• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SqueezedEmu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    I am aware of the risks of loading a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber, but I was curious of the other way around. I have a Savage 12ga single shot. That I know very little about and I would like to shoot it using the excess 2 3/4" shells that I bought for my Maverick 88, but the barrel on the Savage says 3" Chamber and unlike my Maverick it gives no specific shell size. I wouldn't imagine it would be an issue because I can fire both 3" and 2 3/4" out of the Maverick.
    My question being:
    Would firing 2 3/4" shells out of my Savage with a 3" chamber cause any structural damage or catastrophic failure? How about long term use of 2 3/4" shells?

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i would say yes but then again i would think if it would be safe for 2 3/4 it would be marked on the gun, some one else thats knows more than i do will chime in and give the best answer.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is no problem on a break open gun. Some early Semi autos that are made for heavy load 3 inch shells will not properly function with 2-3/4 inch target shells lake you would use on a trap or skeet field. A shot shell only develops 8,000 to 10,000 lbs of presure, and all the shot is contained in the plastic shot cup that is now made as part of the wad, so it is not like you will hurt the chamber. No problem at all. Good Luck

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    This is no problem on a break open gun. Some early Semi autos that are made for heavy load 3 inch shells will not properly function with 2-3/4 inch target shells lake you would use on a trap or skeet field. A shot shell only develops 8,000 to 10,000 lbs of presure, and all the shot is contained in the plastic shot cup that is now made as part of the wad, so it is not like you will hurt the chamber. No problem at all. Good Luck
    This is pretty much the best answer ^^^

There is no danger in firing a shorter shell in a shotgun, but in some semi-autos, you may experience FTE with under-powered ammo. Most modern autos though won't have any problems.

The danger comes when firing a shell longer than spec. Because shells actually open up and they are longer after they are fired, the chamber in a shotgun is cut longer to account for this. That means that a 3" shell will chamber just fine in a 2 3/4" gun. But when it fires, the petals on the crimp will open up into the forcing cone and restrict the flow of the wad/shot. This could be dangerous.

As long as the shell you are using is equal to or shorter than the chamber spec then there is no danger of the crimp opening up into the forcing cone.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    This is pretty much the best answer ^^^

There is no danger in firing a shorter shell in a shotgun, but in some semi-autos, you may experience FTE with under-powered ammo. Most modern autos though won't have any problems.

The danger comes when firing a shell longer than spec. Because shells actually open up and they are longer after they are fired, the chamber in a shotgun is cut longer to account for this. That means that a 3" shell will chamber just fine in a 2 3/4" gun. But when it fires, the petals on the crimp will open up into the forcing cone and restrict the flow of the wad/shot. This could be dangerous.

As long as the shell you are using is equal to or shorter than the chamber spec then there is no danger of the crimp opening up into the forcing cone.

If I wanted to have my chamber extended from 3" to 3.5" on my Mossberg 695 bolt action, would it be safe, or well possible?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    On your Mossberg Bolt shotgun, I think I would call Mossberg to see if that model is available in 3-1/2 inch and ask a tech if there are any other differences in the barrel. I would hate for you to get into a situation where the metal is too thin and something breaks. Depending on gunsmithing costs, you may be better off trading yours in for a different model.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    On your Mossberg Bolt shotgun, I think I would call Mossberg to see if that model is available in 3-1/2 inch and ask a tech if there are any other differences in the barrel. I would hate for you to get into a situation where the metal is too thin and something breaks. Depending on gunsmithing costs, you may be better off trading yours in for a different model.
    Yup, the manufacturer would know best if it could be done. They would also be able to tell you if there is a similar model with a longer chamber.

Is this bolt shotgun a slug-gun? Most of the time with a rifled slug gun you want to keep the chamber matched to your shells. This keeps the jump to the lands shorter and theoretically makes your shots more accurate.

Top Bottom