• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I have a couple knives with serrated edges. Specifically, I have the Spyderco Assist that I use for work. What's the best method to sharpen the serrations?

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Good luck. I absolutely despise blade serrations, because I can't ever seem to get a factory edge back on them. I would recommend sending it to Spyderco or the link below.

Black Owl Customs - INGunOwners
    :+1:

for Tyler34/Black Owl customs. he is the best sharpener I know all my knives have come back with better than a factory edge.

w0kncx.jpg

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Honestly, it's lot easier to just not buy a serrated knife. Especially if you're gonna use it a lot because sharpening the serrations are a huge pain. And if you find someone to sharpen them, you'll probably pay a premium.

Good luck!

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Spyderco will sharpen any of there products for free (include $5 for return shipping) I like a mixed blade, but my Spyderco Dragonfly is 90% serrated.

I tried sharpening them myself with a tapered diamond rod, and I improved them some, but not good enough. I recently sent mine back for sharpening and it came back sharp as new and all cleaned up. Worth the $3 to send it in and $% to get it back. Next time I might give Black Owl a call.

I think serrations are worth it, If you really have to dig into something you're going to get the job done much easier with serrations, and think if the damage you'd be doing to a smooth edge...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    spyderco sharpmaker!, use the pointed part of the triangle on the serated side of the edge, then use the flat side on the back side of the blade,make 5 strokes on the serated side, and one stroke on the flat back side of the blade, use a 5 to 1 ratio

but the first thing you have to do is buy the sharpmaker (i got mine for 55.00 on amazon)

i had a OLD(i mean OLD) endura, with a full serrated edge, put back in my big box of crap i didnt use any more, cause it was dull(i mean butter knife dull) after i got my sharpmaker i tried it out and BAM! sharp again

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Lot of bias against serrated blades here, geez.

I agree with shootersix re: Sharpmaker. I've also used a ceramic crock stick with good results on my serrated blades.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have had good luck with a round chainsaw file...Small..And a triangular file ....Small But you will violate the factory edge shape.Where I was raised everybody who considered himself an outdoorsman had better be able to make his pocketknife shaving sharp! Serrated edge knives might be good in a few limited situations(like slicing bread) but overall IMO they are not for heavy users!

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    all of my serrated knives are only sharpened on one side... to sharpen you put the flat side to a stone and sharpen it that way.

You dont need to sharpen the beveled side.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Serrated edge knives might be good in a few limited situations(like slicing bread) but overall IMO they are not for heavy users!

I cut a lot of cardboard boxes at work, and the serrations keep cutting long after the main part of the blade is dull. That's my experience, anyway.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Edgemaintainance

I cut a lot of cardboard boxes at work, and the serrations keep cutting long after the main part of the blade is dull. That's my experience, anyway.

Good point...when I cut boxes I maintain a box knife edge with a small medium carborundum stone...you can get a lot of mileage out of one blade!

Top Bottom