Service Grade Winchester M1s available for mail order through the CMP...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Okay, so I've unboxed my win. (yes, no pics yet I'll work on that) Produced in Sept of 42 by the ser. no. It has new walnut furniture that is real pretty. Yes it's a mix master with probably win parts besides the receiver only being the gas tube and the but plate (need to do a full disassembly to be sure) but I am happy with it. The day mine shipped they went sold out so I feel lucky to get her.

Can't wait to take my dad to the range and show it to him. Introducing a trusted old friend as it were.

Muzzle reading is 1+ Throat reading is 2. I've cleaned it, oiled and greased it, used a coat of boiled linseed oil then rubbed it down with carnauba wax. Really a nice looking piece of walnut.

Last edited:

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Some folks don't like those CMP stocks. I think they have lots of potential. I was surprised that they didn't sell out more quickly. I'm glad you got a nice one. Congratulations!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just took mine to the range for a function check. 4 clips of old Iranian ammo. From 100yds I got 2 3" 4 shot groups (didn't wear my prescriptions), then the sun came out and where I shoot the 100yd bench is in the sunlight and the target is in deep shade. Next 2 groups were 6". Still, kill you dead good war fighting accuracy.

I have a Win Mod 70 in -06 and I have to say that this is a much more pleasant weapon to shoot which I guess is a good thing if you need to shoot it all day long.

Glad to add another battle rifle to the mix. Now I need to get my dad to the range again.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Went back and checked my order, 1970's Korean production, corrosive. Pretty sure it was not in the description when I bought it or I wouldn't have.:( Guess I'll set that aside until Ragnarok. Time to order more ammo. :)

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    I wait and see what the Indy 1500 show brings you. There are a couple dealers out there that have the Greek and Lake city stuff for sale.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Did a little headstamp research as opposed to what the retailer said...turns out it's FN 1960 production; probably by way of Korean stockpiles. FN switched to non-corrosive primers in late 1957 so all later dated ammo is non-corrosive.

Too bad I placed an order for another 300 rounds yesterday...win/win! :rockwoot:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I found a CMP collector grade Garand back around 2010 or 2011. Built in 1954, it still had the cosmolene in the barrel when I got it. Lucky find then. Pretty scarce anymore.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I found a CMP collector grade Garand back around 2010 or 2011. Built in 1954, it still had the cosmolene in the barrel when I got it. Lucky find then. Pretty scarce anymore.

Right now, the CMP South Store is selling post war SA and HRA collector grades for $2000. They also have some WWII correct grade rifles for $3000. I got to 'coon finger' both grades at the North Store back in March. The WWII corrects were pretty cool with their original 'in the white' barrels, crisp stock cartouches and lock bar sights. Sadly, they are also far out of my price range.

PedalToTheFloor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2016
    Goshen, Indiana
    Right now, the CMP South Store is selling post war SA and HRA collector grades for $2000. They also have some WWII correct grade rifles for $3000. I got to 'coon finger' both grades at the North Store back in March. The WWII corrects were pretty cool with their original 'in the white' barrels, crisp stock cartouches and lock bar sights. Sadly, they are also far out of my price range.

I'm not exactly sure what constitutes "coon finger" ;) , but I believe I did the same thing to the collector grades at the North Store a couple months ago. Some damn nice rifles that are probably out of my price range.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Did a little headstamp research as opposed to what the retailer said...turns out it's FN 1960 production; probably by way of Korean stockpiles. FN switched to non-corrosive primers in late 1957 so all later dated ammo is non-corrosive.

Too bad I placed an order for another 300 rounds yesterday...win/win! :rockwoot:

I would STILL treat that ammo as corrosive. China and Korea have been known to COPY other countries headstamps. For instance, the ONLY corrosive M-1 carbine ammo on the market is headstamped "LC" which SHOULD be Lake City, but is in fact Corrosive Chinese copies. The giveaway is that it is berdan primed, and comes in tan boxes with purple lettering & without US military markings.

Top Bottom