• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    sharpening esee

Wanted to find out the angle and the best stone to use? Who makes the best sharpening system?

Thanks

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I believes esee come from the factory with a 20 decree inclusive angle. 4
    So 20 degrees per side. Any stone will do a fine job. Spyderco sharp maker is a great tool for keeping your edges very sharp

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Apparently I'm slightly retarded and can't maintain a consistent angle with a stone so I recommend the Smith's adjustable angle setup. $35 at Bass Pro has carbide and ceramic adjustable angle from 14-24 in 2 degree steps also does fixed angle serrated.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have a spyderco sharp maker... I can't keep a knife vertical to save my life.

Can't use a sharp maker very effectively if you can't hold the blade vertical! Doh!

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I have a spyderco sharp maker... I can't keep a knife vertical to save my life.

Can't use a sharp maker very effectively if you can't hold the blade vertical! Doh!

Just takes some practice bro. All my ESEEs can easily shave hair with using the sharp maker.

Gotta find a solution for the junglas tho. It's a bit large for the sharp maker.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Lansky makes a great sharpening kit that includes a jig setup so you get a consistant edge and you can adjust the angle.

I've got one and it works well. Just takes a very long time to sharpen a blade... at least for me anyway.

I finally got brave and bought a smith Arkansas tri-hone off of Amazon for cheap. A good blade and a steady hand makes sharpening a knife is alot easier than feared! It was intimidating at first, but those fears fell aside quickly after my first go with a good blade! It comes with an angle guide, but took a step and stopped using it as well with great results...

Good luck!

I am the cheese

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Try moving your sharpener. Set it at angles on the work surface. Keep it flat just rotate it to different positions. i.e. one o'clock, two o'clock etc etc. See if it helps or not.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    what can I put on the blade of my ESEE4 to get it to stop that little bit of what looks like rust or corrosion on the bare metal from coming around?

cmepp18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    what can I put on the blade of my ESEE4 to get it to stop that little bit of what looks like rust or corrosion on the bare metal from coming around?

I heard you could use the oil from your nose. I've never tried it personally. If you try it let us know how it works. It had to be the nose though, no other part of the face - something about the cartilage.

Top Bottom