• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    It seems like this feature is a deal breaker for some. The safety is so unobtrusive that I am uncertain as to why. It is easy to use if one likes a safety as well as easy to dismiss if one does not care for it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It seems like this feature is a deal breaker for some. The safety is so unobtrusive that I am uncertain as to why. It is easy to use if one likes a safety as well as easy to dismiss if one does not care for it.

I feel the same way. For those who philosophically can't stand a safety, however, there is hope...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

I've fondled and shot a Shield, and I'm aware of how unlikely it is for the safety to accidentally be engaged, but I'd still prefer to take the possibility out of the equation. I was planning on picking up a Shield at some point, but now I may wait for this model...

Or I may buy one of the used ones that will possibly flood the market once this one is released, who knows. :dunno:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I've fondled and shot a Shield, and I'm aware of how unlikely it is for the safety to accidentally be engaged, but I'd still prefer to take the possibility out of the equation.

This. I've even owned a couple of them but that safety thing has always nagged me and they ended up on the chopping block. Mr Murphy just seems to pop up at the worst times and a safety that PROBABLY won't engage would choose to at the worst moment. Best for it to not be there in the first place.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I bought the gun specifically because it did have a safety. I'm fairly new to carrying and like to have the peace of mind of a manual safety. I've incorporated the thumb sweep into my draw and it doesn't take much, if any extra time and feels very natural for me. At the same time, I realize what makes me comfortable and draws me to a particular gun isn't the same for other gun owners. At least this way there is a choice and there will end up being more owners of this fantastic carry gun :)

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I've fondled and shot a Shield, and I'm aware of how unlikely it is for the safety to accidentally be engaged, but I'd still prefer to take the possibility out of the equation. I was planning on picking up a Shield at some point, but now I may wait for this model...

Or I may buy one of the used ones that will possibly flood the market once this one is released, who knows. :dunno:
    I agree with this statement. I have recently went back to carrying my Glock 26 for this reason. I want one less thing to think about if and when I ever had to use my gun in a self defense scenario.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    The Shield's safety is pretty stout and it takes some concerted effort to move it. I don't see it as a problem at all. But I also carried an M9a1 beretta at one time, so checking the safety was a training thing. It's great that they are offering one without it for those that can't stand them, but I won't be selling mine for one.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I agree with this statement. I have recently went back to carrying my Glock 26 for this reason. I want one less thing to think about if and when I ever had to use my gun in a self defense scenario.

This, and me being a lefty sent me to the XDS 9. However, I'll take a very good look at the new one once the bugs are worked out. Sounds like a great new option for us southpaws.

Pmpkn8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Pendleton Area
    I love my XDM's. I love how they shoot. Had the shield I picked up had the safety features of the XDM and shot as well, at the range, I'd own a few of those in place of my XDM's. I absolutely love how the M&P and Shield fit in my hand. The curve of the trigger, all of it. I've never held a more comfortable pistol. It just shot like ass comparatively, and I really didn't want to deal with a real safety.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    That is how I feel about my Kahr that I carry. I was always told the best safety was in between your ears anyway.

This is one of the reasons why I'm keeping my CM9 rather than switching to the Shield. The other is the CM9 is still smaller. I shot the Shield for the first time this morning, and really liked it, and the safety did not seem bad at all. It is how you train. I occasionally carry a Hi-Power, so I am used to sweeping the safety when I draw, but sometimes I wonder if in a crisis if the safety could be a problem. Not an issue with the CM9. I did notice the Shield had a shorter trigger pull than the CM9. The longer pull and what is between my ears seems like a good safety to me. Shorter trigger pull, would take some getting used to with no safety.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Why couldn't you just take the thumb safety out of an existing gun if you don't want it in there?

The Shield is constructed slightly differently than the larger M&P pistols in that the safety lever is more "integral"...or so I've been told. I've honestly not detail stripped my Shield yet to determine for sure.

On my formerly owned 9c - it was easy to remove the sear block and the safety lever just came right out.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    S&W supposedly said they were going to do a no-safety "LE" version from the get-go, but due to difficulty in keeping up with the demand of the regular model, kept pushing it back. So, hopefully legit.

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    i used to say there is no way you can accidentally engage the safety on a shield. To my surprise, i have accidentally engaged the safety on my shield. i carry it everyday and sure enough i did. i think my thumb knuckle moved it up while i was positioning it and my iwb holster. but to be honest, i'm not real sure.

eachitandi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Plymouth
    I bought the gun specifically because it did have a safety. I'm fairly new to carrying and like to have the peace of mind of a manual safety. I've incorporated the thumb sweep into my draw and it doesn't take much, if any extra time and feels very natural for me. At the same time, I realize what makes me comfortable and draws me to a particular gun isn't the same for other gun owners. At least this way there is a choice and there will end up being more owners of this fantastic carry gun :)

My thoughts exactly. I could see why a lefty wouldn't want to have the safety engaged on the shield, but with minimal practice, you can have the safety disengaged before you even have the weapon extended out in front of you.

I don't judge those who choose not to engage it, but the "safety between MY ears" tells me to have mine on...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    i used to say there is no way you can accidentally engage the safety on a shield. To my surprise, i have accidentally engaged the safety on my shield. i carry it everyday and sure enough i did. i think my thumb knuckle moved it up while i was positioning it and my iwb holster. but to be honest, i'm not real sure.

I have read where others, not many though, have accidentally engaged the safety as well.

Top Bottom