• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmmonts76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Indy
    Just need to vent. I live in a condo in Indy with about a 3 acre pound out my back sliding door (about 10 yards out my back door). The area is posted Private Property Residential Fishing Only. I have had a couple of guys back there fishing a few times and let it slide, but yesterday I wasn't in the mood because they were being loud and I wanted my privacy.

There were three of them. One man was about 40 and had his son that was probably 16 and another kid that must have been the son’s friend. I went outside and asked if they lived in the area and they said no. So I let them know they couldn't fish there and that it was fishing for residents only. They didn't like that and let me know that they knew the property manager and some other bull that didn't even matter. I once again let them know that it was clearly marked for resident fishing only. So he threatened to call someone (I have no clue who this person was or what they thought this person could do) so I threatened to call the cops. Well he made the call, so I was forced to make my call (would have much rather not called the cops). At this point they are becoming more and more mouthy, especially the young son. Then they start playing the "race card" and complaining that I was calling the cops because they were black. I just kept my cool and waited on the cops to get there and handle the situation.

After about 10 minutes a cop car pulls out front. This cop was worthless. He never even got out of his car. I was barely able to talk to him because the three of them swarmed his car. The cop didn't ask who had called this in. The cop didn't get anyone’s name. He did however ask them to not fish there. He was there for about 2 minutes and drove off leaving everyone there at the front of my condo. Everyone was still yelling at everyone as he is driving off. Anyone could see that this was a situation that could easily get out of hand.

At this point they start threatening me and my fiancé. I probably wasn't as calm and collective as I should have been after the cop left and realized I wasn't getting any help from those that serve and protect. The son's friend began to reach into his saggy pants but thankfully didn't reach all the way, because I'm pretty sure I would have beaten him to the draw. Luckily the man's wife showed up and had some sense. She convinced them they needed to leave. However, they assured us they would be back and that "snitches get stitches".

So now I'm just waiting for something to happen to our property or vehicles. Luckily we have a security system on the condo. What sucks is that I'm pretty sure they will be back. After they left I called the cops back to file harassment charges so that something was on file. We got the license plate of their vehicle (it appeared the vehicle was for his electrical business). So the same cop called us back and let us know he would be there tomorrow (another pathetic example of this cop). Luckily they didn't return last night.

We are planning on leaving town for the holiday and it worries me that I won't be able to look after my place. Not really sure what other steps I should take from here. Especially when I don't feel that the police are of much assistance. I would greatly appreciate any advice to help calm our nerves.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Get someone to babysit your apartment while you are on vacation.

Might look for security cameras outside your apartment as well. Be sure to cover your sliding door and front door.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    He probably had a Cop Groupie waiting for him outside the coffee shop. All you can do is be vigilant and live your life. At least you got the plates and business name. Good luck...

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Don't worry about your stuff. It's just stuff. Just keep yourself and your lady safe and sound and everything else will work out. :thumbsup: Good luck!

Also, I don't know where this "protect and serve" stuff started. It's entirely unreasonable though. Police can't be everywhere at once, and it's not their job to settle disputes.

Until a crime is committed, we're on our own. Even during the comission of a crime we're on our own. It is the job of police to investigate and arrest.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Until a crime is committed, we're on our own. Even during the comission of a crime we're on our own. It is the job of police to investigate and arrest.

Sometimes we forget the police are a reactionary force. Even with attempts at proactivity the fact remains: Police cannot be everywhere at once.

Good luck! I hope the individuals involved were just running their mouth for show as is often the case.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Just what did you expect the cop to do. Run them off? It's private property. It would be a grey area that you even have the right to do so Since it is legally community property. Actually, you could have called a Conservation Officer. Since a cop does not do fishing licenses etc. Conservation has much more authority when it comes to fish and game.The pond is on private property. It's a civil dispute. The least I would have done is call the property manager and let it be. The noise is just part of community living in my opinion.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    My brothers apartment complex has a Sheriff that lives there and apparently lives there for cheap or free because he is on call after hours...... if people are being to loud or are doing things they would not be he shows up rather quickly.......

This kind of stuff I am sure happens all the time and I am sure the cops love runing people off who are fishing, you filed a complaint and that is good, even though the cop left he did take the time to call back.... since you filed the complaint then next time things may happen, When you call though I would mention the complaint. Chances are the will not show up again because they don't want to have to deal with you or the cops. If it was me I would not worry about it but would maybe mention something to your neighbors for when you are gone.

Again in all fairness it is private property that you do not own or run and he did tell them to leave..... and like said above when you live close to others you have to put up with stuff from time to time...... I get to deal with kids climbing my fence (looks like they stoped) and tearing it down and walking threw my yard to get to their buddies.......

bmmonts76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Indy
    Just what did you expect the cop to do. Run them off? It's private property. It would be a grey area that you even have the right to do so Since it is legally community property. Actually, you could have called a Conservation Officer. Since a cop does not do fishing licenses etc. Conservation has much more authority when it comes to fish and game.The pond is on private property. It's a civil dispute. The least I would have done is call the property manager and let it be. The noise is just part of community living in my opinion.

That is great advice. I probably should have taken that step. I will have that number ready for the next time. They were also keeping their fish and it is also clearly marked catch and release. Would it do any good to call a Conservation Officer at this point since I do have their plates?

As far as the officer doing his job...I don't disagree. He did the bear minimum he probably needed to do and there were probably more important places to be. It's just frustrating because this situation could have easily become violent (guns were almost drawn at one point) and it sucks that someone has to get hurt before they can do anything.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Don't worry about your stuff. It's just stuff. Just keep yourself and your lady safe and sound and everything else will work out. :thumbsup: Good luck!

Also, I don't know where this "protect and serve" stuff started. It's entirely unreasonable though. Police can't be everywhere at once, and it's not their job to settle disputes.

Absolutely agree, minus one point ( in the OP's instance): These fine folks were trespassing and "stealing" fish from the residents (stocked pond, right?), and the LEO didn't even run them off. If I see someone breaking the law, and call the police, I DO expect them to take it seriously. If this had been any other misdemeanor (petty theft, vandalism, etc...), should it be treated the same?

To the OP: call the your property manager and complain. Let them know how upset you are that THEIR community has these problems. Call the local precinct and complain. Call the DNR and ask about folks illegally taking fish w/o a license, and see if they would be willing to have an officer swing by for a license check when these fine folks are fishing again.

You got the name and number for the business van they were in? Are the trespassers the owners or employees? If employees, call up and inform the owner that the van was trespassing. If they are the owners, call the BBB with the same complaint.

Bah! I hope you enjoy your holiday weekend, anyway!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    That's the price of freedom. Can't restrain someone until they committ a crime, unless we get those pre-cogs like in Minority Report and Tom Cruise can arrest people just before they murder someone.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    We don't know that they were tresspassing. What if they had explicit permission to be on the property and keep the fish?

If you had premission to fish on a private lake and keep the fish, wouldn't you be pissed if someone called the cops on you?

Just playin' devils advocate.

BTW, I don't like rowdy people who don't follow good coservation either.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    That is great advice. I probably should have taken that step. I will have that number ready for the next time. They were also keeping their fish and it is also clearly marked catch and release. Would it do any good to call a Conservation Officer at this point since I do have their plates?

As far as the officer doing his job...I don't disagree. He did the bear minimum he probably needed to do and there were probably more important places to be. It's just frustrating because this situation could have easily become violent (guns were almost drawn at one point) and it sucks that someone has to get hurt before they can do anything.

?????"GUNS WERE ALMOST DRAWN AT ONE POINT"??????

I think you should go lock all your guns up and re-evaluate wether or not you should continue to carry a gun. If I had permission to fish private property and some guy came out trying to run me off I would tell you to go #@$^ yourself too. If you had an issue you should have stayed in the safety of your condo and called the property manager to handle. In turn this would have kept your identity hidden and you wouldnt be worried about watching your back or having your condo broken in.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    When you file your harassment report, make sure to reference the call number for the initial visit by the police officer. Get his call notes and see what he entered in concerning the dispatch. Also, have the property manager trespass the three if they come back (assuming they do), in the presence of the officer. Then if they make a third visit, they can be arrested for trespassing. But ElDirect has some great ideas...or you could just let it lay and call it quits. But be vigilant.

bmmonts76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Indy
    ?????"GUNS WERE ALMOST DRAWN AT ONE POINT"??????

I think you should go lock all your guns up and re-evaluate wether or not you should continue to carry a gun. If I had permission to fish private property and some guy came out trying to run me off I would tell you to go #@$^ yourself too. If you had an issue you should have stayed in the safety of your condo and called the property manager to handle. In turn this would have kept your identity hidden and you wouldnt be worried about watching your back or having your condo broken in.

You need to read my first post again. I had no intention of pulling a gun and did not want to pull a gun. Only when the kid made some deliberate
    movement as if he was going to pull one on me did I start to think about it.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    I would get a motion detector light in the front and back. You would be surprised how much a light would make people think twice.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    You need to read my first post again. I had no intention of pulling a gun and did not want to pull a gun. Only when the kid made some deliberate

yeah i understand what you were saying before. I think you were right. If some punk ass thug or anyone was fooling around in their baggy pockets during an argument I would tell them to keep their hands where I could see them. I (like you) wouldnt have pulled my pistol, but it would be a split second away if i needed to (only if i saw a weapon).

I live in a home ownners association community too and our management company is WORTHLESS!!! I dont blame you for chasing them away yourself. The management company most times doesnt even own the property, they just oversee it, so i fail to see how they would have the right to give anyone else the right to fish the property, if they didnt own the property. next time they show up i would deffinatly call the conservation officer to come do a license check. while i dont agree with hunting or fishing licenses, or conservations methods sometimes, it is a useful way to get rid of unwanted pest. If they dont have fishing licenses i can assure you that the CO will BONE them, BIG TIME, and enjoy doing it too. (just for the record: even though i dont agree with licenses, i still have them to obey the kings laws)

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground

I read you first post and everyone elses before posting mine. I can understand being upset if they were tresspassing and being loud. But had you not been carrying a gun would you of still gone outside and confront three men for fishing? Would you have stayed outside and continue to arguee with them the moment you were told to get bent if you didnt have your gun? I just dont see the point in getting that upset and putting yourself in harms way over community property.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom