• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    im not a bad shot to say the least. i've seen better and have deffenently seen worse.

but i was just hoping that some of you all out there can give me some food for thought. as the title says shakey hands and guns.. i have very good times when i go shooting. i am very accurate with my g23 and i love to shoot it every chance i get. but like i said, i have those times when my hands start to twitch around and i place the cause to either me being a type 1 diabetic, or that fact that i also have rheumatoid arthritis. among other things....

just wanting some advice on if maybe a thinner grip would help the situation "thus being able to wrap my hand all the way around the gun" like a fullsize single stack 1911 of some sort or something along the lines of that or am i just properly boned...

*warning contents of this thread may result in a trade for a very nice g23!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have Osteo arthrits and have some of the same issues. Had to have my left thumb fused last year to releive the pain. I've found that on ocasion I do better by bending at the elbows and some what bracing my triceps in my sides and ribcage, this allwos my elbows to act like hinges for the recoil and I don't get real tired and don't start shaking as soon. I also sometimes wear Bicycle gloves these have padding in the palm area and help absorb recoil and my hands don't hurt as much when I'm done shooting. I shoot every thing from .22 up to 45acp. Double and single stack and fo me it dose not matter which I still hurt and shake. The only other thing you may try if it's in the budget is to find a nother gun that feels better in your hand. Good Luck!

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    thanks alot! im going to try what you said. i have actually thought about that but between my doc appts its been hard to get a chance to go to my stomping grounds... i was actually thinking that maybe the a 1911 style single stack framed pistol would be a route to go as being easy for my hand to wrap around(less back strap to palm ratio i would guess) but still just not sure.

any thoughts anyone?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Don't think it's going to matter. Any grip advantage will be negated by the weight increase of a 1911. I have similar issues with the shakiness and also OA, but I will eat something before going shooting and will always have food with me as a precaution. For me I have found nothing to stop the shakes/trembles/quakes. I'm not too bad, though. Seen a lot worse. My biggest problems are shoulders start to get sore and knees/ankles don't want to cooperate.

With all the medical advancements we have made, you would think there would be a cure that's readily accessible to everyone.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Cut down on caffeine. My right arm and hand has nerve damage from a spider bite that happen in the 80's. I was speaking with my doctor about the shaking several years ago and he told me cut down on the caffeine. I do notice a difference. I went from 10 or more cups of coffee a day to 2 cups just in the morning.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I am a caffeine addict. To date, I don't know what it feels like to not hold a shaking (to some degree) gun. Every target I've ever hit is the product of shaking hands and eye protection that's not my prescription glasses... I bet if I wore my real glasses and took Dogman's advice about cutting caffeine, I'd be a good shot! (Except whenever I've tried the "no caffeine" route, I've gotten blinding headaches...like I said; "addict".)

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Ha! Caffeine free here. And still shake. Like I said earlier not as bad as others. BUT, caffeine did make me worse when I was addicted to it. Blinding headaches? Oh yeah, about 2 weeks worth of them until my body readjusted. Guess I figured since he was diabetic that caffeine wasn't the issue since it's usually associated with soda (which I had to give up).

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    Ha! Caffeine free here. And still shake. Like I said earlier not as bad as others. BUT, caffeine did make me worse when I was addicted to it. Blinding headaches? Oh yeah, about 2 weeks worth of them until my body readjusted. Guess I figured since he was diabetic that caffeine wasn't the issue since it's usually associated with soda (which I had to give up).

you absolutely right. i might have 1 can of diet mt. dew a day and can go weeks on water alone. never really had the issue of caffeine making my hands shake... but i've been under enough stress to make my eye lid twitch... really getting some good advice here guys keep it up and thank you all.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    im not a bad shot to say the least. i've seen better and have deffenently seen worse.

but i was just hoping that some of you all out there can give me some food for thought. as the title says shakey hands and guns.. i have very good times when i go shooting. i am very accurate with my g23 and i love to shoot it every chance i get. but like i said, i have those times when my hands start to twitch around and i place the cause to either me being a type 1 diabetic, or that fact that i also have rheumatoid arthritis. among other things....

just wanting some advice on if maybe a thinner grip would help the situation "thus being able to wrap my hand all the way around the gun" like a fullsize single stack 1911 of some sort or something along the lines of that or am i just properly boned...

*warning contents of this thread may result in a trade for a very nice g23!

I'm in your boat...I have RA and Lupus...and when I get very tired...I have more trouble with control.

I try to only shoot when I am well rested. And I don't shoot for long periods of time. I may shoot....take a break....then shoot again.

I did find that the larger backstrap on my MP really helped me a great deal with my accuracy and my low right issue (southpaw).

I also don't expect myself to be nearly as accurate as I was when I was a young buck. ;)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am a caffeine addict. To date, I don't know what it feels like to not hold a shaking (to some degree) gun. Every target I've ever hit is the product of shaking hands and eye protection that's not my prescription glasses... I bet if I wore my real glasses and took Dogman's advice about cutting caffeine, I'd be a good shot! (Except whenever I've tried the "no caffeine" route, I've gotten blinding headaches...like I said; "addict".)

Me too....and recently i had to go to decaffeinated coffee...due to blood pressure. I drink one cup of 50% reduced coffee in morning...decafe rest of day.

I do sneak in a Coke Zero once in a while. ;)

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    I'm in your boat...I have RA and Lupus...and when I get very tired...I have more trouble with control.

I try to only shoot when I am well rested. And I don't shoot for long periods of time. I may shoot....take a break....then shoot again.

I also don't expect myself to be nearly as accurate as I was when I was a young buck. ;)

i think thats the problem that im having right now... im only 23 but i know from all my score keeping(i.e. a big box of targets i keep in the shed) i was better when i was 20... i try to take frequent brakes when i shoot sometimes between every clip and it seems to help. but its almost like being drunk, you know you'll have a hangover in the morning so why not just have a good time now...

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Caffeine free coke here. Helps but still the sugar issue that Im not supposed to have. I survive on Powerade Zero and water.

You could always just check sugar level each time you go and see where you shoot the best. May not be in the exact spectrum the doctor recommends.

Glad the OP started this thread. Maybe Ill try a couple breaks in between shooting.

Caffeine will kill Blood Pressure. I had insomnia for about 20 years and hardly slept. Reason was caffeine. Since I got away from that, I sleep most nights and all night. I drug around every day and feel so much better. But a can of regular Coke will usually give me a headache the following day. BP is on the threshold of havng to up the meds.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

+1 to another caffeine addict! I go through about 6 liters of Pepsi® a day! I've tried to cut down, but man... I need that buzz.:rockwoot:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    you absolutely right. i might have 1 can of diet mt. dew a day and can go weeks on water alone. never really had the issue of caffeine making my hands shake... but i've been under enough stress to make my eye lid twitch... really getting some good advice here guys keep it up and thank you all.

Have you tried some of the aftermarket grips/grip sleeves? I know that they can do wonders even for a grip that is too big or small. I've got a Hogue grip on my Ruger P89, and it is wonderful!

*note* I have huge hands, YMMV.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    i think thats the problem that im having right now... im only 23 but i know from all my score keeping(i.e. a big box of targets i keep in the shed) i was better when i was 20... i try to take frequent brakes when i shoot sometimes between every clip and it seems to help. but its almost like being drunk, you know you'll have a hangover in the morning so why not just have a good time now...

Well, i am 51....this didn't onset with me until I was 45, or at least that was when it was diagnosed.

When I was young, tight groupings were never an issue....now days, it's a bit tougher.

If I go shoot 100 rounds.....my last 25 aren't nearly as good as my first 25.

The good news is, that in most self defense situations, I shouldn't need to shoot 75 rounds. :)

Besides, I only have enough clip space for 34 rounds ....:dunno:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Caffeine free coke here. Helps but still the sugar issue that Im not supposed to have. I survive on Powerade Zero and water.

You could always just check sugar level each time you go and see where you shoot the best. May not be in the exact spectrum the doctor recommends.

Glad the OP started this thread. Maybe Ill try a couple breaks in between shooting.

Caffeine will kill Blood Pressure. I had insomnia for about 20 years and hardly slept. Reason was caffeine. Since I got away from that, I sleep most nights and all night. I drug around every day and feel so much better. But a can of regular Coke will usually give me a headache the following day. BP is on the threshold of havng to up the meds.

i am waiting for caffeine free Coke Zero........;)

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Cut down on caffeine. My right arm and hand has nerve damage from a spider bite that happen in the 80's. I was speaking with my doctor about the shaking several years ago and he told me cut down on the caffeine. I do notice a difference. I went from 10 or more cups of coffee a day to 2 cups just in the morning.

I don't think I have even had 10 cups my whole life! I can relate though I am a pop addict trying to ween off. I do notice I get shaky if I drink too much!

Havent noticed it at the range, but still a good reason to quit.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I don't think I have even had 10 cups my whole life! I can relate though I am a pop addict trying to ween off. I do notice I get shaky if I drink too much!

Havent noticed it at the range, but still a good reason to quit.

Work nights for 13 years and you to can become a COFFEE ADDICT!! :D
    I don't think I had a cup of coffee until I was around 30 years old.

Top Bottom