• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I just bought Boker's new Rhino; a 3" fixed blade. Unfortunately, it came with a kydex sheath with no provision for carrying. So, I'm looking for someone in the Indy (7 counties) area to make a leather sheath for me. While I'd prefer a simple half sheath with a belt clip, I'll consider a loop. I'd appreciate your recommendations. Thanks.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Good post, same here. I have a Kabar Companion that needs a new leather sheath too.

Please post your leather sources!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Go to Tandy Leather and get a kit to make one yourself or just buy the leather and make what ever you want.

Last edited:

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I agree with JR, go to Tandy and give it a try. I just finished my first (for 7-1/2" Bowie), it's a little rough (but I'll get better the more I do). -- Greg

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    picture.php

All custom made just like they did it 100 years ago to fit the gun in it. $30

Last edited:

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    :lol2:

Not something I want to see.

But I might give Tandy's a try. All of my fixed blades have nylon sheaths, and needless to say, most are falling apart.

It would be nice to get something really sturdy on my side.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I've got a nice Buck fixed blade that, while the sheath itself is good aside from it being a formed nylon over a plastic insert, is a really nice sheath. However, the stupid belt loop is a cheaply attached POS like a piece of back pack nylon strapping sewn onto the back of the sheath. Same with the strap that goes around the handle with the snap inserted to keep the knife in.

I've been considering buying another sheath from Buck, and at $15, it's not a bad price, but that damn belt loop will probably do the exact same pull away being on my belt again. So, I've been considering a leather replacement. I know of a leather shop in Nashville, IN that might be able to do a decent job of customizing one for me, but I also know they sell leather scraps by the bag for cheap. I've been really debating on whether or not to ask them to do it, or do it myself. I'm leaning towards doing it myself, as I want a bag of scraps for some other leather items I've been thinking about making.

I don't, however, want to duplicate the current design for the sheath that came with it, even though I like it. I want something a bit, well, more.

I do also have a Buck 119 hunter that I've carried for years. It's sheath is leather wrapped around a plastic insert. It rattles when shook, which has always been weird to me. But aside from the fact that it's a bit longer on my belt than I want (the other one is much more manageable) I have and do carry it. I don't really want to replace the sheath for it, but I've recently considered making a new one for it too, to get rid of that rattle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    If you take the knife into Tandy and are prepared to leave it for a while, the gentleman who runs the place will be happy to make one for you. I have asked him about making a custom leather holder for my cell phone, brown basketweave to match my gunbelt, and he quoted me $25 for it.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I fell in love with the Tom Brown Tracker after seeing The Hunted. I found this site that makes some nice leather sheaths for the knife, and sells the knife too, which I'd love to have both. The Buck I have is an Alpha Hunter that has served me well. Especially after I cord wrapped the handle. The rubber is nice along the handle, but the edges that stick out above and below the rubber grips dug into my hand until I wrapped it.

The reason I'm correlating these two knives is because I really liked the way Benicio Del Toro carried the Tracker horizontally on his belt in the movie. So I searched for what kind of knife was being used, thinking I could find the Tracker and that sheath he used. I found that sheath by Hedgehog Leather, and that inspired me to make a horizontal sheath similar for my Buck Alpha.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Sorry, NHV, I don't own the Tracker, so I can't say.

And aside from the aforementioned metal digging into my hand fixed by a cord wrap, the Buck Alpha hasn't failed me at all. I haven't really abused it, but for the last several years I've owned it, it's held it's edge very well. The factory sheath for it is another story, which is why I want a horizontal leather sheath for it. I mainly got the Alpha because it's definitely one piece of metal with the grips attached as an afterthought. I was leery of my Buck 119 being a full tang, and it's a longer knife than I usually like on my belt for EDC. The Alpha is a great EDC, and as soon as I get this sheath thing figured out, it'll go back on my belt where it belongs.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Not to hi-jack, but I've heard bad reviews about the TBTracker... And that it's mainly gimmicky - What has been your experience, and what have you used it for, and where has it failed you?

I've been to the school twice, once on the East coast, once on the West coast, it probably will look gimmicky until you know how to use it. Survival and shelter building, it is the perfect tool.

I have the TB Tracker, and a few of the Browning Model 686 FDX's for future use.

The Hedgehog sheath is nice, my Tracker rides in one. I have sent them two other knives of mine to spec and build horizantal sheaths for, one is a Grohmann Moose, the other is a Becker Companion.

I'd love to find someone closer that builds them like Hedgehog, but until I do, they'll get my business.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Back to the original question - there is a leather shop in the East Washington Liberty Bell Flea Market. They are open on Fri, Sat, Sun and if you take them your knife they will make you a very nice heavy leather sheath to fit.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    There is a leather shop,east of Columbus on st rd 46,i will get a phone number. Caffeys leather Shop,makes harness,dog collars,repairs saddles.

Top Bottom