• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I was just reading an article about an O'Bama signed "order" stating that if Senior Citizens who have someone helping them with their financial affairs can have their firearms taken away from them. I guess reaching the age of 69, I would fall into the Senior Citizen category.

My question is: Does having Auto-Bill Pay I set up with my bank count as "...getting financial help with bills"?

I did this so all my monthly bills go out on the same day and I don't have to fiddle around writing checks and mailing the payments before the due dates of the accounts.

Just curious here...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    In a perfect world, it would be more like having the discussion with an elderly parent about when the time has come to give up driving (due to them being a danger to themselves and others). In this case it would be a discussion about perhaps having all or most of their firearms put in 'protective custody' by a family member for similar reasons. Unfortunately that is not the world we live in. Where Obama is involved I'm forced to postulate that its just another way to work around the margins to find a way to deprive people of their 2A rights.

I don't think you need worry about this at 69, and I think some official finding of diminished capacity at the very least would be necessary to instigate it.

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    You are fine with the current set-up. In fact, it is a very intelligent decision on your part to manage your finances that way.

When my Dad was in hospice care, the time came when he could no longer manage his finances or pay his bills. He gave me a General Power of Attorney to manage his finances and start selling off his assets. He was no longer able to drive and had misplaced, (hidden) the titles to all his vehicles and checkbook. In the process of sorting this mess, I discovered that he had over $100K in debt and less than $4k in the bank. Then discovered that he would never lock his gun safe and had recently purchased dozens of firearms. Then he started demanding that he carry a loaded firearm to all his doctors appointments. It was not a good day when I locked up all his guns and put an extra chain and lock around the gun safe. It's guys like him that this law applies to.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I figure when my kids put me in assisted living or something like that I'll have to sell my stuff. Hopefully I'll have time to plan, it won't be fun, but I'll just have to make the best of it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I was just reading an article about an O'Bama signed "order" stating that if Senior Citizens who have someone helping them with their financial affairs can have their firearms taken away from them. I guess reaching the age of 69, I would fall into the Senior Citizen category.

My question is: Does having Auto-Bill Pay I set up with my bank count as "...getting financial help with bills"?

I did this so all my monthly bills go out on the same day and I don't have to fiddle around writing checks and mailing the payments before the due dates of the accounts.

Just curious here...

I believe that has to do with Veterans and the VA.. Not Joe Citizen..

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I figure when my kids put me in assisted living or something like that I'll have to sell my stuff. Hopefully I'll have time to plan, it won't be fun, but I'll just have to make the best of it.

Man, that's easy to cure.. Preplan well and give the good stuff to who you want to have it, before your mind and body fail you..

I would rather give my kid items that he can use for a bunch of his life, not just his last 15 to 25 years as a old man himself.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Just curious here...

I think the executive order makes the Social Security Administration report to NICS the social security recipients who receive benefits for mental disabilities and are unable to manage their benefits because of the mental impairment. In other words, if you are mentally unable to manage your own finances you might be added to NICS and couldn't buy guns. In the order I think there is a provision to appeal that.

IANAL, but I wouldn't think that would apply to your situation. And even if you have a son or daughter help you with your finances, that's not mental impairment either. I help my 80 year old mother-in-law with hers. And though she is an old nag and all, she's still got all her marbles. She's just used to using a check ledger for the last few centuries of sucking the life out of people. "Online" is really confusing to her.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My brother several years ago took all but official permanent possession of his FIL's S&W model 10 because said FIL had had a stroke and had been acting erratically, including threatening people.
    They made a good decision there.

Top Bottom