Sending text messages in a SHTF scenario.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I was looking at D-star radios ...
    I see now they have the ability to connect your phone to the radio via Bluetooth and send text messages.
    Still requires internet in the middle, unless I guess you are both on the same repeater.
    Person you are talking with would also need a d-star radio.
    I think you can do the same with Fusion radios.
    -rvb

deeno3432

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2018
    heartland
    If its truly shtf then Im not counting on my phone at all. Likely towers will be overloaded and bandwidth will be unreliable. I glad to always whether at work or my usual outing with the family to be max 4 miles away. Id suppose a true shtf event is either going to be immediately noticable (explosion, zombies,etc) or it will take some time before its so bad before I HAVE to get home. Sadly well really never know antil it happens.

INGarand

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2014
    Buffaloville
    Advance plan with the family during a SHTF event. Don't plan on relying on any type of current communications. A federal comm officer gave a class about comm during Kitrina. The found out the old CB radios were the only thing they could rely on. Of course when the SHTF, the radio frequenies will be jammed. Rely on yourself and you advance plans.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Advance plan with the family during a SHTF event. Don't plan on relying on any type of current communications. A federal comm officer gave a class about comm during Kitrina. The found out the old CB radios were the only thing they could rely on. Of course when the SHTF, the radio frequenies will be jammed. Rely on yourself and you advance plans.

He must of forgot about us HAMS.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Google voice/hangouts could be an option if internet is still functioning. These can be accessed by devices (phone, tablet, PC). You can set up a Google voice number and it acts very similar to an SMS message. You can also send messages through the hangouts (using the email as the user identifier). This can all use wifi/ethernet. I am not sure about the SMS messages depending on cell stuff in between though.

BTW Hangouts is the app used. I can use android or chrome extension, but I am not sure how iPhone works with it (probably just fine).

I can send a text from my cell number to a google voice number via sms (can be received via laptop/cell/tablet).
    I can send a text from my google voice number (from laptop/cell/tablet to another google voice number (like sms, but may be different route, but not sure).
    I can send a message to a google user via hangouts from my laptop/cell/tablet.

There are probably a few options above that I did not cover, but it is another option and free.

All of this requires some level of internet capability, and perhaps some cell coverage, but may give some options.

As a side effect, I use this mostly for texting. It is great because I can do it from my PC, which I prefer for sending links and crap like that.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I was going to reply suggesting morse code also thanks for the link.

No prob. Using that method of learning Morse code was quick and easy for me. On Android phones you can add a Morse keyboard so you can text or post online with the Morse keys. I used it for a few weeks but found it was too slow to keep up with me. So I went back to the normal keyboard

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I use to used Packet transmissions on a Ham Radio on VHF, a Terminal Node Controller (TNC) and a computer. It was like email before email was around. Some frequencies managed to make a link across the U.S. One would send to the next, it sent it to the next, etc. It only needs the Radio and TNC to be powered when waiting for a message, it uses very little power and has the ability to store the email in the TNC. I use to use an old KPC-3 decades ago, I noticed they finally make it in USB so it works with modern computers now, it use to use the old serial port. Anyway, if 2 people knew how to use it, you could even have a prearranged time and only be up and running a short time if you were low on power. It uses so little power, a basic marine battery and a solar cell to keep it charged would work nice. A directional high gain antenna would give you more range, along with being on a frequency that others use to repeat the signal.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/tnc/1908.html

Top Bottom