• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The one in '87 seemed stronger to me, even though they are saying this one is. I wish I'd have been standing up for this one for a better comparison.

The one in 1987 happened the week before I left for California in August of that year. I also remember it being stronger than what we felt this morning. Perhaps the epicenter was closer ... wasn't it around Vincennes?

In any case, I was awakened this morning by the rumbling, thunder-like noise. Then I felt the shaking. My first thought was thunder or wind, but I looked outside and . . . nada. Then I realized is was an earthquake. We haven't had one for a few years, so it's almost cool when we do (at least when no one gets hurt).

I was living just a few yards from Oakland, California when the "big one" hit in October of 1989. That little scenario was complete chaos after people realized the Bay Bridge and several two-layer freeways had collapsed. Quite a few people were killed when they were crushed by the upper level of 880 when it fell.

I was in my apartment at the time. Curiously, had I still be in school, I would have been on that stretch of 880 on the lower side (southbound) at pretty much the time it happened (just after five pm).

When I realized how bad it was, I made a trip to the grocery store and bought a bunch of bottled water and canned stuff (ravioli is your friend!). Had the local rubes known how bad it would get over the next few days, it would have been mayhem in that corner market, but they were slow on the uptake.

Top Bottom