• ...and so much more!
  • MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    A couple years ago I picked up a Cabela's 8" meat slicer in the bargain cave. It replace an antique meat slicer/boat anchor I had been using for years.

Saturday I was making a batch of beef jerky, so the slicer comes out to get the job done. It works fine, albeit a little slow with the meat being frozen when I cut it. Yet as I was cleaning everything up I noticed a nick in the blade(probably been there since I got it). Lucky me, the slicer comes with it's own handy sharpener! That doesn't even contact the cutting edge of the blade. :xmad:

Does anyone here know if a local(central IN) place could sharpen the blade on a meat slicer?
    I don't have a problem of shipping it somewhere either, if that's a better option. I just want it done right.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i little place in southern indiana called edgetech they take dull knicked cutting things and make them sharp again i work in the printing industry and i send them a 40 inch long hydrolic cutter blades to be sharpened, i think its 25.00 and takes about a week from drop off to pick up, they do ship blades ups and they also sharpen circular blades

we've used them for 30+ years, along with every other print shop in southernn indiana, illinois and Kentucky!

back in high school I remember my printing teacher throwing a fit, cussing, screaming, throwing a fit because some jackass student cut a tape gun in 1/2, it put a nick in the blade about 3/8 to a 1/4 in deep, and because of that, it shortened the life of the blade by 2-3 years!...man he was pissed!

EDGETEK, Inc. - Precision Grinding | Tool Sharpening | Custom Repairs and Fabrication

they'll hook you up, it'll be sharp, and it'll be right!

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Thanks shootersix! I will check them out.

I sharpen my hand tools myself: hand plane irons, chisels, lathe tools, etc. I have seen guys pull out a chisel and start whacking at it like it's a pry bar... makes me cringe, but also reinforces my rule of never loaning my tools out. Some people could tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Slicer blades are easy... you find the angle and just hold the stone in place. The motor does the work.

I think I'll pass on that. Several years ago I hooked my thumb over the guard on the antique slicer/boat anchor. Cut into the knuckle real good. My fingers aren't going that close to the spinney blade again.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom