• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's difficult for me to make a fair comparison since they are both great guns, but I would go with the Shield. The Shield is more difficult to obtain right now and will be much easier to sell if he realizes he doesn't like it for some reason.

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    I shot a friends shield 40 the other day and I was impressed. It handled the 40 very well.
    I'd rather have the 9mm, but the gun was sweet

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    On xd forum they have been having some problems with the XDS. My Shield 1500 rds no problems at all.

SyntorX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I bought the 40 hoping I can buy a 9mm barrel (whenever they are available). I never found any definitive proof that a Shield 40 will accept a 9mm barrel as a "drop-in" but I do know the M&P 40c will shoot 9mm by just changing the barrel.
    Time will tell...but if anyone knows for sure, let me know!

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have both, plan is to get wife more time with shield, get her, her LTC, then it be her EDC.

XDs is a great little .45 with easily controlled recoil, nice trigger (similar to other XDs), extended mags (7) readily available. It's destined to be EDC. Flawless thus far using FMJ, hope to confirm my HST HP, & 7 rnd mags in very near future, then set for EDC.

I gravitate towards .45, so I favor XDs, if shield were a .45 , & as sweet as it is in 9mm, then shield (tad better ergo).

Not a bad or even so-so choice if you can only own one.

Bahrutile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    I have an xds, I'm looking at edc guns for my gf, I'd love for her to shoot the shield, she has shot the xds, it's a bit snappy for her though I think she could work at controlling it better better more practice

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Put 150 rounds FMJ Tula Steel Cased through my XDslim a few days ago. First time firing since I got it a week prior (just couldn't get to the range).

Thoughts:

WOW.

Slimness and ease of carry aside (knew that the first day).

The handling was very surprising. As small as it was I expected some pretty bad recoil. I was very pleasantly surprised. Recoil was VERY manageable though I will say that after 150 rounds of 230grn 45 of pretty continuous fire (pauses only to reload - I was using two extended mags and one standard), I have no regrets in my purchase.

Top Bottom