• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    First I know there are better safes. I know the one I'm looking at isn't fireproof.
    These do seem to be a step up from the Stack-On sheetmetal I was considering.

I 'm looking at the Sentry 10 or 14 gun safe. These have a combo lock, 3 large cylynder bolts and some decent steel. A local store is trying to deal on someof them. I can get either one for close to $300 delivered up a flight of stairs.

Can anyone speak to the theftdeterrent of these safes?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    open the door, engage the lock. and press on one of the bolts with your finger/hand

if the bolt presses into the door, thusly unlocking itself.... it's little more than a locked metal box.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Not sure what model you are refering to? You do pretty much get what you pay for. Buy the best you can. Another option on an entry priced safe, look at liberty centurion at lowes. It was or is $299.00 and you can get 10% off coupon making end cost i beleive $286.00. with tax. It has some fire protection but not much.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Any of those is better than just a gunlocker. I'd go for it.

Are you referring to the sentries as well?

I do agree on the better tha a gun locker. They look like a "real" safe. I will try what Lars said and will also look to Lowe's

Maybe I can get get some INGO young folks to help hefting it up the stairs for a modest fee.....(Look for a services needed thread:D)

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Not sure what model you are refering to? You do pretty much get what you pay for. Buy the best you can. Another option on an entry priced safe, look at liberty centurion at lowes. It was or is $299.00 and you can get 10% off coupon making end cost i beleive $286.00. with tax. It has some fire protection but not much.

$389 on their website but I'll go look at the stores. Also it is rated for 20 minutes of fire protection. Won't good steel do that anyway?(serious question)

Here's the centurian.

Centurion by Liberty Safe at Lowe's: 12 Cu. Ft. Executive Safe

I can get this one for about $300 delivered up a flight of stairs

Shop Sentry Safes - Sentry G1055C - 10 Gun Safe with Combination Lock #G1055C

or this one for $350 up the same set of stairs.

Walmart.com: Sentry G4211 14-Gun Combination Safe: Hunting

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Yes, even the sentries. Had one last year (which I sold to an INGO member for an overflow/ammo safe, by the way) which was of decent steel construction. Not a bit fireproof, and yes, I've seen the break in videos. But still better than a thin sheet metal box. And a heck of a lot better than getting your stuff stolen, or having it fall into the neighbor kid's hands.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Thanks againpeople. Anyone of the trick of using some sheets of fireproof drywall around the safe to extend fire protection? I swear I read that on INGO at some point...

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    sentry safe

opened the door and locked it pushed on bolt stays out/locked i have the combo lock no fire proof model i like it for what it is bolt down for theft detterent though also i only got mine because it was marked from 285 to 150 dollars at walmart but im so glad i finnaly got a safe

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Fire resistance using cement board

Check into cement board for lining your safe. It is available at most home improvement stores. It is literally a thin sheet of cement.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Check into cement board for lining your safe. It is available at most home improvement stores. It is literally a thin sheet of cement.

Thanks!

Did you put it on the outside or try and lin the inside with it?

Edit: OK I'm guessing the inside. What did you secur it with if anything?

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    You can put either the cement board or fire resistant drywall on the inside and use construction adhesive (select the correct kind) to secure it. Cement board adds weight as well and if you overlap the seams, even better. cover the inside with something to protect your guns from scrapes. You can find a fire resistant seal material (like used on wood stoves) to use around the door.

Newg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Westside of Indy.

I have this same safe. I have been very happy with it since the day I purchased it. My advice would be if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, buy a better safe. If not, buy this one. I know that the Sentry may not keep out the hardcore safe-cracks but It will do fine against most common burglars. To be honest I worry more about my game systems and TV being stolen than my guns. The guns are locked up, my other crap is out in the open!
    Thats my input.

Now I'm done!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I have this same safe. I have been very happy with it since the day I purchased it. My advice would be if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, buy a better safe. If not, buy this one. I know that the Sentry may not keep out the hardcore safe-cracks but It will do fine against most common burglars. To be honest I worry more about my game systems and TV being stolen than my guns. The guns are locked up, my other crap is out in the open!
    Thats my input.

Now I'm done!

On a budget. I'm thnking of doing the 14 gun and barganing as much as I can with the shop owner.....I want it ..he does not...should work out. I'll then likely do soem ghetto fire proofing.
    Can you bolt these to the wall and use a stud?

Top Bottom