• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    has anyone owned or shot one? I'm curious how they hold up over time. Also, would it make a decent bear defense gun? I know it only holds 2+1 but it would be quite easy to fit in a pack

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I'm not sure how practical this would be. No bears in Indiana so if you're packing it, it's going to be out of state. Since this is an NFA AOW you'll have to apply to the ATF tp cross state lines with it. You might also run into various laws in different states with it. I realize that it's not actually a "sawed off shotgun" per Indiana law but you might get hassled about it and have to prove it is what it is and therefore legal in that jurisdiction.

How about a nice Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum or larger?

But anyway, I think the Serbu is pretty interesting. I'd like to have one but I think they are too pricey.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    My wife, HotPocket, has a Saftey Harbor KEG 12, very similar to the Serbu. They are excellent guns, she has the Remington 870 reciever, I have no doubt she will pass it on to our kids. They are a blast to shoot, very manageable even with 3" mag slugs. I shoot trap with it, you have to get them quick off the thrower because the shot spreads so fast, :):

I can't help with the bear defense, they are very easy to pack, but it won't do you much good in a pack if a bear is chewing on your shoulder. :runaway:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Since this is an NFA AOW you'll have to apply to the ATF tp cross state lines with it. You might also run into various laws in different states with it.

You don't need permission for AOW's or suppressors, you do need to make sure they are legal where you are going though :twocents:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I think they are awesome, and have wanted one for some time now. But God forbid I'm going toe to toe with a Bear, I think I'd want a Ruger Alaskan or maybe even a Glock 20 rather than a low capacity firearm that has a manually operated action. That said, I thankfully have no experience dealing with bears.

Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all the feedback! I typically carry my 1911 in the woods, but I'm pretty sure a 45 acp wouldn't do much to slow down a brown bear, it's more for 2 legged predators. A larger caliber revolver would be great, but it would mean not carrying my 1911. Hmm lots to consider. I'm glad to hear that they will hold up with use, though. That was one of my main concerns.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Have had a Serbu Super Shorty for a couple years. Major fun, has about 600 rounds through it no problems.

Mossberg action. Shot clays with it, have to get on them fast!

Highly recommend it, not really a carry gun, there are better choices.

Don

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    My Serbu has had a A LOT of rounds shot thru it. (Estimate a couple of thousand easily.)

Mark Serbu owes me commission on the number of Indiana purchases of the Shorty. When I brought it to NFA Day several years ago, I had no idea it would be so popular!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You're a bada$$. I don't like to shoot those outta my 870 supermag.:D

All about the "hold" with the OAW shotguns.

push/pull technique really mitigates the felt recoil.

You can even use a push/pull technique with a standard shotgun - to mitigate recoil. Why let the gun beat you up?

Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    I'm interested to look up proper push/pull technique when shooting something like this. Absorbing most of the recoil would be nice. Anyone have any recommendations as to where I can order one? Everything on gunbroker is well above msrp.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I'm interested to look up proper push/pull technique when shooting something like this. Absorbing most of the recoil would be nice. Anyone have any recommendations as to where I can order one? Everything on gunbroker is well above msrp.

Plainfield Shooter's Supply had one in stock a couple of weeks ago when I was in there. Sorry, I don't know what the price was.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    May also contact Beech Grove Firearms and Acme guns in Seymore. They're both NFA dealers and have sold SSS and/or KEGs in the past.

The push/pull technique is easy. Push "out" with your off hand, and pull back with your strong hand like you're trying to "stretch" the gun. Easy peasy.

Top Bottom