• longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I just knew it!

shiftchangeforthepanhandlers.jpg

I have always thought the panhandlers at 37 and West 3rd street were all working as a team.

There are three people in this picture. A black man, white man and a lady. What you are seeing is the black man giving the sign to the two replacements.

Just another reason not to give to street beggars...............:xmad:

He told the couple he only made $130 today at this corner.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    yeah there are some real characters panhandling around 37 / highland village area. that guy likes to get right up in your window at the intersection of liberty and bloomfield road.

not a very professional way to conduct his business if you ask me.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    yeah 37 and 3rd. and liberty and 45 are the two biggies. I really hate when it's a red light and they just walk up and down the row of stopped cars right up on the people in their window.:xmad:

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    When I worked in AZ part of my job for a short time was bringing inmates back for court. When we checked them out of the jail we would take bagged lunches from the jail for them and one day they gave us 3-4 too many. My partner and I passed some guys with a sign saying "starving, need food" and we stopped and tried to give them the extra lunches.......we got cussed out by them. We had some good laughs over that.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    If the black fellow is the one I think it is, he has been around Bloomington for a long time. He used to hit Kirkwood pretty heavy, but he seems to hang on the west side of town these days.

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    I saw one of the panhandlers in Terre Haute over by the Dairy Queen on Davis and 41. He was talking on a brand new Iphone 4, and just got out of his rather nice honda civic. I also hate when they use their kids as a motive for people to give them money...Saw a couple with their kid a few weeks ago by the Mcdonalds on south 3rd street...Almost wanted to call DCS.:xmad:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Yeah, when we are forced to stop at that intersection, with the panhandlers there (and they are always there) We find ourselves much more aware of our EDCs.
    It's sad, really, :(

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    They do the same thing on the nortside of Indianapolis on the entrance/exit ramps of 465 (Meridian, Keystone, etc). The lights there can take a while to change and the land is government owned so it's perfect to camp out at for the day. Same situation - car drops them off in the morning and picks them up later. Some, if not all of them, are working together by taking shifts and traveling in the same vehicles. Makes me wonder if there is a ringleader taking a cut of everybody's daily earnings or something?

Either way, I don't believe for a moment these people are genuinely in dire need as their signs suggest. Way too much coordination, use of the same corners every time, etc.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    there used to be a guy a few years ago over around highland village either at the bob evans stop light or the one for marsh and kroger. he would stand on crutches and bang his leg as if it was dead sometimes with a metal brace type thing. so one night we were eating at golden corral and what do I see but that guy walking around as if a miracle had happened. ever since then I have not given any panhandler the time of day no matter how good the can act. it really seems to have reached epidemic proportions in the last couple years, I remember just a few years ago this thread would not have been here because they just weren't out like they are now.

Top Bottom