• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So I have several questions, but rather than making multiple threads I thought it better to ask them all here. I am at the tail end of purchasing my first nice knife. I have it narrowed down to either a customized Benchmade Griptillain or a Lion Steel SR-1a.

This brings me to my first question... What do you guys think of these two knives? I have read/watched several reviews on them and they both seem very solid. This blade will be my EDC so most of its use will be on packaging, tape. cardboard, etc . It won't have a very hard life.

Secondly as this is my first real knife I don't know much about sharpening. Are there any good resources you would suggest I look at? Also does the level of difficulty in sharpening D2 and S30V vary?

Lastly, are there any good knife stores in or around Indianapolis? I would like to be able to hold these blades before I decide, but the only place I know with a large knife selection is Smoky Mountain Knife Works... And that is a little far away.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Both of the knives you first mentioned are very good quality, and I would highly recommend.

D2 is going to be much harder to sharpen than S30V. The payoff is it will hold it's edge longer. D2 is a tool steel, where as S30V is stainless. Both are great for knives.

As far ash shopping for a new knife, you should go to the Indy 1500. Brad will have a booth set up with some very nice stuff.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    There are a lot of different methods for sharpening. Some find one way easier, some another. Most of them take some practice to get the technique down. If you ask ten knife guys how to sharpen a blade, you'll probably get six different answers.

A lot of people swear by the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I have that kit, and I just couldn't seem to get my knives sharp with it. I don't know what my problem is with it, but I just couldn't get it to work for me.

I personally prefer sharpening freehand with stones. It takes longer than some other methods, but I like spending quality time with my knives. Plus, I feel it's a skill everyone should have. If you go with stones, get coarse, medium and fine to start. With these and some time you can put an arm-shaving edge on just about any blade.

And yeah, the longer a knife will hold an edge, the longer it will take to sharpen it.

As far as the knives you listed, I've got a couple Benchmade fixed blades that I really like - a 180 Outbounder in 440C and a 375 Adamas in D2. A friend of mine has a Griptilian, and I've used it a few times. it's a good knife. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the SR-1A, though I've read good opinions.

Last edited:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Both are great choices! I like the style of the lion steel better, but the BM is a solid knife.

Sharp maker is usually easiest. Wicked edge is great but spendy. Whetstones take a ton of practice to get consistent results.

Go to the 1500 or shop Knifecenter.com. Brad can get you just about anything that Knifecenter may have. Mostly.

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    ...I personally prefer sharpening freehand with stones...

This is what I would like to do. However I am having trouble finding a guide that starts off assuming you know nothing and takes you from there. I have watched/read several guides, but they all are making assumptions that I am missing.

I guess I'll just have to keep looking, maybe wait until the next 1500 and talk to some people in person.

Top Bottom