• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Working it into dedicated turkey gun, where to start. It has a green bead and I have been successful at rabbit hunting with it.
    1) stock full choke vs, Indian Creek .555
    2) stock sight vs vent rib micro
    3) stock grey/black vs camp paint job

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I would say most of that falls in personal preference.

1. I have better luck with aftermarket chokes, but you can make stock ones work just fine. Just try some different loads and see what patterns the best at about 30-40 yds, or further if you like.

2. I'm blind as bat, so I use a red dot on mine. You want something you're comfortable with and can find your target quickly and accurately.

3. Camo is probably the best option, I would say most people prefer/use camo for a dedicated turkey gun. That being said, I take several youths out every year, and we use a plain jane wood stock, blued barrel Mossberg with no issues. Turkeys catch your movement, not necessarily colors.

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    I would say most of that falls in personal preference.

1. I have better luck with aftermarket chokes, but you can make stock ones work just fine. Just try some different loads and see what patterns the best at about 30-40 yds, or further if you like.

2. I'm blind as bat, so I use a red dot on mine. You want something you're comfortable with and can find your target quickly and accurately.

3. Camo is probably the best option, I would say most people prefer/use camo for a dedicated turkey gun. That being said, I take several youths out every year, and we use a plain jane wood stock, blued barrel Mossberg with no issues. Turkeys catch your movement, not necessarily colors.
    +1 for the red dot! You definitely don’t “need” it, but if you can afford a halfway decent one they are worth the investment. We can find ourselves in some real awkward shooting positions turkey hunting, and the dot has made target acquisition so much easier.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Thank for those that replied for knowing I was seeking advice. My plan going forward is a work in progress.
    1) this year choke tube
    2) next season or post season vent rib mounted sight

Have been turkey hunting for the last 6 years, no bird yet, but lots of learning encounters. Was taking the slack off the trigger last year before I got busted.

Top Bottom