• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Has anyone ever tried the shed trap/collectors? I've seen this in a publication or web sight. Basically, a 'Z' shaped fence set-up with food/attractant at the inside corners of the 'Z'. The deer's antlers are supposed to get trapped in the fencing when they stick their head in to eat. I've never set one up. I have found a few sheds from time to time, unfortunately I've found more skull of bucks with antlers than sheds.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Has anyone ever tried the shed trap/collectors? I've seen this in a publication or web sight. Basically, a 'Z' shaped fence set-up with food/attractant at the inside corners of the 'Z'. The deer's antlers are supposed to get trapped in the fencing when they stick their head in to eat. I've never set one up. I have found a few sheds from time to time, unfortunately I've found more skull of bucks with antlers than sheds.
    I did this for a couple years and got a big fat zero . A tried a couple different styles and configurations .

I found my largest set off sheds this year . It was just dumb luck , they weren't anywhere close to each other . Probably close to 1/4 mile apart , I would guess low 150's 10 pt.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We just alerted the sheriff that we have our resident shed trespasser identified and on camera repeatedly. He will be getting several trespassing citations and I have asked the LEO to try to obtain as search warrant to look for sheds that have been pilfered from my property and any receipts for sales of shed that he has made.

I have had it.

I hope it works.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Finally after 4 years, my shed dog Dave, proved himself. I pulled into the driveway to find a big 5 point side in my yard. He'll find them when I'm with him but this is a first. It's usually deer leg bones and rib cages.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Here I expected to come in here and either find a bunch of pics of toolsheds all over someone's wall, or find someone either in or on top of a toolshed with a shotgun.

I read a little and "...oh. SHED hunting. Makes sense."

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I went out yesterday in Lawrence county for a couple of hours, but had no luck. I found a pelvis bone from a young deer, but that was all. Last year I found a pair of sheds right next to each other kayed out and soaced perfectly. I figure the buck jumped and when he landed they both popped off together.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I found this one about 10 days ago from a nice 10 pointer that I had on camera last year. No tine length or main beam length, but the base is beer can size. He should be nice next fall.

Right now my trail cams are still showing a lot of bucks still carrying antlers as of this past weekend. I put a lot of miles on my boots this past weekend and never found a shed, just a couple old dead heads of tiny bucks from years gone by.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Found a skull and vertebrae last w/e while bush hogging. Pedicels were clean and meat still on it so I'm guessing someone's poor shot last fall finally fed the coyotes. May walk some this w/e. Saw a group out in a picked field this week in northern IL. One buck with one antler among 'em.

Top Bottom