• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I did a search for this type of thread, but I guess I suck at using the search function on this site. I have a Smith's pocket sharpener, but that's hardly good for putting a real edge on anything. What do you knife guys recommend? I don't have a price point in mind, just looking for some options to educate myself on.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I haven't found a great stone I like yet. I get a razor edge using wet/dry automotive sand paper. Wet it down (both sides) and stick it on a large piece of glass or a true flat surface. I will start with a stone then move to 1000 grit paper and finish with 2000 grit paper.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I get my stones from Amazon, I look for the right size then buy the one that is cheapest since it is hard to get a bad stone. Returns are free too if you call rather than use the e-form. I get a medium stone and a soft. fine stone then finish with 3000 or 2000 grit sand paper or a leather strop with green rouge on it then use the other side of the strop dry. YMMV bit I have wound up with knives so sharp I was almost afraid to use them doing it this way. If the knife isn't really dull, sand paper alone is a good cheap way to hone the edge. I do prefer a strop and I use a rather large, say 8" long by 4" wide, piece of leather that is glued to a piece of plywood with the green rouge. It is easy to use this way and eay to clean.

One thing a lot of folks forget it to clean the stones and strop of all the little bits of metal from previous sharpening caught it the pore off ot the stone or strop. Keep them clean and they will work a lot better than if you just keep putting more rouge on the strop for instance with washing the old crap off of it. That's the best advice of all in my opinon, keep your sharpening stiff cleaned up.

Top Bottom