Senior Moment : No NICS w/ CCW? Once upon a time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Okay, first, I'm donning the asbestos undies. . .

I moved away from Indiana in 2000. I moved back last year.

For some reason, I seem to recall that if a person had a CCW, they didn't have to go through the NICS check back then.

Am I just having a bout of early-onset Alzheimers, or was this the case and things changed?

I'm going to go have some creamed corn, now.

The Professor

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Effective October 1, 2003, Indiana licenses to carry handguns no longer qualify as alternatives to the NICS background check required under the Brady Law.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I wasn't in the gun scene then, would have been nice. Was there still a 4473 type form filled out that the FFL had to keep on file?

Yes, you would still fill out the same 4473, they just didn't have to call in a check. There are about 25 states who's permits still exempt their bearers from NICS.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The Indiana LTCH used to exempt you from a background check and so did being a LEO. When I retired from IPD in '93, I was issued a lifetime LTCH. Funny thing was it was only good for the buyer's exemption for 5 years. I had to "renew" my lifetime license in '99 then the Brady bunch made it a moot point. Perhaps it's been erased from my increasingly-random memory but I do not recall filling out a 4473 prior to that.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The Indiana LTCH used to exempt you from a background check and so did being a LEO. When I retired from IPD in '93, I was issued a lifetime LTCH. Funny thing was it was only good for the buyer's exemption for 5 years. I had to "renew" my lifetime license in '99 then the Brady bunch made it a moot point. Perhaps it's been erased from my increasingly-random memory but I do not recall filling out a 4473 prior to that.

I have purchased handguns with my LTCH, can't remember the year it was stopped, but as I recall the reasoning the Feds used was that Indiana background check for the LTCH did not include one of the federal agencies (and still doesn't) so it can not be used in place of the current background check used when you purchase a handgun. As stated above, I don't remember filling out a 4473 during the years when the LTCH was the only document required. Like the above I also suffer from some memory problems (it has been a long time, so I will use that as my excuse). I did purchase several handguns using the LTCH. Odd part is that even though I have a Current lifetime LTCH, AND a FFL -03 (Collector of Curio and Relic Federal license) I still have to pass a background check every time I purchase a firearm.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Also, with the old CC permit, because there was no background check, the waiting period was waived. I can't remember how long the waiting period was for sure but I think it was 5 days.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's been awhile, but I never remember fingerprints for handgun purchase.

You might have been keeping the engines on line during the change over, act.

It was a separate form--size was a half sheet of paper. In the bottom right hand corner there was a space for fingerprints if the person did not have a Larry (remember the 4"X6" Larrys?) (waived) or a badge (exempt).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Okay, first, I'm donning the asbestos undies. . .

I moved away from Indiana in 2000. I moved back last year.

For some reason, I seem to recall that if a person had a CCW, they didn't have to go through the NICS check back then.

Am I just having a bout of early-onset Alzheimers, or was this the case and things changed?

I'm going to go have some creamed corn, now.

The Professor

There is no need to panic. Your memory is correct. The NICS check was waived if you held a valid Larry.

In 2003 made a letter ruling that ISP's check was not in compliance with federal law. The General Assembly has never funded additional funds for an improved check regime.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I still have two pistols I bought back when the carry permit allowed you to walk out with them in hand. Funny how they are still two of my favorites as well.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I also still have 2 handguns that I bought when an Indiana Gun License exempted you from the waiting period.
    Ahhh the good old days.

Top Bottom