• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Hey buddy....pick up a spyderco sharpmaker. It's a cost effective sharpening system that really does work.

Then, to finish it off, use that strop you bought and you will be gtg.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have quite a few tools for sharpening including washeta whetstones that come as a triangle shaped unit in coarse, medium and fine, Smith's ceramic sticks, a hard Arkansas stone from Garrett Wade tools. I have recently picked up a DMT whetstone in 'fine' grade for stainless blades. I am thinking of getting a Norton 4000/8000 for really fine work such as a couple of straight razors I have but have yet to use to any extent.

I also ordered a strop from the man above. ;)

Now to the heart of the matter. I've heard of people using a cinder block who state it isn't the tool but the technique. For the halibut I've used the unglazed underside rim of a coffee cup because I read it works and it didn't do bad at all. I just tried it to see if it would without real experimentation.

In this specialized world there is a place for everything. These straight razor folks know quite a bit about sharpening:::

Hones

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    There's very little I haven't been able to get hair-popping sharp with a spyderco sharpmaker.

creativeinside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    already got a strop from buck like a month or 2 back ;)

I have quite a few tools for sharpening including washeta whetstones that come as a triangle shaped unit in coarse, medium and fine, Smith's ceramic sticks, a hard Arkansas stone from Garrett Wade tools. I have recently picked up a DMT whetstone in 'fine' grade for stainless blades. I am thinking of getting a Norton 4000/8000 for really fine work such as a couple of straight razors I have but have yet to use to any extent.

I also ordered a strop from the man above. ;)

Now to the heart of the matter. I've heard of people using a cinder block who state it isn't the tool but the technique. For the halibut I've used the unglazed underside rim of a coffee cup because I read it works and it didn't do bad at all. I just tried it to see if it would without real experimentation.

In this specialized world there is a place for everything. These straight razor folks know quite a bit about sharpening:::

Hones

Top Bottom