Shemane Nugent arrested at TX airport with gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I don't understand how people can "forget" where they left their loaded gun. I've been shooting and carrying for 8 years now and have never forgot where I put a gun.

That's why you don't understand it yet, because you haven't done it.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't bring my guns to the airport, but I'll never understand why free men can't carry on a plane or agree with that law. As noted above, stupid law as stupid is.

sigpro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Avon
    Never said I haven't made silly mistakes, but forgetting where your loaded gun is isn't silly. It's stupid and you should be smart enough not to misplace it. I've misplaced keys, cell phones, and wallets before but always seem to know where all my guns are.

iamhdr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Never said I haven't made silly mistakes, but forgetting where your loaded gun is isn't silly. It's stupid and you should be smart enough not to misplace it. I've misplaced keys, cell phones, and wallets before but always seem to know where all my guns are.

A woman forgetting that she has a gun in her bag isn't stupid. Leaving a gun on a ledge in a restroom or unsecured in a home with small children or something similar is stupid. No one could get hurt because she has a gun in her bag. If anything is stupid in this situation it's that law.

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    A woman forgetting that she has a gun in her bag isn't stupid. Leaving a gun on a ledge in a restroom or unsecured in a home with small children or something similar is stupid. No one could get hurt because she has a gun in her bag. If anything is stupid in this situation it's that law.

Sorry, but I disagree. I have no sympathy for people who are careless with their firearms under any circumstances. Owning a gun is not only a major right, but a major responsibility. In my opinion if you repeatedly show recklessness with a firearm then I think you should not be able to carry one.

One of my friends used to have a lot of parties, and this guy would always come over and show off his gun. He would pull it out from the holster under his jacket and he would sweep the party-goers with his finger on the trigger. Multiple people would duck and get out of the way and yell at him, but he would do it again and again. This guy should have lost his right to carry his firearm at a minimum.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    This same thing happened to a local businessman a couple years back and pretty much the same reaction: "How could anyone FORGET their loaded gun! So irresponsible! Giving us a bad name!" etc. Fact is, honest mistakes happen and as I said back then, the appropriate response would have been to take her aside to a private location and question her and do a thorough background check. If everything looks OK, send her home with her firearm.

I believe any punishment is inappropriate because it just isn't rational for anyone (even if they are trying to get away with it) to bring a gun through airport security. It WILL be discovered. When was the last time a "bad guy" was caught doing this? Let's stop punishing the "good guys". This woman's name and her mistake should never have been made public.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    This same thing happened to a local businessman a couple years back and pretty much the same reaction: "How could anyone FORGET their loaded gun! So irresponsible! Giving us a bad name!" etc. Fact is, honest mistakes happen and as I said back then, the appropriate response would have been to take her aside to a private location and question her and do a thorough background check. If everything looks OK, send her home with her firearm.

I believe any punishment is inappropriate because it just isn't rational for anyone (even if they are trying to get away with it) to bring a gun through airport security. It WILL be discovered. When was the last time a "bad guy" was caught doing this? Let's stop punishing the "good guys". This woman's name and her mistake should never have been made public.

This also happened to an IL representative last year as well and it happens more than most think. It's just that most people are not famous. There was an attorney that did this a few years ago, only she didn't get caught, she handed the gun over to police when she arrived at her destination.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm sure everyone would be just as forgiving and understanding if it was the wife or girlfriend of a rapper.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I think she got so use to having a gun it just becomes apart of you and your life.....not sure how old she is but the older you get I realize I forget stuff myself, its not like she is a criminal looking to do evil. No one was harmed, no ND.....but I bet she turned pale white. And of course, she may be considered a criminal now....which if they do press charges maybe she and Ted can crank out a Rap album.....I mean how many thugs got the guts to try and carry at a airport? Shoot I remember when Elvis got on a passenger jet with his gun and they let him fly.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I think she got so use to having a gun it just becomes apart of you and your life.....not sure how old she is but the older you get I realize I forget stuff myself, its not like she is a criminal looking to do evil. No one was harmed, no ND.....but I bet she turned pale white. And of course, she may be considered a criminal now....which if they do press charges maybe she and Ted can crank out a Rap album.....I mean how many thugs got the guts to try and carry at a airport? Shoot I remember when Elvis got on a passenger jet with his gun and they let him fly.
    They can afford the best lawyers, so she will probably get off with no charges filed. If it was I, who forgot about the gun, little leniency would be given.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don't know anyone who carries an unloaded gun, so I figured it was loaded. And part of being a responsible gun owner is knowing where your guns are at all time. Glad she forgot it in her bag and not somewhere where a kid or someone else could get to it and something bad happened. It's stuff like this that gives people who carry a bad name.

If you carry very often for very long, it becomes a normal part of your attire. You stop actively thinking about it, and can at times completely forget it's there. It isn't irresponsible, the laws regarding air travel and airport security are irrational. In fact if you know the gun is there, your holster/belt isn't doing a very good job. Given that she had the gun in a bag, this would be even easier.

If you're innocent, you have nothing to fear or hide... RIGHT!?:laugh:

Pathetic where things have ended up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the not so distance past this wasn't arrest worthy and you would just be turned away?

iamhdr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Sorry, but I disagree. I have no sympathy for people who are careless with their firearms under any circumstances. Owning a gun is not only a major right, but a major responsibility. In my opinion if you repeatedly show recklessness with a firearm then I think you should not be able to carry one.

One of my friends used to have a lot of parties, and this guy would always come over and show off his gun. He would pull it out from the holster under his jacket and he would sweep the party-goers with his finger on the trigger. Multiple people would duck and get out of the way and yell at him, but he would do it again and again. This guy should have lost his right to carry his firearm at a minimum.

I agree that putting people in danger is wrong but no one is put in danger when a woman carries a gun in her bag. It's a pointless, arbitrary law.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    This also happened to an IL representative last year as well and it happens more than most think. It's just that most people are not famous. There was an attorney that did this a few years ago, only she didn't get caught, she handed the gun over to police when she arrived at her destination.

It happens all the time, everyday. In lots of places. The fact is the anti-gun, anti- freedom crowd is going to use this to show that a NRA board member is irresponsible. And those that only read headlines, will think it was Ted and not his wife, or that he was involved in some way. But Ted will survive and so will his lovely wife. I hope she does not lose her right to carry of this. It was a honest mistake. Pierce Morgan is having a field day with this on Twitter, which makes me sick.

111NMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Somewhere, there is a prosecutor that will try and make a huge federal case out of this. I hope it doesnt happen, because i agree that it was an honest mistake. Still, somebody is salivating at the thought of making their bones on Uncle Ted and his wife.

Top Bottom