• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't like any kind of plastic holsters (just personal preference), but what's wrong with a good leather holster with a thumb break if you want retention?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't like any kind of plastic holsters (just personal preference), but what's wrong with a good leather holster with a thumb break if you want retention?

I am looking at a very nice one a friend dropped off to me a short bit ago. It is as you describe. I like it. I might trade that non-usable (to me) ALS and a case of beer for it.....:):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Depends on what you mean by retention. If it's to keep the gun from falling out, nothing wrong with that. If it's to increase the difficulty of someone taking your gun from the holster, it's not going to do much.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Are we talking about a duty holster ?

If so IMO the ALS style is nice most bad people wont get it out.

I do have a tip to share if someone goes for your primary weapon do not fight them for it use your secondary or BUG or stab them. The bad guy will focus on the weapon they are attempting to get this will probably give you a opportunity to employ the above mentioned back up weapons.

Note : You still may die in a violent encounter sometimes luck plays a big part in the outcome IME.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are we talking about a duty holster ?

If so IMO the ALS style is nice most bad people wont get it out.

I do have a tip to share if someone goes for your primary weapon do not fight them for it use your secondary or BUG or stab them. The bad guy will focus on the weapon they are attempting to get this will probably give you a opportunity to employ the above mentioned back up weapons.

Note : You still may die in a violent encounter sometimes luck plays a big part in the outcome IME.

Every tactic I have been shown relies on maintaining possession of your EDC. If it is a retention rig (regardless of brand) you have enough time to react.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    That’s the same thing I was taught for years CM.

Sometime in the 2000’s training I received changed, it kinda goes like this if the bad guy goes for your carbine draw your pistol and shoot him!
    The theory is that the bad guy will focus on the weapon that they are trying to fight over this will give you a window to use a secondary or back up or stab them. The issue with fighting over a weapon is it’s not safe for anyone and as you know most fights go to ground and chaos theory takes over.

Try it with “blue” guns it works!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Sometime in the 2000’s training I received changed, it kinda goes like this if the bad guy goes for your carbine draw your pistol and shoot him!
    The theory is that the bad guy will focus on the weapon that they are trying to fight over this will give you a window to use a secondary or back up or stab them. The issue with fighting over a weapon is it’s not safe for anyone and as you know most fights go to ground and chaos theory takes over.

I am sure it does.
    My motor response is to cover the bad guys hand as he struggles to pull the retained sidearm. This will further hinder his ability to pull it. As this is happening turn into the bad guy and un-ass him from his feet using your hip. or turn out and engage him directly. It depends on your stance at the start and your skills to move. I was always stronger turning in and un-assing. Takes some hands on. But I am not relinquishing my side arm. My Uncles would both spin in the grave. Goes against all they taught me.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    If I recall we used be taught to grab the wrist and push down and do the sweep thing or hip toss or head butt.

If it’s a loose weapon all bets are off biting a nose off or ear, gouging eyes, pulling hair, seems to work or so I have been told.
    People seem to lose motivation without a nose?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I recall we used be taught to grab the wrist and push down and do the sweep thing or hip toss or head butt.

If it’s a loose weapon all bets are off biting a nose off or ear, gouging eyes, pulling hair, seems to work or so I have been told.
    People seem to lose motivation without a nose?

I left out the fun parts. I fight dirty. If you can step back and find his foot, stand on it and you own him. Just have a decent ground game. I will bite off your ear if it is available.
    But I digress.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I left out the fun parts. I fight dirty. If you can step back and find his foot, stand on it and you own him. Just have a decent ground game. I will bite off your ear if it is available.
    But I digress.

I heard CM once kicked the Marques de Queensberry in the nads.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Depends on what you mean by retention. If it's to keep the gun from falling out, nothing wrong with that. If it's to increase the difficulty of someone taking your gun from the holster, it's not going to do much.

I'm primarily concerned with keeping it from falling out. That said, I only have a couple of holsters with active retention. One's for my snubbie, and one's for my Canik (CZ clone). Most often I use an open top, but with good passive retention. I usually carry semi-concealed (shirt or sweatshirt over the gun but not really "hidden").

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    But I digress.
    Little known fact, Vincent Van Gogh did NOT cut off his own ear, he and CM were drinkin’ and carousing, then they had a disagreement...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Always have a stabby, pokey thing. The SOC-P dagger is great for just such an occasion. They grab your weapon or you, you go poke, poke, poke, draw your sidearm(still retaining stabby pokey) and get to work.

Top Bottom