• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lakeman62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Syracuse area
    Just looking for some info on shimming a scope. I have read a couple threads that say it is not good to shim a sope mounted on a double base system. I have a situation where I need to get close to 10" of adjustment to be zeroed and I'm all out of adj. It seems to be a common situation but looking for some words of wisdom, I've seen everything from adding base shims to using aluminum foil to shim under the scope. a common theme is it's something anyone can do and not to pay a gunsmith for this alteration. thoughts/advise? My set-up is shooting close to 10" low with the scope set to the highest setting. Thanks :dunno:

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    More info? At what range is it shooting 10" low? What is the rifle? If it's a bolt gun, do you already have a canted base? There shouldn't really be any reason you can't get zeroed, unless you have a damaged scope, or are mounted wrong to start with. If you are truly maxed out on elevation, and are shooting at 100 yards, what's your plan if you need to shoot 500?

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I have a converted Military rifle who's scope mounting holes were apparently was drilled a little less than straight with the bore. I had to find a way to shim left to right, I found these.

Posi-Align Offset Inserts

Signature Rings - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

This will allow you to "shim" up, down or left and right if you want to and because of the spherical mounts nothing will be in a bind. The scope will be unharmed.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    More info? At what range is it shooting 10" low? What is the rifle? If it's a bolt gun, do you already have a canted base? There shouldn't really be any reason you can't get zeroed, unless you have a damaged scope, or are mounted wrong to start with. If you are truly maxed out on elevation, and are shooting at 100 yards, what's your plan if you need to shoot 500?
    This ^^^

There is something very wrong with your setup if you can't even get zeroed at 100.

I would look into a canted base...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What scope, base, rings, gun are you running. Some scopecompanies are getting really bad about producing a scope that looks like a bargin, but they cut costs by cutting internal travel. Im not saying that is your issue, but it cant be eliminated without more info

Top Bottom