• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    This was a post from the GOA Facebook site: (Kudos to Sheriff Rogers!)

Sheriff Bradley D. Rogers posted to Larry Pratt
    11 hours ago
    I recently had a reporter who asked me about President Obama’s proposed/actual gun control measures and if I was concerned about the number of people who are applying for firearms permits in Elkhart County. It hasn't hit the print media yet, but here is my response: "The US Constitution, Article I, Section 8, is clear what the Federal government should concern themselves in our nation. Gun control is not one of them. The issue of any gun laws should be the individual states. However, in that endeavor, the states are limited by their own constitutions. For example, The Indiana Constitution has a clear message in Article I, Section 32: “The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.” As a Sheriff who upholds his Oath of Office to support and defend the US and Indiana Constitutions, I will not be a part of enforcing any federal law or presidential order that is contrary to those Constitutions. As such, there are concerns from citizens of this county that there may be a gun confiscation, of which will not occur in this county while I am Sheriff. As for those seeking gun permits, the increased demand for gun permits are absolutely not a concern for this Sheriff. The more people who are carrying firearms for legal purposes, the more polite our society will be. I do encourage firearm owners to have the ability to keep firearms secure from children and burglars, and to receive appropriate training from civilian firearms trainers."

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    To bad we can't get a statement like that from our sheriff in our county (St Joseph). Oh, that's right, he is part of the Democratic machine of St Joseph county.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Great audio.

Not to mince words but a car is a modern day horse and buggy and people do have a right to travel.

IMO, driving isn't, or at least shouldn't be considered a privilege. This idea that Rights come from the Constitution is absurd.

Now, you can lose your Right to drive if you were to abuse that Right.

Drivers licensing is as bad as carry licensing.

In this day of so many look alike vehicles, requiring a uniquely numbered plate on the back of a vehicle, at a cost of administering such a system (not a tax) is necessary. I would think with automated systems and the internet, a cost of $5 or less for such a plate would be sufficient. No yearly renewal, the owner of the plate would simply be required to update the registry if any information changed.

In any case, at least the Sheriff seems to mostly have his hat on strait when it comes to the second amendment.

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    Elkhart can really be proud of our Sheriff. Still, it's pretty pathetic that we all get excited when a public servant promises to follow the law and his oath of office. Why is that such a "man bites dog" event?

Top Bottom