• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    I didn't even know what a FOID was. I had to look it up. What a bunch of crap! How is this not a violation of the 2nd amendment? According to the IL State Police site you have to have one just to own any firearm in IL? Soooooooo glad I live in IN.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    And for the record I wouldnt fault a store for refusing to allow the handling/operation of anything they know they wont be selling to that individual. I've seen plenty of car dealers take the attitude of "Yes, its a special car and no, you cant test drive it. If you want it you know you want it and test driving is not necessary." Granted each time it wasnt just ANY car but a limited edition sport version that would attract LOTS of tire kickers that just wanted to put in a few laps er I mean miles because it was cool.

Funny I sell cars and just the other day a guy came in asking to drive a Hellcat. I said no and his response was, you can't fault me for trying.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Just wait.... if HiLIARy gets elected, you'll have to give a urine, blood, and DNA sample just to be considered to buy musket balls for your flintlocks!!!!!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Former IL resident here. Traveled to several states on business trips. Couldn't hold or buy anything anyplace I went. One guy pretty much booted me out of his store. Nothing new.

I am Indiana resident now. Go back to IL to visit. Thought I would go pick up ammo on way home and couldn't without the F.O.I.D.

So much bull crap and no one knows what to do.

God bless Indiana. Hope no more legislation on our beloved firearms and the like.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    On a related note, I don't think we should sell anything to Chicago residents except birth control. If you support that system with your votes, taxes and/or labor, I wouldn't trust you with safety scissors.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Former IL resident here. Traveled to several states on business trips. Couldn't hold or buy anything anyplace I went. One guy pretty much booted me out of his store. Nothing new.

I am Indiana resident now. Go back to IL to visit. Thought I would go pick up ammo on way home and couldn't without the F.O.I.D.

So much bull crap and no one knows what to do.

God bless Indiana. Hope no more legislation on our beloved firearms and the like.

I have never heard anyone ever ask someone where they lived before the sale. Furthermore I have never had to show ID or been asked anything while buying ammo anywhere else.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    An FFL selling a long gun to someone from a bordering state is responsible for adhering to the laws of the buyer's state. An Indiana FFL is responsible for verifying that a buyer from IL has a valid FOID card as well as whatever ridiculous crap IL requires.

DougO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Kokomo
    The recent times that I have been to a CIG show I have been asked if I live in Indiana or Illinois. I am guessing you get either a different color hand stamp or Illinois folks do not get entry. Think I will ask at the one coming up here in Kokomo in a couple of weeks.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I think some of you might be missing the point here. I'm not talking about them actually buying a gun, all I am saying is they will not even let you see one without a void card that means nothing in Indiana. No lawsuits is coming from someone holding a rifle with a trigger lock on it unless the customer beats someone with it. There are also about 100 rifles just sitting out near the safes that you can just walk up and grab so..... Just politics it sounds like but still stupid

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think some of you might be missing the point here. I'm not talking about them actually buying a gun, all I am saying is they will not even let you see one without a void card that means nothing in Indiana. No lawsuits is coming from someone holding a rifle with a trigger lock on it unless the customer beats someone with it. There are also about 100 rifles just sitting out near the safes that you can just walk up and grab so..... Just politics it sounds like but still stupid
    If you can't legally buy the gun, why would they show it to you?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'm probably jsut stupid, but I guess i don't understand why a retailer in IN should apply Illiniois law in their IN location to someone who is just wanting to examine a product. If its legal to let someone from Indiana examine a rifle in an Indiana store, hwy shoudl they not allow an IL (or NY, or HI, MI or AK) residnet to examine it?

I must not get it. :)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    But is it illegal for an IL resident to fondle it? Thats the gist of Hough's "change of posession" comment as I read it.

In no way am I saying that the law requires that Cabelas to see a FOID card before allowing an Illinois resident to handle a gun in Indiana. What I am saying is that Illinois law requires a FOID for mere possession of a firearm by an Illinois resident in Illinois. Cabela's in Hammond is, obviously, not in Illinois, and it is within its rights to have a policy to not even let an Illinois resident handle a firearm because without a FOID, the person cannot legally buy it or possess it in Illinois.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    In no way am I saying that the law requires that Cabelas to see a FOID card before allowing an Illinois resident to handle a gun in Indiana. What I am saying is that Illinois law requires a FOID for mere possession of a firearm by an Illinois resident in Illinois. Cabela's in Hammond is, obviously, not in Illinois, and it is within its rights to have a policy to not even let an Illinois resident handle a firearm because without a FOID, the person cannot legally buy it or possess it in Illinois.

And I agree. They can make whatever policy they like; however, this one does not make sense to me.

I have asked to examine various rifles and handguns in that store, but don't recall ever being asked if I'm from Illionois ( or anywhere). Maybe I just look or sound like I must be a Hoosier? Granted, its probably been 12 to 18 months now so perhaps this is new?

Hmm, maybe I should do a road trip... :)

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I don't mind. During the craze, there were IL gun stores that wouldn't even let you in the door without a FOID.

Cabela's has always asked me if I was an IN resident.

Top Bottom