• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I arrived Tuesday morning at the Airport for my outbound flight for work. I was cutting it a little close on time with about 40 min before my flight was scheduled to leave. I approach security and nobody was in line. I'm thinking this is gonna be a breeze. I remove my belt, shoes and anything from my pockets and put in a bin. Liquids are out and in a bin. My suite case and Power Bag backpack go onto the belt headed to be x-rayed. I have it down to an art as I do it all the time. I'm thinking to myself "I'm an expert and could teach some of theses rookies that don't fly often enough to be up on the protocol how to keep the flow moving instead of causing a bottleneck.

The TSA agent ask me if this is my backpack? I look around and since I'm all alone I say yes as I'm thinking it was kind of a silly question, but I'm sure they had to ask to verify positive ID.

They ask if they can look into the bag. I say "absolutely, what ever it takes to keep us all safe"
    The TSA agent asked if I have any sharp or dangerous items in the bag. "I reply no nothing that I'm aware of"
    She pretty much dissects the bag and then takes it back to the x-ray machine to run through again.
    At this point two TSA agents are looking at the monitor and one of them says that there appears to be a razor knife in the bag. I tell them that it is a Power Bag with a built in 6000 MAH battery and wired to charge devices while stored in the bag. She asked if I have traveled with the bag before. I assure her that it has been through security at least 50 times.

It comes back to the table and manually searched again by one of the two TSA agents. She still doesn't find anything and calls the supervisor over to assist. She tells me that she will go to the gate and have them hold the flight for me while the supervisor and second TSA agent look at the bag under the x-ray for the third time. The first TSA agent is back from the gate and tells me that I have five to ten minutes before they are shutting the door to the plane.

I tell them that missing the flight isn't a big deal. I can take a later flight if necessary because I just getting to the destination that evening for a (flexible on time) meeting the following day.

The now three TSA agents, including the supervisor decide that bag is good to go. I zip everything up and head to the gate and board the plane. They close the door and I'm off to my destination. Met with customers on Wednesday, then this morning I reach in my backpack to get my driving glasses to use for the two hour drive to the next customer and this is what I pull from my backpack.

The magazine for my Shield 40 with the single stack mag pouch. Notice that it is loaded with seven (did I say SEVEN) Hollow Point bullets. My eyeballs just about popped out of my head and I was freaking out thinking about the what if's. Thinking that I could have had the ole latex glove exam or thrown in the poky thoughts circled my head. Then I thought WOW just how safe are we? I also went back to the I'm such a pro at the going through security patting myself on the back thoughts. Maybe I'm not quite as good as I think I am. Holy Crap that could have went so bad!

I took the bullets out of the mag, gave them to a customer and had the Mag boxed up and shipped home to my house. I get home tomorrow and the mag will be there Monday.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    So your bag got an extreme level of scrutiny and they didn't notice a fully loaded magazine?

Yeah... TSA is serving it's purpose.

The full body scanner thought I had something concealed around my ankles - nothing there - they insisted I had something hidden so I asked them if they wanted to pull my pants up or if they wanted me to take them off.

They pulled up my pant legs and acted baffled when they found nothing.

They then said, 'The machine thought you had something hidden there...' I thought to myself, 'You mean a MACHINE is making these decisions?'

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I know of a guy who went from O'Hare to Hawaii. When he got to the hotel room at his destination he was going through his carry on bag and found a loaded NAA mini revolver. What to do? throw in the ocean? Nope. Mailed back in two pieces.

By God they did have to search my bag on the way home from Denver only to find a cool little backpacking candle lantern I bought.

TSA is just another worthless government organization. Probably created to give people with no other skills a job. They have never stopped one act of terrorism that I am aware of.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was about to go all INGO on them, I guess they did see something!

Yea but not a razor knife. It was just lying in the bottom of one of the zip compartments. The metal mag must have blocked them from seeing the bullets. In their defense the first picture is how it was in the bag. Unless you know what to look for you might not know it was gun related.

They were more concerned about me making my flight then being safe. I'm sure they get crap from people all the time.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I know of a guy who went from O'Hare to Hawaii. When he got to the hotel room at his destination he was going through his carry on bag and found a loaded NAA mini revolver. What to do? throw in the ocean? Nope. Mailed back in two pieces.

By God they did have to search my bag on the way home from Denver only to find a cool little backpacking candle lantern I bought.

TSA is just another worthless government organization. Probably created to give people with no other skills a job. They have never stopped one act of terrorism that I am aware of.

Didn't they catch that awesome, normal looking Shoe Bomber?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was at a Sales Meeting in Texas last June and the hotel we stayed at had a Bass Pro attached. Gotta love those kind of fringe benefits. I was looking for the elusive 25 round mags for the Mossberg 715 AR .22 Rifles. They were going for $50-$75 each on ebay but Bass Pro had four of them on the shelf for $24.95. I bought three of them. Two for me and one for my Youth Pastor.

They are mostly plastic with a metal spring and new in the package so I threw them in my carry-on suite case. TSA had a fit and said that they used to arrest people for having gun magazines in their carry-on bags. Before I knew what I was doing I said "They must have figured out that it wasn't against the law" He just gave me a look and I decided to calm down. I told him that I would just check my bag.

I went and checked my bag and had to go back through security. I expected the shake down but nope nada. I just smiled and went through with out any issues.

You know what? I'm starting to see a pattern with magazines and me flying now that I think about it. :dunno:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Nope. He was already on the plane in flight when something was suspicious. But then it appears that flight originated in Europe.

2001 shoe bomb plot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have to agree with you about no evidence that the TSA has stopped a Terrorist Attack.

Bruce Schneier stated, "TSA has never caught a terrorist". It's not about security, but about "security theater" designed to give the appearance of security.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    It's been a few years ago, but after 9/11. I was on my way back from South America and when I got home to unpack I discovered 3 small size picket knives stuffed into my front pouch on my checked luggage. The only problem was that the knives were not mine; I've never seen them before. My working partner put 2 cartons of cigarettes in his checked luggage, which didn't make it back to the states.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I know someone who had...an electronic device...in her purse when she went to fly somewhere and they thought it was a bomb.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I know someone who had...an electronic device...in her purse when she went to fly somewhere and they thought it was a bomb.

**Cough** **cough** in her purse huh? I'd think you'd want that in your checked baggage............... At least when it was 'found' if it were in checked it wouldn't be public.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It's possible that this was done intentionally by her husband as they've had a prank war going on for some time.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    They miss that but detain me for further search because I had a half bottle of water in my coat pocket. Water I bought at the airport and forgot I stuffed in my pocket. "SIR!!! This is contraband!!! We need to investigate your carry-on" wtf.

Top Bottom