Sequestration? What are YOU doing to prepare for it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    My family is trying to dump monthly bills, since I may lose 20% of my pay for the summer.
    Got to have money to camp!

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    It could have a bigger impact than people realize when the ripple effect is considered. Indiana doesn't have as much federal business as some states but there are still a lot of people earning paychecks based on defense spending.

Installations
    Grissom
    Crane
    Atterbury (Reserve training)
    DFAS (in old Benjamin Harrison)

TOP DEFENSE CONTRACTORS IN INDIANA

The Top 10 defense contractors in Indiana collected 75 percent of military contracts awarded in the state in fiscal year 2010. A look at the top 10 companies, the products they supply and their contract values:

» AM General (South Bend); Humvee trucks; $1 billion.

» Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis); engines; $733 million.

» Raytheon (Indianapolis/Ft. Wayne); missile and communications systems, electronics; $665 million.

» ITT Corp. (Fort Wayne); electronic communications; $392 million.

» Calumet Specialty Products (Indianapolis); petroleum products; $132 million.

» Ameriqual Group (Evansville); shelf-stable foods; $121 million.

» Petroleum Traders (Fort Wayne); fuel wholesaler; $120 million.

» ERAPSCO (Columbia City); sonobuoys and sonar systems; $87 million.

» Tri Star Engineering (Bedford); engineering support for weapons systems; $51 million.

» Kimball International (Jasper); infrared technology, electronics services; $27.7 million.

Source: Indiana Business Research Center, Indiana University

Source: Indy Star

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It could have a bigger impact than people realize when the ripple effect is considered. Indiana doesn't have as much federal business as some states but there are still a lot of people earning paychecks based on defense spending.

Installations
    Grissom
    Crane
    Atterbury (Reserve training)
    DFAS (in old Benjamin Harrison)

TOP DEFENSE CONTRACTORS IN INDIANA

The Top 10 defense contractors in Indiana collected 75 percent of military contracts awarded in the state in fiscal year 2010. A look at the top 10 companies, the products they supply and their contract values:

» AM General (South Bend); Humvee trucks; $1 billion.

» Rolls-Royce (Indianapolis); engines; $733 million.

» Raytheon (Indianapolis/Ft. Wayne); missile and communications systems, electronics; $665 million.

» ITT Corp. (Fort Wayne); electronic communications; $392 million.

» Calumet Specialty Products (Indianapolis); petroleum products; $132 million.

» Ameriqual Group (Evansville); shelf-stable foods; $121 million.

» Petroleum Traders (Fort Wayne); fuel wholesaler; $120 million.

» ERAPSCO (Columbia City); sonobuoys and sonar systems; $87 million.

» Tri Star Engineering (Bedford); engineering support for weapons systems; $51 million.

» Kimball International (Jasper); infrared technology, electronics services; $27.7 million.

Source: Indiana Business Research Center, Indiana University

Source: Indy Star

You left out Several Thousand Federal worker bee for the VA, SS admin, (what few National Park employees here) FAA, US Marshals, DEA, Bureau of Prisons

If it goes throughwhen you factor in how many people work directly for or for a company directly related to the GOV it will make a splash in the economy

TravisJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Muncie/Ft. Wayne, IN
    Eh, seems to me about the only damage it will possibly do to the economy is by causing a panic. They should be making larger cuts, mainly in welfare and other entitlements. I heard somewhere the other day that there are 11 states where there are more people on welfare than there are working. If that is true, it is absolutely absurd.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Eh, seems to me about the only damage it will possibly do to the economy is by causing a panic. They should be making larger cuts, mainly in welfare and other entitlements. I heard somewhere the other day that there are 11 states where there are more people on welfare than there are working. If that is true, it is absolutely absurd.

Welfare needs to cease to exist as it is today. It is the number one reason many States are going under. Okay throw in government employee benefits too. :)

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You left out Several Thousand Federal worker bee for the VA, SS admin, (what few National Park employees here) FAA, US Marshals, DEA, Bureau of Prisons

If it goes throughwhen you factor in how many people work directly for or for a company directly related to the GOV it will make a splash in the economy

But their spending is NOT being cut. This is total BS. The budget is bigger than last year's for ALL departments as I understand it. The "cut" is only in the additional spending. Tell me why a company would lose workers if they are making more than they made last year? None of this makes sense. Sure, we are not spending more, so ADDING more government related jobs (in these areas) is unlikely, but how is that a bad thing?

Which is worse, hiring more workers with money you are borrowing from China, or not hiring, and not borrowing? I thought everyone agreed that the government needs to shrink, and that we passed sustainable borrowing thresholds a decade ago.

Obama and the senate setup all these cliffs by not producing a real budget or proposing any intelligent alternatives. What I see is absolutely disgusting lack of leadership. It is like we are on Titanic, everyone sees the iceberg 100 miles ahead, and the captain keeps saying "full steam aead". Dems ignore that we are out of money, and continue to try and GROW the government! Don't get me started on Obama care, I am fuming at the stupidity going on here.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    There will be a trivial impact on federal spending, but unfortunately I expect that Obama will use it to cut bone before cutting any of the fat. (click the image for more info)

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    There are a few direct hits you will feel. USDA is cutting 6000 inspectors which will cut supply in just about every food you buy. When it can't be inspected, food isn't produced therefore demand - and prices - go up.

Air traffic controllers also furloughed - could be some serious waiting at airports.

The worst of it is the DoD takes the biggest hit. No funding for training and deployment means your sons and daughters that are on deployment right now will stay on deployment (likely) until something changes.

NOA takes a hit too, weather satellites that were due to be replaced this year - past their service life - will not be replaced. Early warning systems and weather predictions over seas for battle plans fail - again military takes a higher risk.

There are rippling affects all over. It's a crime what they're doing to the military. Pay raises for the military were put on permanent hold. They don't make anything already, yet they help fund congress's inept performance of their jobs.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Much ado about nothing.:noway:
    This.

Didn't we go through this in December already?

These dire predictions wear thin... Especially coming from someone who is bringing it about through his own foolish spending, but wants us to force Congress to pull his fat out of the fire.

It is like we are on Titanic, everyone sees the iceberg 100 miles ahead, and the captain keeps saying "full steam aead".

The Titanic was an accident. That's the difference.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I just don't see why any of us would want to live in a world like that... I am thinking its seppuku time. How could I go on in a world where we have slowed the rate of growth in some government programs? Damn my fingers for even typing that.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    One last attempt to get this posted. Silly phone.

The DoD budget has already been cut from prior years.

2011: 687 B
    2012: 646 B
    2013: 614 B

Source: DoD Fiscal Year 2013 Budget Request, Overview, Figure 1-1, Page 7 of 147

The Sequester then cuts another $55 B. The problem is that the DoD budget is nowhere near 50% of the budget but is facing 50% of the Sequester. The cuts are disproportionate. There are other areas of federal spending that I would rather see hit with a "real" budget cut.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom