• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I dont have a problem with a partially serrated edge on my folders but my fixed blades I like plain edged. For the little that I use the serrations I dont care about the argument of them being a pain to sharpen since in the years I have carried serrated knives I have never used them enough to need to sharpen them. Its just up to what you need.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    One of the two knives I carry everyday is a partially serrated Spyderco Manix 2. I like it for the utility purpose, helping cut carpet for samples, helping go through drywall when I leave the Dead On elsewhere. I do like it, but it is not the best slicer. That is what a plain edge is for for me. A combo edge or serrated knife does have merit in a "utility" application.

Take that as you will, your mileage may vary.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Well, I guess I'm stupid, lazy & I suck... I like partially serrated blades. A CRKT part-serrated saved my butt one time when a horse was involved.

With the hours I work and other stuff going on, knife sharpening is low on my list, unfortunately. And, FWIW, I usually only clean my guns about twice a year.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Most of mine are plain (Spyderco Delicas/Enduras) Matter of fact, I can't remember the last fully serrated blade I had.

Plain is easier to keep sharp, and 5 minutes or so with the Spydie Sharpmaker and it'll cut through just about anything like butter.

I wouldn't feel bad or somehow under-knifed if it was a full serrated Delica/Endura in my pocket though.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I like whatever edge the customer wants!! :D

But seriously...I use standard edge (plain) knives myself. Like tyler34 says...if you keep a good edge on your blade... it's just as effective.:twocents:

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Just bought a new leatherman knife through US Cavalry. They gave me the choice of plain or serrated and of course I chose plain. It's the only way to get a good edge that you can resharpen. The blade quality is excellent, and unlike many of my knives it came with an almost razor edge. The pocket clip, however, is junk. It's not spring steel, and is already streched out after < 2weeks.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've learned quite a bit about knives in the past few years. Rhino and I were discussing this very thing. I agreed with him that partially serrated knives just had too much blade length given up to the serrations. The best option was to buy a plain edge knife and then cut 2-3 serration yourself with a small round or triangle file.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I not only prefer plain edges, I will go on to say I hate partially serrated edge blades
    I have had a few in the past for everyday use . Like slow said the serrations take up too much of the blade and unless you are cutting rope or cardboard ALL the time they are just not useful.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    On a folder I like a plain edge but on a fixed I like a partially serated blade.

Not a lot of seration but a little is fine with me. ;)

Top Bottom