• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MommaSarah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I have an issue with hands shaking pretty badly. The shaking is not related to actual shooting but I think a medicine I am on or possibly another underlying medical condition. I can't get them to stop when I am out on the range and it severely affects my aim. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and any tips you may be able to give me to help my aim. This is driving me absolutely nuts. :wallbash:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    ive never been diagnosed with either and have had shaky hands for a while...I noticed while I was in the corps that for some reason intense situations and training seemed to make it go away for me...idk why....it almost seems like my body produces too much adrenaline that gets used in stressful situations and calms me down....but I have no idea what causes it....an intense workout/fitness routine seems to help too....wen shooting pistols squeezing the holy hell out of the grip can help

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    All I can say is best of luck. Diabetes, Blood Sugar, Adrenaline, Tremors, Quakes. Best thing to do is talk to the doc until you can figure out what is going on.

Try shooting a couple hours after eating a decent meal and also several hours after. Just to see if there is any difference. I shake as well (not too bad), but I have got to watch what I eat and when. I always take food to the range with me for this reason.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I am not trying to insult or anything and this may not apply to you but lack of hand/upper-body strength could be at least a contributing factor. Increasing both might at least help.

Also, try a trick that I recently learned from a seminar by Col Dave Grossman that he said works to calm people (including snipers) down:

1) Inhale through the nose for a count of 4.
    2) Hold your breath for a count of 4.
    3) Exhale for a count of 4.
    4) Hold you breath for a count of 4.

The reason this works is that when the body is excited and adrenaline is being dumped into the system, breathing becomes short and rapid. Slowing down the breathing can "trick" the body into thinking there is no reason to be excited. Sorta like Pavlov's dogs.

Try doing this a couple of time before shooting and see if it make a difference.

Good luck in finding out what the problem(s) is/are.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I am not trying to insult or anything and this may not apply to you but lack of hand/upper-body strength could be at least a contributing factor. Increasing both might at least help.

This will help even if you have a slight medical problem.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I have an issue with shaking also. The doctors had me tested for ms, parkinsons and all the others. They ended up finding nothing wrong, and diagnosed it as "nuisance tremors". They put me on a beta blocker called inderol (propanolol) that I take 2 times a day. (it only costs $4 a month without insurance.) and it has made a world of difference in my whole life. I would get to the point where I had a hard time feeding myself, but now very rarely do I have any issues at all. Another plus is that it helps with high blood pressure and headaches.

I am not saying this would be the solution for you but may be something to think about. I wish I would have done it 10 years sooner.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    My brother has something the doctors said was involuntary tremors. It's only in his dominant hand. It only happens when he tries to concentrate on something like holding a pen to write or shoot a gun.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I would say aside from a medical condition you are probably not gripping your gun correctly or too tight all together. If you are right handed your grip should be 70% left hand 30% right hand. Yes you read that correctly I found myself gripping the gun really tight with my right hand to the point of shaking and it kills my accuracy. If you can get the correct grip and keep in your mind to stay calm and focused you will have better accuracy. I would recommend you take a shooting class that teaches better shooting techniques. It helped me significantly.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    For anyone affected by this problem, does the same thing happen when shooting a rifle?

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I have essential Tremor...which means that there seems to be no associated condition. On the medical front...nothing has helped. I have the most success with getting plenty of rest and doing without caffein.
    Pistol shooting is difficult with this condition,but by experimentation with a weird-oh modified left handed Weaver stance, and using arm push/pull grip, I manage to shoot what sometimes appear as groups.:n00b:
    My advice? check with a neurologist. They are successful at treating some types of tremors, but by all means...experiment to see what helps you personally. Good luck. You don't need to feel like The Lone Ranger on here from what I see.:)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have intermittent shaking. Sugar and pressure have been issues, but they're both well under control, between medication and lost weight. I'm almost off all my meds, in fact. I've had a couple of relatives with ALS and one with MS, but that line of inquiry is going nowhere. Adrenaline doesn't seem to affect me much, in light of other evidence. Definitely not a strength problem; I have kung fu grip, along with everything else in proportion. Sometimes it's too much just to write, sometimes I could do brain surgery. As long as I can hold minute-of-badguy I won't lose sleep over it.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    For anyone affected by this problem, does the same thing happen when shooting a rifle?
    I can only speak for myself, but the mass of a rifle dampens the oscillations, which are too rapid for the rifle to get moving one way before the reverse motion begins.
    For me , the net result is that the mere weight of any rifle is enough to drastically improve the situation.
    Not that I'm any great shot with a rifle, but I don't feel like the tremors are the limiting factor yet. But I'm even newer to rifles than I am to handguns, so theres lots of room / excuse for improvement (read practice). :D

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    I have shaking issues, too, but mine are pain related. I have a nasty issue now with what seems to be tendonitis in my right arm. I can hold weights ONE way, but the way one holds a pistol is the "bad" way for my particular set of pain bits. I'm trying to work it out, but without a second hand under the grip I'd not be able to (1) even hold the gun out, or (2) hold it steady.

Very annoying.

Tony

Top Bottom