun I got back had a completely different serial number. Straight to my door.

Top Bottom