• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    holster!? I can't watch the video and not think...HOLY COW that security guard just plowed head long into 2 bad guys, one armed (the other eventually armed with the guards gun). That demonstrates a hugge pair.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Please do not confuse Bravery with Ignorance... :D
    I totally agree with that line of thinking but not having ANYTHING close to combat, security, or LEO training myself (it really doesn't get included into the dental school corriculum)...for all I know that is what he was trained to do. SO, I tried to coment without sounding like judgment. :D

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Try ripping that critter off, sometime. It's hard enough to get it off when you want it to come off, I don't see it coming off from an attack so long as your pants and belt hold up.

Agree!!! I have one and it is not easy to get it off in any way. Practically ave to take pants off to get the thing off.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I totally agree with that line of thinking but not having ANYTHING close to combat, security, or LEO training myself (it really doesn't get included into the dental school corriculum)...for all I know that is what he was trained to do. SO, I tried to coment without sounding like judgment. :D

If the guard had any training, it wasn't obvious in the video clip.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

LOL...
    I have not been able to watch the Video of this here. The camel is moving to much and is affecting the download speeds pretty badly tonight... :D

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I carry my Glock 26 OWB with a Blackhawk Serpa kydex holster. It has the single digit retention device. When used properly, the finger comes naturally to the safe position when drawing the weapon. It is perfectly designed for this purpose. Also, I do not use the large pad that came with the holster. I use the belt loops, and adjust the loops to fit my belt snugly. I can OC with this holster, or CC by use of a coat or jacket.

I carry IWB with a Galco Summer Comfort. It has two belt loops which work fairly well for me. It does not have a retention device of any kind. I use this when concealment is important.

When I cannot risk being outed, I carry a Taurus 709 Slim in a Tuckable holster. It, too, has no retention device.

I find that a detention device on a leather holster is counter productive. I cannot execute a quick draw from a belt-mounted leather holster unless I have a belt only a 300lb biker would love or have the belt drawn so tight my belly button thinks its a sphincter. If I want quick draw, I use the Blackhawk.

All three work well for me, but I am a civilian and carry only for self protection. I do not anticipate engaging two BGs as the guard did in the OP video, although I am aware I may be forced to it some day.

My conclusion is that it is impossible to guarantee that I can overcome in every situation. I will not be able to outdraw a BG with a leather holster no matter how much I train, and it gets worse if I use a retention strap. I will be able to draw quicker from the Blackhawk Serpa than from a Galco Summer Comfort or a tuckable, but even this will not guarantee I can outdraw a BG. Therefore, I need to carry based on what I expect the situation to be. Gains in concealment sacrifice speed of access. The key issue then becomes what happens when I do get the weapon into action. I need to guarantee that I hit my target with my first shot, my second shot, and my third shot, etc. If I can do this, there is a good chance I will take the BG out with me and protect my wife and kids from harm.

My best option, though, is to draw stealthily and take out the BG before he can bring his weapon to bear. This will leave me in the wonderful position of being judged by twelve rather than carried by six.

So, what do I really want to accomplish if forced to draw and fire?
    1. Protect the wife and kids.
    2. Take out the BG.
    3. Survive.

If I can accomplish this, I will be satisfied.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If they had wanted to shoot the guard they would have. They had ample opportunity. They even shot the door. The holster had nothing to do with it, other than failing by being yanked off entirely (unless we assume operator error in not securing the holster properly to begin wth), so now the perps also have the guard's pistol (and don't worry, they'll get it out of the holster - it's not rocket science).

Top Bottom