• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Micah

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    www.branham.org
    I heard several times that indiana is a shall issue state when it comes to handing out LTCH. Can someone explain what that means and is it true? Is it really as simple as if you can purchase a gun you can have a LTCH?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I heard several times that indiana is a shall issue state when it comes to handing out LTCH. Can someone explain what that means and is it true? Is it really as simple as if you can purchase a gun you can have a LTCH?

If you have a clean record, the state SHALL issue you an LTCH.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    FAQ are your friend!

Micah, at the top of the page is a row of tabs. The one on the far right is labeled "FAQ." Click on it.

The next page will have the official INGO FAQ as a link. Click on it.

The first link listed will answer all of your questions.

You're welcome. :D

Micah

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    www.branham.org
    Micah, at the top of the page is a row of tabs. The one on the far right is labeled "FAQ." Click on it.

The next page will have the official INGO FAQ as a link. Click on it.

The first link listed will answer all of your questions.

You're welcome. :D

Opps lol...I guess I should have looked before asking. Thanks for the direction

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It means that the issuance of a license is not dependent on some police chief's personal discretion. His opinion on us lowly serfs carrying is completely irrelevant. As long as you are a "proper person" (as defined by law), then the state is required by law to issue you a carry license. Not all states are "shall issue". Some states are "may issue", and it's notoriously difficult to get a carry permit there. They should really be called "probably won't issue" states.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

I noticed that the applicant in this case gave "a proper reason" why he should be granted a LTCH, i.e. that he feared for his life. When I applied for my first Indiana LTCH back in the 80s, I had to provide a reason why I wanted the LTCH. My reason was very short, two words, "self defense".

Don't know when they stopped asking for "a proper reason", but that question is no longer on the application. Is that something that came out of this case?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Thanks for sharing the reference to this case.

I especially like the statement that what is essentially a may issue approach, "contravenes the essential nature of the constitutional guarantee. It would supplant a right with a mere administrative privilege which might be withheld simply on the basis that such matters as the use of firearms are better left to the organized military and police forces even where defense of the individual citizen is involved."

Top Bottom